The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Currently in deep shift...
Last Post: shooterj2003
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 264
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,955
Views: 291,619
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 30
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,518
Views: 265,426
0 cam cover removal
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 37
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,677
Views: 7,022,306
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12,957
Views: 1,183,079
0 Calling all short frame riders . . .
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 194
Views: 18,098
0 1967 Harley Sprint SS250
Replies: 48
Views: 6,994
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Last Post: Tonyb65
Replies: 22
Views: 7,300
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Replies: 136
Views: 11,512
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 742
Views: 19,428
0 erratic Badlands indicator module
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 22
0 Solenoid rebuild drained battery
Last Post: mikam123
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 219
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: Blue Scoot
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 99
Views: 3,106
0 good ride today
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 79
0 Killed 2 batteries (not ran out of juice)
Replies: 1
Views: 59
0 Show me your non-stock breather systems
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 295
Views: 115,085
0 How the heck do you remove seat with rear wheel on
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 210
0 Oil Temp
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 32
Views: 6,006
0 Speedo ideals
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Views: 121
0 Glutten for punishment sportster cams it ain't
Views: 209
10 how low do you let it idle
Replies: 26
Views: 4,662
5 What can cause the engine to suddenly misfire?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 145
0 Vm38 mikuni carb
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 177
0 Use Force Sportster Exhaust
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 223
0 Deleting all switches, adding push button starter 2005 sportster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 373
0 XR750 road bike?
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,193
0 75 XLH Electrical problem - Accessory Circuit
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 83
0 75 XLH battery tray bracket
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 45
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 100 Anni Edition
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Diveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura about

I need an opinion I mounted the rear marker lights so I need an opinion. Should I put them on the outside or the inside.

What do you guys think look better? Keep in mind that there will be a wheel and fender between them.

Please excuse the finger prints LOL
Old 9th February 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C/883C/883R-all sold
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna FXD-sold
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

I like the inboard look.
Old 9th February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Why would anyone turn a perfectly good sporty into a bagger:

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 9th February 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 Honda 300 4TRX
d_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to beholdd_eggman2 is a splendid one to behold

I vote for outside.

When I was old enough to ride a motorcycle and got my license, I bought a '69 Sportster.
Chuck Zito

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Old 9th February 2012
Biker

Diveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura aboutDiveanx has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Why would anyone turn a perfectly good sporty into a bagger:

This coming from the man that has the best looking one out there LOL I love the look of your black one :-)
Old 10th February 2012
Biker

Well have been told my bike is done and I can pick it up tomorrow so I hope that I can start my project this weekend
Old 11th February 2012
Biker

Well the bike made it home last night and I was told I need to clean out my tank that it looks like it has sand in it. Not sure how that happened because I buy gas at the same place every day accept one day so not sure.

I couldnt wait to start my project so parts are coming off. I started with the right side and removed the seat amd turn signal. Now for people that have never taken your turn signal off, it can be kind of a pain. there is a long bolt )I will provide pictures when I am done) that is two sided. It has a short section that bolts to the frame and the long section that goes through the chrome extension to the light itself so most of the time when you take it off (if it has been installed correctly with loctite) the bolt will come out of the light end before it comes off the frame and then you can hold the bolt and finish taking it off. The other thing is you have to remove the taillight lense to unhook the wire to the turn signal. The wire is pretty tight so I suggest unplugging it first.

Next I had to remove the shock bolt because on my bike there is a chrome cover that goes over the fender strut. You would think that you wouldnt have to remove this but the hole that the wife for the turn signal is not large enough for the plug to come through so I had to remove the whole thing. Now I will have two options if I want to reinstall the chrome cover, I can cut the wire (since in my situation I am not reinstalling the stock turn signals) or I can take the wires out of the connector. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

After removing these items I was ready to mock up the mouting system which contains to mount itself and a chrome bar that in my opinion is there to add a place to add the stock turn signals if you have room. I am going to look at it both way to see how it looks.

Well that is all I have done so far. Once I am done I am going to add the pictures with the step by step so everyone can see that anyone can do things like this with just a few tools. Until the next version
Old 11th February 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C/883C/883R-all sold
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna FXD-sold
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW - when I removed my TS, I left the chrome strut covers off.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th February 2012
Biker

Well I woke up all excited to work on the bike this morning. I went in the garage and got my tools all together and cut the tunes on and started away.

I removed the turn signals and in my situation I decided to keep the chrome strut covers on the bike because the chrome bar that comes with the kit covers the holes where the turn signals were located.

I looked at the mounts and something just didnt seem right to me but I decided to continue. I installed the right side first and it looked weird. I didn't worry about it at first. I decided to work on the frame that goes on the tag that has the turn signals on it.

I drilled a hole in the bracket and the fender to run the wires through under the fender and into where the turn signals plug into the rear light.

I tried wiring the lights and they did not seem to work right. I have no clue why. Just one of thise things that I will figure out later.

My major problem at this point getting back to my earlier issue is that the mounts do not go straight down. They angle out at the bottom and that makes the bags look stupid so right now I am at a stand still until I get information from the company that made the mount as to why it does not work correctly.

So long story short I am not happy at this point
Old 17th February 2012
Biker

Okay just a little update. I have decided to take a different route with the rear saddle bag lights as well as the turn signals.

Today I purchased the Harley lay down license plate bracket and turn signal relocation kit (pn 60215-06) Not the description states that it is for a 2004 Sportster forward but it uses the same 3 bolt pattern that most Harleys use so it bolted right up. Now the one thing I did have to do was drill a hole in the fender for the wires to go through.

The kit comes with new terminals because you have to take off the connectors but unless you have a 150.00 crimper and lots of patients you will never get that to work. What I did was cut the wires about 3 in backs and then just soldiered them back together and used skrink tube over it and you cannot tell it from a factory install. I will show the install once I get pictures tomorrow. The system is a tab bit expensive but well worth it for the type of fit and the look.

I have now figured out a way to mount my bags without modifying the brackets. I found a website that sells various vibration mounts that have studs on each end. Its a great site and if anyone needs the site let me know. but I found some mounts that will hold about 76 pounds each so will be more than sufficent and the mounts are like an inch thick and that should straighten the back up on the mount and make it look good.

I will post more when I get the mounts and add them to the bags. Thanks for hanging in there with the post