The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > OFF TOPIC > Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves This area is for veterans and military members of all countires can discuss vet issues.

Active Threads
0 Rubbermount Poll
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 249
Views: 76,937
0 Oil Level: Hot vs Cold
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 111
0 Were your parents anti bike?
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 339
0 Sportster Camshaft Degreeing ?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 5,532
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 10,493
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 578
Views: 31,025
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,435
Views: 676,888
0 Hi from the UK
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 115
0 Front brake shorting?
Last Post: Hughieboy
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 317
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,653
Views: 171,986
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Vegas_Charger_Fan
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,050
Views: 274,650
0 Question of the month?!
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 87
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 9,282
Views: 1,421,265
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 41,835
Views: 6,451,781
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 7,532
Views: 1,402,305
0 Keith Black Conversion
Last Post: 1HD4CJM1X4K
Replies: 48
Views: 2,869
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,807
Views: 343,457
3 Transmission Assembly, Tutorial w/Pics
Last Post: paulc
Replies: 74
Views: 50,571
0 Ironhead primary filling with oil not puking
Last Post: paulc
Replies: 6
Views: 209
0 Keith Black 10:1
Last Post: Boudwood
Replies: 19
Views: 547
0 Does Synthetic Engine Oil cause Higher or Lower temps at the oil tank?
Last Post: Sportycus
Replies: 91
Views: 17,007
0 09 Buell XB12 crank
Last Post: Boudwood
Replies: 16
Views: 503
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: mrmom9r
Replies: 801
Views: 72,759
0 Magnaflow F-Bomb on a Rigid?
Last Post: JoelDeb89
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 240
0 What color are your pipes?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 170
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,731
Views: 246,417
0 Will a 2000 swingarm bolt up/ fit my 99?
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 328
0 nine T racer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 183
0 Cylinder wall scoring after rebuild, can you live with it?
Last Post: Mad Max
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 239
5 Hots For An Xl Forum Member?
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,954
Views: 3,159,000
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (74), SDREDD (57), pig (55), BonRu (53), cbass (45), ssm7530 (43), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (35)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
vlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to beholdvlmuke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Jon View Post
I'm in the National Guard. My uniform says "US Army", not "National Guard". We do the same job, suffer the same hard times, are gone from our families just the same, and we bleed the same blood. You can either decide to stand behind our ENTIRE military, or stand infront of us. Your choice.

UNITED WE STAND
1864th Trans Co.
Nevada Army National Guard
That's what I thought. I thought we were all on the same team, But apparently some of the guys down south didn't think so, I think it stems from the whole civil war thing.
Old 24th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Hwkdrvr is an unknown quantity at this point

To attempt to answer the original question; the reason the NG is looked down upon is a combination of ignorance as to what the NG is, and a less than stellar reputation from the past.

There are many people who don't understand that the NG is part of the Army or AF and not an entirely separate force (even thought the NG CG is now an equal member of the JCS). They think there is a easier version of basic training that the part time soldiers go to.

There is also the fact that back during the Vietnam War, the NG was often the place where people would hide out. They would join the NG and then not have to worry about being drafted and actually having to go to war. This justifiably angered Vietnam War Vets who didn't see these NG soldiers as brothers in arms.

However, in the post 9/11 military everyone is getting a bite of the shit sandwich. I'll use myself as an example. I have never been RA(Regular Army) but I have almost 7 years of AD time on my most recent DD214. After attending Basic Training and Infantry AIT at Ft. Benning in 97/98 I was in served in the Guard doing the traditional one weekend a month and a 2-3 week AT every year. I deployed to Iraq in 2004 and returned in 2006. I deployed to Iraq again in 07-08. 3 months after getting home I got selected for WOCS and flight school. So I went to Ft. Rucker for 22 months. I received my Warrant alongside the other RA soldiers. I went through the same OBC (Flight School) as all the other Army aviators. 1 week after getting back from flight school, I deployed for a 3rd time to Iraq. My stick buddy in flight school (not as gay as it sounds, which isn't saying much) was RA for 9 years and has never deployed, I, the part time soldier, have gone over 3 times so far.

As an Army Aviator, I have the same flight time requirements as RA pilots, and we are evaluated to EXACTLY the same standards. I fly 1-2 days a week not including my 1 weekend a month and 2-3 weeks a year. I also, have to juggle my military commitments with civilian employment.

There are a lot of active duty personnel who don't like to acknowledge the fact that some of their fellow soldiers, airmen, or marines can do their job to the same standard, without spending every day perfecting it.

Bottom line: bullets, IEDs, and RPGs don't care what your status is. The United States Military is the best trained and most deadly military in history because of the dedication and professionalism of ALL it's members. God bless all of my fellow Veterans, and remember those who gave their lives for our country.
Old 24th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

I joined the National Guard after active duty and stayed for 10 years. Great group of dedicated personnel. Second rate gear, poor state support but mission ready. My father joined the Guard in 1939 for supposedly a 6 month training. He came home in 1945 an E-9 with many pacific theater invasions, some easy and some like Okinawa, Makin and Siapan - a real nightmare. Anyone who looks down on the Guard is just flat out wrong. We work in a career with civilian bills and obligations that we are ready to drop at a moments notice - possibly losing our homes and defaulting on debts to unsympathetic bankers and we face coworkers who think we are off partying and project their displeasure with US policy on to us. We come home, pick up the pieces and are ready to do it all over again.

SEMJPM

One post script: I had a guy in my department who was deployed to Iraq. Another SOB went to HR and complained that he had to take up some of the slack. Oh, and this SOB complainer was taken in by the USA when his island nation was taken over by the communists and the Russians. He complained every time the Airman was deployed. We were too politically correct to fire him.
Old 24th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

I have always felt I had to defend myself for spending 1970-1979 in Army Reserves. Granted I initially got in because I did not believe in what was going on in Vietnam, and my draft number was 17. (I was sworn in reserves December 7, 1970 and got my draft notice December 24, 1970). I felt I had an obligation to the military, was not a CO nor was I going to Canada or had the money for college. True, this was an "easy" way out for a lot of guys. And the Vietnam vets did not have much use for ER/NG. But when we went to summer camp, we took things seriously. I served in 8" self-propelled artillery unit. We had several summer camps where the active Army would train us and rate us. They were literally amazed that we could do the things we did. One year we were one of the first Reserve units to direct fire 8" artillery and we scored 8 of the first 12 shots as direct hits. The regular Army people told us no other Reserve unit had more than 1 or 2 direct hits first time out. We knew our stuff around the guns. We trained hard and well. But we still were weekend warriors. We had fun, but worked our tails off.
So I believe the Vietnam era was where the Reserve units got their stigma as a bunch of flakes and screw offs. Today is a different story. I only wish now that I had gone in and taken my chances. Do I regret it? Not a bit. Do I wish things were different? Yeah, I do. Would I do it over? In a heart beat. We need the Reserves and Guards. They are a valuable part of the military branches. I have as much respect for a Reservist and Guard as I do regular Army.
Go Redlegs!

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Dec. 13, 1636. This is the day the Massachusett's government (first gov. in the colonies) established the first Militia of citizen soldiers, a National Guard. Having grown up as an Air Force brat and lived in places like Germany, Spain, Morocco, and several states, I feel I understand military life very well. My father did 3 tours in Vietnam while us kids had to sit here in the US and watch all the war BS on TV. My pride in this country got me to join the Natl. Guard in 1981. I think those were some of the best years for me. I feel honored to have been one of this country's "Minutemen"

Last edited by Toejam503; 3 Weeks Ago at 00:28..
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
I feel honored to have been one of this country's "Minutemen"

As well, you should.
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: 2nd 01 XLC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

Training is not experience............ that is all I got to say.