The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Active Threads
0 Currently in deep shift...
Last Post: shooterj2003
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 264
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,955
Views: 291,619
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 30
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,518
Views: 265,426
0 cam cover removal
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 37
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,677
Views: 7,022,306
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12,957
Views: 1,183,079
0 Calling all short frame riders . . .
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 194
Views: 18,098
0 1967 Harley Sprint SS250
Replies: 48
Views: 6,994
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Last Post: Tonyb65
Replies: 22
Views: 7,300
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Replies: 136
Views: 11,512
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 742
Views: 19,428
0 erratic Badlands indicator module
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 22
0 Solenoid rebuild drained battery
Last Post: mikam123
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 219
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: Blue Scoot
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 99
Views: 3,106
0 good ride today
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 79
0 Killed 2 batteries (not ran out of juice)
Replies: 1
Views: 59
0 Show me your non-stock breather systems
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 295
Views: 115,085
0 How the heck do you remove seat with rear wheel on
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 210
0 Oil Temp
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 32
Views: 6,006
0 Speedo ideals
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Views: 121
0 Glutten for punishment sportster cams it ain't
Views: 209
10 how low do you let it idle
Replies: 26
Views: 4,662
5 What can cause the engine to suddenly misfire?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 145
0 Vm38 mikuni carb
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 177
0 Use Force Sportster Exhaust
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 223
0 Deleting all switches, adding push button starter 2005 sportster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 373
0 XR750 road bike?
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,193
0 75 XLH Electrical problem - Accessory Circuit
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 83
0 75 XLH battery tray bracket
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 45
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2006
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post.

Also excellent follow-up on the bike wanting to move during the leak down test. We normally have the bike in top gear and get somebody to stand on the rear brake while someone else operates the tester.

A thing or two I'd add ... during the compression test, you need to hold the throttle wide open and if using a CV, hold the slide up. If the cylinder can't freely pull in air, the compression reading will be low. Also, it matters not where the motor is positioned when doing the compression test. Soon as you hit that starter button it ain't gonna be sitting there anymore anyway.

The compression tester has a one-way valve in it's hose, allowing it to see the pressure of the compression stroke but not relieve it on the other strokes.

Always look for a compression tester that has it's check valve as near to the chamber as possible. Otherwise, you're adding the volume of the hose up to the check valve to the chamber volume, and that makes the compression read low.

Temp plays a role in the results of both of these tests. Best to do it with a warm motor.

If squirting some oil into the spark lpug hole improves compression, your rings are leaking.

Also, there are two top dead centers: the one in between the compression & power strokes (known as compression TDC), and the other one in between the exhaust and intake strokes (known as overlap TDC).

During overlap TDC, both valves are slightly open. So you can't do your leak down test in this position. Well, you can, but you'll get a LOT of leakage.

Really you can do the leak down test in any position where both valves are closed. The period of time when both valves are closed is from about halfway up on the compression stroke to about halfway down on the power stroke. Compression TDC is about halfway in between those two places so it makes a good reference point. But it'll work anywhere between those two events.

Some leakage is always normal. A fresh motor will generally show 4 to 6% with conventional rings, 1 to 2% with gapless. 8 to 10% is not unusual for a motor with some miles on it.

Great job!

Old 14th April 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

And then the big guns come out...

Thanks Aaron, some good points in there about checking the rings and the position of the valve, etc. This where TONS of experience comes in handy.
Old 14th April 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
mark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna stir things up a bit and say that valve guides CAN have an effect on engine sealing. But, this is an indirect effect.

If the valve guide is very worn, the valve will be sloppy in its travel. It will, if lifted off the seat, have side to side 'slop' or wiggle. This slop will allow it to come down 'unsquare' on the valve seat, causing uneven wear on the valve face and seat, eventually creating a leakage of compression thru the valve. It will also wear the valve stem. This is not a major loss of compression, but there are leakdown issues associated with it. In my experience building racing engines out of 5hp Briggs flatheads (I'm sick, I know it) with 1 cylinder.... engine seal is everything. Rings, Cylinder bore perfection, and valve seal are the biggies. And a sloppy valve guide will quickly ruin your intricate valve job and lapping. This is most prevalent on the exhaust side of the briggs due to the exhaust heat and general lack of lubrication.

So yes, a bad guide will cause loss of compression, but then the guides are not a part of the engine sealing itself.

GOTWA- I've been reading about your engine miseries in another thread. If your dealer is going to do this right, he will replace the valve guides, but he will also measure the valve stems to make sure they aren't worn. And he will definately do a valve job, because if you don't do a valve job when you've got the valves out, you're pissing away time and money, and just asking for a bad engine seal. Also, if he's pulling the jug off to replace the rings, he better measure than to make sure its not out of round- if it is, a (oversize) rebore is in order. If not, they better put a crosshatch back on the cylinder walls (light honing, not an overbore) or most likely, your rings will never seal up.

In a v8, you can get away with a marginal cylinder, in a 2 cyl HD engine, one marginal cylinder gives you an oversized Buell Blast.
Old 14th April 2006

xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
I'm gonna stir things up a bit and say that valve guides CAN have an effect on engine sealing. But, this is an indirect effect.

If the valve guide is very worn, the valve will be sloppy in its travel. It will, if lifted off the seat, have side to side 'slop' or wiggle. This slop will allow it to come down 'unsquare' on the valve seat, causing uneven wear on the valve face and seat, eventually creating a leakage of compression thru the valve. It will also wear the valve stem. This is not a major loss of compression, but there are leakdown issues associated with it. In my experience building racing engines out of 5hp Briggs flatheads (I'm sick, I know it) with 1 cylinder.... engine seal is everything. Rings, Cylinder bore perfection, and valve seal are the biggies. And a sloppy valve guide will quickly ruin your intricate valve job and lapping. This is most prevalent on the exhaust side of the briggs due to the exhaust heat and general lack of lubrication.

So yes, a bad guide will cause loss of compression, but then the guides are not a part of the engine sealing itself.

GOTWA- I've been reading about your engine miseries in another thread. If your dealer is going to do this right, he will replace the valve guides, but he will also measure the valve stems to make sure they aren't worn. And he will definately do a valve job, because if you don't do a valve job when you've got the valves out, you're pissing away time and money, and just asking for a bad engine seal. Also, if he's pulling the jug off to replace the rings, he better measure than to make sure its not out of round- if it is, a (oversize) rebore is in order. If not, they better put a crosshatch back on the cylinder walls (light honing, not an overbore) or most likely, your rings will never seal up.

In a v8, you can get away with a marginal cylinder, in a 2 cyl HD engine, one marginal cylinder gives you an oversized Buell Blast.
Excellent point, but what was mentioned was that valve seals, not valve guides, don't contribute to chamber sealing.

Guess you're not stirring the pot as much as you'd like...
Old 14th April 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
mark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished roadmark883 is on a distinguished road

Ooops.. I was thinking guides.... Duh. I've got briggs on the brain- their valve guides are their valves seals.... Or is it, they just dont seal the valve (let 'em leak!)
Old 14th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
Ooops.. I was thinking guides.... Duh. I've got briggs on the brain- their valve guides are their valves seals.... Or is it, they just dont seal the valve (let 'em leak!)
Well, I don't think a flat head really needs valve seals seeing as how the oil woudln't run down into the combustion chamber - it would have to run up the valve.

Actually, now that I think about it, that engine might be mounted sideways, so I'm guessin' they just say "the hell with it".
Old 14th April 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Thanks Aaron! And thanks for adding in those, as always, awesome points. Especially, on TDC that is cool to learn and something I did not know.

Mark, the issues you raise with cylinder integrity or exactly what my concerns are. I'll leave that in the Oil Use thread but you are exactly right and that is exactly what I'm worried about.

Thanks again for all the inputs. Just meant to ramble and got some great interaction and learned along the way to boot. Reckon it's like the sign on the door says, "Learn. Share. Ride."
Old 23rd September 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

SIMPLIFIED VERSION:

"Compression test" is a test of the cylinders pumping ability !!!

(Thats why it's very important to rotate the engine through several strokes
and note the increase in pressure with each compression stroke. Compare this to the other cylinder(s). that is more important than the actual numbers!)

"Leak down test" is a test of the cylinders ability to hold pressure. (Seal)

( Apply a know pressure to the cylinder and see how quikly it "leaks Down".)

Generaly if a compression test shows anything suspect, The next step is a leak down test. anything over a few % points, And the heads come off to find out WHY !!!
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd September 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

However:

Worn Valve guides will totally screw up the valve train geometry !

Causing erratic valve action that Will lead to missfires !!!

Yes its the weekend and i'm back here stirring up $h1t !!