The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Bike lifts
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 106
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,791
Views: 369,139
0 shop recommendations in Westside Los Angeles
Last Post: slamtry
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 145
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,379
Views: 1,815,141
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,783
Views: 474,298
0 1974 35mm fork boots
Last Post: XL100
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 6
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,475
Views: 7,178,073
0 Share your Man Cave Garage ideas
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 281
0 What weight oil?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 447
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 14,270
Views: 802,460
0 1964 Ironhead Magneto Timing with high compression pistons
Last Post: MDT
Replies: 11
Views: 423
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 428
0 Grüezi aus der Schweiz
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 11
Views: 373
0 Huge cock up (XR1200 Clutch Mod)
Replies: 68
Views: 2,433
0 Think my stator needs replaced
Replies: 32
Views: 1,843
0 This week on Craig's list
Replies: 4,440
Views: 542,469
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Replies: 46
Views: 7,083
0 Powerraythor conversion
Replies: 1
Views: 108
0 Questions on popping after start
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 8
Views: 190
0 OEM front brake pads vs EBC double h
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 6
Views: 111
0 C.O.B.B. CBD oil
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 51
0 Which Battery?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 40
Views: 13,180
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,558
Views: 218,824
0 Winter battery service
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 269
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,583
Views: 340,712
0 lighter clutch
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 318
4 Fire
Last Post: Sportycus
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 58
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 5,227
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 116
Views: 10,125
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,956
Views: 1,413,236
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
1975, 1980, ironhead, skwerly, sportster

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerly View Post
Yes, going to clearance the cover. Good eye! No kick stuff unfortunately.
your left case has the kicker hole block off plug and the kicker stop pin already installed - the only thing stopping you from adding a kicker is the pedal, arm, shaft, some small hardware, and maybe a ratchet plate on the back of your clutch basket. does your clutch basket already have that on the back of it now?
Old 8th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Unsure
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Skwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
your left case has the kicker hole block off plug and the kicker stop pin already installed - the only thing stopping you from adding a kicker is the pedal, arm, shaft, some small hardware, and maybe a ratchet plate on the back of your clutch basket. does your clutch basket already have that on the back of it now?
hmmmmm, unsure, to be honest. I'll have to check next time I'm over there wrenching. Thank you!
Old 8th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

This is what Yer lookin for.
Old 8th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Skwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud ofSkwerly has much to be proud of

Aha! thank you so much for that, I'll definitely check as that part isn’t buttoned up yet, it's just sitting on there, basically.

My best guess is it's there.
Old 8th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Question, and I may create a separate thread for it, but figured I'd ask here to keep it all neat and clean.

I ordered drag pipes because of the price. I know I will not like drag pipes as they will be way too effing loud and they'll lose the low-end power I love so much.

What should I do with these? TTI them? Add mufflers? Ditch them completely and go with a reasonable exhaust once I have a few dollars again?
Old 8th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...d.php?t=247790

Then there's my favorite,
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/s...istory:99xx-01
Old 8th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Excellent. Now to pour more coffee and read.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 8th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I ordered drag pipes because of the price.
What follows is NOT criticism.

One of the biggest issues with these bikes is buying parts on price. Take your time, save your pennies and buy the very best parts you can.

If you have not owned an ironhead before, try to do your best to keep it stock for now. Ride the wheels off it for a season or two -- then make changes to address what you don't like about the bike. They are amazingly great bikes in stock configuration -- but often we inherit them after they've been modified a lot. As a result the bikes may look or sound cool; but the excellent riding characteristics have been "engineered" out of them by well intentioned previous owners.

And, I'm not preaching. I've been in the same situation many times when I needed a part to keep a bike on the road but ye olde bank account didn't support it.

When I was cutting my teeth 30 years ago, I would regularly pick up bikes with trashed pipes. I got really good at stripping rusted chrome and painting headers

I'd then go over to the EMGO catalog and order up a set of relatively inexpensive mufflers. I had to do this recently on my winter bike. The stock exhaust headers were an eye watering $400 with the cross over; the stock mufflers were another $400. Sinking $800 into an exhaust system just wasn't in the cards. So, I managed to scrounge up a NOS set of headers (basically drag pipes) for $150 and then got two EMGO dunstall-style mufflers for $40/ea. All with free shipping! I had clamps on the shelf and made simple brackets to hang them from flat stock I also had lying around.

At just over 200 bones; I had a nice functional system. Bike is happy -- tone is pretty good; no power loss. But the sucky part is that the EMGO chrome is really poor. Blisters appeared within a few weeks. Granted, it's from exposure to road salt and the fact I don't wash bikes . . . but forewarned is forearmed.

Oddly, the NOS headers have only blued --- but not a bit of rust despite being caked in road salt and spray.
Old 8th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some cool stuff I got with the other roller, which is a K:

This front end will likely find its way onto the 1980 build because it's cool as hell.

I'm not sure from your post if you're saying you got a second bike that is a k model; but the pictures here don't show K model parts.

See here for a full explanation:
http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/frames/index.html
Old 9th March 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks, Chuck, for that input! No offense taken, trust me—I wasn't thrilled with the drag pipes to begin with but I thought I could probably cut them once the bike is running and use some slip-ons or something similar. If there is anything I've learned thru years of riding, it's don't skimp on brakes, tires, and exhaust.

A lot of what I'm doing to this bike is just to get it running, get it *over here* so that I can slowly upgrade parts and eventually make the bike into what I truly want. Oh, it won't be bad to start by any means, but there were a few small corners cut, like the exhaust.

I hear you, loud and clear. When I started this, I was completely in the dark about exhausts causing power loss. I figured jeez, I wonder why these cool straight pipes are so cheap! I clicked 'buy now' before I did research, and that was on me lol.

Still, I'm sure I can do something to salvage low and mid power out of them while I save up for a real exhaust.

Re the roller, to be honest I'm a little unsure about the second frame and parts. All that came with the deal and at this point, I have only researched '70s engines and '80 bikes, since that's what I have.

I'm told it's an old K frame, year is not known (I can figure this out pretty easily once I get to it), but it's definitely different from the Ironhead I'm building. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that 100% of the parts are not at all meant for that frame.

I gotta get the #s off that bad boy and see what the instanets say.