The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Active Threads
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 97
Views: 28,657
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 695
5 VOES Vacuum reading after engine mod... where to set?
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 117
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,033
Views: 1,190,175
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 657
Views: 74,968
0 Posting pics
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 154
0 124" 1993 XLH build thread.
Last Post: Jörgen
Replies: 752
Views: 167,807
0 Cover for 2013
Last Post: dwint
Replies: 0
Views: 6
0 Magneto mystery
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,624
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: Loner
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 3,841
14 Post your Bike in a Cemetary Pic
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 346
Views: 61,253
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4,225
Views: 491,034
0 2020 Bikes listed on the HD website
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 17
Views: 326
0 1969 XLCH Pics
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 13
Views: 164
5 Replaced bad VOES... Engine sounds weird when hot and idle
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 170
0 oil filter choices
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 32
Views: 708
5 Sportster ignition 2006
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 4
Views: 99
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 10,150
Views: 1,723,555
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,702
Views: 7,026,482
0 Hard Struts /Weak Shocks & Torn Wires
Last Post: broknluck
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 128
0 33mm Front Fork Service-Disassembly
Last Post: Toejam503
Views: 3,055
0 Calling all short frame riders . . .
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 197
Views: 18,569
0 Looking back
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 1
Views: 65
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 552
Views: 108,190
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 434
Views: 106,817
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,192
Views: 183,039
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 17
Views: 329
0 ***DK Custom-Performance Rear Shocks-Twin Adjustable Bitubos***
Replies: 10
Views: 1,204
0 ***DK Custom Products Outlaw Permanent HiFlow Reusable Oil Filter***
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 4,670
More...
Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (70), gene405 (63), garyw6655 (63), SixStringer (56), hongkong076 (49), whispanic (39), Gilly
Tags
install, no start, woods cams

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883-1200 Branch Build
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
The W8S has really low TDC lifts ... .183 & .176. These numbers would normally not be a problem with respect to piston to valve or valve to valve contact. However, since you're using 883 heads, without making the measurements, you can't rule it out. 883 heads have longer valves and therefore the valves start out a lot closer to the piston and a lot closer to each other, particularly when larger diameter valves are installed. Much depends on how Branch set up the heads.
Thanks... I'm gonna have to call them and double check for the cams I chose.
Never thought about 883s being that different than 1200 heads with valves.
But now that you mention it, I think I remember maybe reading somewhere
that the valve angles are different than 1200s, but don't remember and can't
find where I read that. Maybe I am thinking of the older shovel heads though.

Quote:
The other big thing of course is how much valve travel you have available. Coil bind clearance and also retainer to guide clearance could be an issue. Again, not knowing anything about how your heads are set up, I can't say.
I'm pretty sure my springs are set up to allow up to a .650" lift.
http://www.branchokeefe.com/heads.html

Quote:
This is one of the reasons head shops always want to know what cams you'll be using. They can make sure you've got adequate travel, a spring pack that's up to the job, and enough valve to valve clearance.
I guess my mistake was I was still using my stock cams at the time had heads
ported while researching which cams might go well my my engine combo.
But did make sure I had at least the capability of up to .650 lift cams.

I most likely will get some new lifters also since already working in that
area. Does make since with higher lift cams.

The more I get to higher performance the more I learn I should double
and triple check everything before final assembly.

Quote:
One more thing, on a 2000 motor your pinion race sticks out quite a bit more than a 91-99, and as such, a tall lobe like that will try to run into the pinion race:
That I did do. "But" only after spinning the cams all the way around
by hand and finding out that they did make contact(accidentally). I was so tunnel visioned about the basic clearance for lobes while grinding my cam case I didn't even
notice till all done that the cams did in deed hit the pinion. So I went ahead
and slowly but surely grinded as best as possible to have clearance. So
I don't think that is an issue.

Dirty pict( before clean up)... but you might be able to see the grind/clearanced marks

Quote:
But neither of those things likely caused your pushrods to get bent. Some kind of mechanical interference took place.
I am assuming the worst for valve to piston or valve to valve contact.
Valve to piston should be easily seen. But valve to valve I'm not
for sure if I need to compress the springs to extend the valves to look
for contact marks though.

Quote:
Bottom line, even though those TDC lifts are moderate and that takes pressure off the Valve to piston and valve to valve issues, at .590 total lift you're getting up there enough that you've got to check some other things. I highly recommend that you read and understand both of these articles:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_xlcaminstall.shtml

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_valvetopiston.shtml

Good luck.
Thanks much aswracing for your input. I'll read and study your articles.
I was so anxious to get riding that day that I probably wasn't thinking
straight and rushed, and now I won't be riding till new pushrods arrive, and problem
figured out. Now I wish I would have taken the time to check things thoroughly.

Lesson learned. No matter how anxious you are to try out new parts... always double and triple check, and even take notes from the porter or cam manufacture for things to look out for if you are building part
by part at a time $$$ wise until you get determine a decent combo from different
manufactures, as compared to a whole combo already matched.
Buy a part and time goes by and one forgets what was said months ago.

I'm still learning, have been searching for a custom combo that
no one else has just to be different I guess.

Thanks everyone for your input. After I get done taking whole engine
apart, I'll post some picts if I (prob will) find the metal contact that bent
my intake rods. I don't think my exhaust rods are bent since no play.
But should'nt hold my breath until all is taken apart and examined.

Thanks again everyone.

883 XL Y2K - BLACK,Ported Manifold,HSR 42mm Carb,Branch #5 Ported 883 Heads,Bob Woods W8S 0.590" Cams, SE -0.050" Perfect Fit Pushrods,SE 1200 Ignition Module ,Vance & Hines Straight Shot Exhaust,07 SE Air Cleaner,SE 40,000V Red Perf Coil,883 Jugs Precision Bored for Branch 30º Domed Pistons,& One Big Smile ;o), ~83TQ, ~83HP for now.
Old 30th September 2008
Proud 2000 XLH 1430 Owner

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1430
Other Motorcycle Model: Piaggio X9 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
AussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really nice

Great post. Hope it all comes together.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing (but on order from EBay).

Supertrapp 2-1 with 18 plates and closed end cap, 11.5" 412 Progressive with Heavy Duty springs and Progressive fork springs. Mikuni 45carb/SE 44 manifold. NRHS 88" with Stage 2 ported 04 heads with 15 degree squish band, SE .536 cams, crane roller rockers and lifters, NRHS Hurricane Adj Pushrods and Collapsible Covers. Ultima prog ign. 180 main jet, 3 turns, 20 idle jet and 97 needle at 3rd notch. AIM 240 Clutch. LRB Z Plus Brake Pads on dual front brakes. Kuryakyn Boss Blade Levers + Forcewinder XR A/C.
Old 30th September 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 - 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
drummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemeisterus View Post
Branch 30 degree domed piston

Well there's your problem! The pistons in up side over!

883 branch ported Head Chamber

Damn that's pretty
I'm sorry to hear you have to pull the thing apart. I've been there and it sucks. Look on the bright side, I'm not sure where you live, but here in California it's starting to get cold in rainy, good winter project if you have a garage that is
"Take most people, they're crazy about cars. They worry if they get a little scratch on them, and they're always talking about how many miles they get to a gallon, and if they get a brand-new car already they start thinking about trading it in for one that's even newer. I don't even like old cars. I mean they don't even interest me. I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake." ~ Holden Caulfield

[URL="http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=175003"]Link to my NRHS build thread[/URL]

Have wrapped exhaust? [URL="http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=544763"]Please read[/URL]
[QUOTE=khaskins;2765309]"my bike scares the cars and they scream like little girls"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=rottenralph;1773182]Bees and balls don't mix.[/QUOTE]
Old 30th September 2008
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But now that you mention it, I think I remember maybe reading somewhere
that the valve angles are different than 1200s, but don't remember and can't
find where I read that.
Angles are the same between 1200 & 883. 27 degrees on the intake and 31 on the exhaust.

But the 883 valves are longer, to go with the shallower chamber of the 883 head. Therefore when sitting on the seats, they're closer to the piston than a 1200's valves are. You can run out of piston to valve clearance in a hurry. A set of cams that provides ample valve to piston clearance when used with 1200 heads doesn't always have enough when used with 883 heads.

They're also sitting closer to each other. The stock valves are quite a bit smaller diameter than the 1200 valves so this is not an issue with them. But when you start putting bigger valves into 883 heads, it becomes a big issue. Again, you can run out of valve to valve clearance in a hurry.

From looking at your heads, it appears Branch may have removed all 4 seats and put new ones in deeper and used 1200 length valves. But I can't be certain without making the measurements.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my springs are set up to allow up to a .650" lift.
That could be, but you still have to think about valve to valve clearance. Like valve-to-piston clearance, valve-to-valve clearance doesn't have anything to do with max lift, instead it's a function of TDC lift.

The TDC lift figures on the W8S are quite a bit bigger than the stock "D" cams, but they're still mild in the world of performance cams. Milder than many bolt-in cams, in fact.

Quote:
So I went ahead
and slowly but surely grinded as best as possible to have clearance. So
I don't think that is an issue.
I hope not. But I've seen people really screw up that pinion bearing trying to cut on the race, and that of course requires a full teardown to fix. It doesn't take much grit to ruin that bearing and it's almost impossible to cut it without getting grit in it. That's why I tell people you're much better off to chamfer the lobe:

Quote:
I am assuming the worst for valve to piston or valve to valve contact.
Valve to piston should be easily seen. But valve to valve I'm not
for sure if I need to compress the springs to extend the valves to look
for contact marks though.
Checking valve to piston is best done with clay, as shown in the cam install article. Checking valve to valve does require opening the valves to the TDC lift figure. This is typically accomplished on an assembled head using a fixture that Ron Trock sells:

The fixture also mounts dial indicators for precise measurement of how much each valve is open. Besides checking valve to valve, it's also handy for flow testing a head at various lift points, and for checking total available travel.

But, it can be done without this fixture, if you have a valve spring compressor and can get the keepers off. Without the spring pressure, you can manually open each valve to the TDC lift figure using a caliper for the measurement. Then just measure the distance between the valves with feeler gauges.

I'm very curious as to why Bob recommends adjustable pushrods. IMO, the only reason to run adjustables is if you use a travel limited lifter, i.e. a solid or Hydrosolid, where you need a precise pushrod length. A standard hydraulic lifter has .200 of travel and will work well over about .100 of that range, from .050 to .150 preloaded when cold. So it's not that picky on the pushrod length. Fixed length pushrods are lighter and stronger and don't require expensive collapsible tube kits and don't have as many rub problems. It's just a matter of getting them the correct length, but they're readily available in any length you want, and at a lower price than adjustables. Bob's cams are all stock base circle anyway, so to the extent you need a custom length it's not because of the cams, it's because of things like altered stem protrusions, head decking, and/or thinner gaskets.

Last edited by aswracing; 30th September 2008 at 13:46..
Old 30th September 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jt1200r has disabled reputation

if the exhaust pushrods were installed on the intake . would they get bent like that?
Old 1st October 2008
Land Speed Record

groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt1200r View Post
if the exhaust pushrods were installed on the intake . would they get bent like that?

Thanks, but they were installed in the proper locations.
Old 1st October 2008
Land Speed Record

Lightbulb

Thanks everyone for their feedback,
and especially to
ASWRACING for their detailed picts and knowledge.

I called and talked with Branch today, and they mentioned
that with these cams that I prob would have problems.

They mentioned after I told him of my delima that
I think the valves would need to be set deeper I think
to make clearance like aswracing mentioned.

I just woke from a nap and can't remember every detail.

But all in all, he said my pistons should be ok if there was
any contact, but that the valves are probably shot, but won't
know for sure until I tear down. It's getting in the low 40s here
in Indiana at night and luckily I have a heated garage to find and fix my mistake.

Before any tear down, gonna do a compression test just to
see. Then tear down and inspect, and then do what needs
to be done to get heads back in order and double triple
check that if/when I send back to branch that all is
set up accordingly with the style of cam I want to use (W8S this time)
so can hopefully just bolt heads on.

Thanks again everyone. This time I am gonna take it slow and easy.

Hope this shows others that it is not a great idea to rush things.

I'll get back with some picts when I get tore apart, and update when all
is well with a dyno.

Old 1st October 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hope this shows others that it is not a great idea to rush things.
Hopefully, it was merely lack of lifter travel that bent the pushrod.

This should be a "must-read" for folks new to engine building. It's probably very fortunate the engine failed to fire.

Read info and ask questions. Thanks to meticulous professionals such as NRHS and Axtell, etc., along with knowledgeable laypersons, the XLForum has one of the best online sources of detailed performance and maintenance issues on the net.
Sponsored Links
Old 1st October 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SOLD 883/1200 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: -
Sportster/Buell Year #2: -
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM 990 SMT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Erik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear you had to go through all this, Groovemeister.
I hope everything turns out for the best further down the road for you.

Good luck.
Old 1st October 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you get that back together soon, I will be very interested in seeing what kind of dyno numbers that combo produces. I didn't even know that Woods made cams for the sporty engines. All the articles in American Iron about them never even mention anything about cams for a sporty. Just goes to show how biased the whole industry is. Good luck with that hope it turns out good for you.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil