The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,397
Views: 7,810,691
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22,183
Views: 2,268,943
0 so it's officially ended
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 94
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18,112
Views: 1,068,506
0 Exhaust differences from 98 to 99
Last Post: Cablejudge
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 89
0 New pn OEM battery for Sporty 04 up
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 222
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 14,185
0 Sportster book
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 107
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 18
Views: 773
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 1,117
Views: 165,668
0 AGM battery for 76' XLH
Last Post: ChiliK
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 245
0 New build. Won't start. Funky compression numbers
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 36
Views: 1,329
0 Potential future changes for the Sportster motor?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 51
Views: 2,071
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,122
Views: 356,473
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 217
Views: 18,027
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4,837
Views: 664,630
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,081
Views: 2,179,283
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: Nicktater
Replies: 113
Views: 55,719
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Replies: 245
Views: 83,530
5 Red Shift cams similar to Jackhammer 570 ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 377
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 38
Views: 1,106
0 My 08' Nightster
Last Post: XL1275
Replies: 8
Views: 709
0 Can I use heads and jugs (top end) from 2001-1200
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 202
0 Sportster fans, tell us why!
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 686
Views: 182,141
0 front brake caliper interchange question
Last Post: Seek4aws
Replies: 9
Views: 1,846
0 Year electronic diagnostics started
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 127
0 99 1200S Sport Ignition Troubleshooting
Replies: 28
Views: 967
0 72 heads, do these look normal?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 24
Views: 808
0 82 E84 L84-85 charging systems?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 106
0 Piston Question '82 Ironhead 1000 Electric Start
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 85
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (76), demgdaj (70), Playtoe (65), shanneba, Charlie Allen (61), the cowboy way (61), P-Diddly (58), Utahsporty (57), evo-pete (56), stf420 (55), NevadaRob (53), Punisher (51), Razor_Reznor (46), Paycheck (43), jfs92579 (41)
Tags
blast

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know how this comes out. If it is still lacking, you can go bigger on the main until the roll off puts you flat on your face, then you will know the upper limit and can back up to what works best.

What is that carb? I want to look it up and get a better idea what we have here.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 24th July 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Blast
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB400 rat
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
Hornsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

The carb is a c40. It's a blast carb, and the stock difference is that it doesn't have an accelerator pump and it has an auto choke. I got a kit to eliminate the auto choke and replace it with a normal sportster choke, and I put an accelerator pump on it. I did that by putting on a sportster float bowl and drilled a hole where the pump nozzle protrudes into the carb. I also added the linkage for the pump of course.

The carb itself is essentially just a cv40. The jets and slide and diaphragm are all the same type.

The engine has been modified with a Andrews B50 Cams, an NRHS 515 kit, a new exhaust system that I made, and an intake that is basically a velocity stack with big filter clamped around it.

I put in a 180 jet today, and tested a 170 and a 175 a few days ago. The 180 did not improve over the 170 or 175.
With the 170 jet, it had a surge of power when rolling off the throttle.
The 175 and 180 don't do this, but neither of them improved the top speed. However, they don't misfire as much when accelerating. Or maybe I've just become better at modulating the throttle to avoid that.
With the 180 jet, it makes a loud bang a second or two after I shut off the bike. I presume this is too rich :P

When going downhill, the bike has no problem getting over 60, but that makes sense, what with gravity and all. The low top speed might be related to the fact that all the freeways around where I live are fairly steep uphill, but I don't think the bike should be having this much trouble.
Also, it's possible that I am shifting earlier than would be ideal. Not by a lot, but I could try to string out the lower gears more. Even so, I would think 4th and 5th gear would be ideal for 50 mph.
I'm gonna put the 175 in and check that out again. Also I'm gonna put a larger front sprocket in. It would help with the chain tension because the idler sprocket I put on doesn't have a huge amount of travel. If it doesn't work out I can easily change back, so I'm not too worried about that.
Also I'm wondering if my exhaust is too restrictive. It's definitely possible, but it would be pretty annoying to cut it open and reduce the chambers obstruction. I can see how that might be the culprit. I welded some v shaped baffles into the pipe to muffle it, and they might be causing a loss of power at high rpms where the air is flowing real fast.
Anywho, lots for me to think about.

Blasting around the garage, and soon, the streets!
Old 24th July 2020
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Might need to re-think gearing a bit since a custom geometry is being introduced.

Raised. lowered. Lengthend. etc......

Apples and orange comparison. My Husky SM 610 super moto thumper with a six speed.
Handles Texas freeway speeds OK. From 75 MPH to 80 MPH. Uphill pulls like a tractor.
After reading about all the fun certain members here had on roaming the countryside on dirt.

It just made sense to me to just get a bike already set up for something I had no clue about. Instead of converting one of my street bikes to dirt.

Yeah. Something is off. You move too slow. Wedge should have the carb know how. I only put kit's in mine when they wear out.

I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Traveled to
Old 25th July 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree, the 175 will do it.

Also I agree, you need to correct any possible restriction in that exhaust. Try pulling out the stuff you welded in and see how it acts with nothing in the way at all. Single cylinder 4 stroke bikes used to run really well with a hand made megaphone. The old 100cc (bored out 90's) and 125cc Honda's used to get one of those in early motocross.
Old 28th July 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I just put in a 175, cut out my baffles, changed to a different air filter, and put on a 22 tooth front sprocket. Around town, it seems faster. Significantly.

I put on a different air filter because the big car filter I had on was close to my leg and I don't want to knock my carb around and make it leak or something.
I added the 22 tooth sprocket because the chain slack was unmanageable and there wasn't enough adjustment in the system. The new sprocket allowed my to loosen the idler while changing the geometry enough to keep it tighter throughout the swingarms movement. It is overall tighter and has more room to adjust the idler for chain stretch down the road.

The 22 tooth sprocket may also give me better mileage.

It would have better acceleration with the smaller sprocket, but the changes to exhaust seem to have really improved it. Even with the bigger front sprocket it's significantly faster around town. I really felt the pull, which was quite nice. I didn't go on the highway today, but I will test that soon.

However, it is really loud. Waaay too loud. I don't want to get pulled over for volume. I bought a quiet baffle that I should be able to put in it. I'll see how that works out.
Old 29th July 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I just went for another ride, this time with a 170 jet.
No noticeable difference from the 175.
Additionally I did a test at full throttle going about 40 mph. No misfiring anymore. I think it was my homemade baffles causing the trouble. Also, mercy upon all unshielded ears. Hehe
Old 6th August 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Blast P3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
apotheon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default awesome welder setup description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsmith View Post
Additionally I've started welding a wee bit. I'm very much a beginner, and don't have a welding machine, but I've been using old spare motorcycle batteries wired together. Three wired up makes my than enough to use stick welding rods, and I've extended the kickstand so it can touch the ground.
The setup splatters a lot of metal though, and I can only run the batteries for a few minutes before they start to get low. Then I charge them for an hour or so and continue. Not efficient, but hey, that's what I got. I'm gonna try some thinner sticks and only two batteries and see how that goes.
I think you passed up a great opportunity for a "sua sponte" photo of how to get something done without following the usual, recommended, expensive approach. I'd love to see that pic show up in the Instagram feed.
Old 6th August 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Blast P3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
apotheon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsmith View Post
I just went for another ride, this time with a 170 jet.
No noticeable difference from the 175.
Additionally I did a test at full throttle going about 40 mph. No misfiring anymore. I think it was my homemade baffles causing the trouble. Also, mercy upon all unshielded ears. Hehe
This thread has been a heckuva ride. Yes, I read the whole thing. I'm impressed with your ingenuity and dedication. I hope to aspire to eventually achieve half of that.

Keep up the good work.
Old 7th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Haha yeah it's been a crazy time working on this thing. The battery welding was a long while ago. My crappy stick welding machine was a major upgrade, though I also have a lot more experience now. It would be interesting to try battery welding again and see how I do these days.

Also some notes on muffler design. I've tried the bike with a baffle insert and with it straight piped. The baffle makes it a bit quieter, but still louder than I really want. Also, it has significantly less power with the insert than without. I'm gonna try my hand at making another chambered muffler, but this time with more focus on keeping it free flowing.
I'll upload some pics when I've got something to show.
Old 12th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I've tried my hand at making a muffler to no avail. My welder and my skills are not enough :P
I've bought a muffler that will fit into the header that I made and it should work nicely.
Additionally, I've learned a great deal amount my bike. One of my problems is my style of riding. On my Honda, I can easily tell how high the revs are, what with it having a tachometer and an exhaust that makes the revs easy to hear. Some more testing with the blast has led me to conclude that I have been shifting too early to optimize power. It's hard to acknowledge my own failure but awe well, such is life.
More experience with Evo style engines would have been very helpful I think XD
I really ought to invest in a sportster. But that's for another time.
I'm gonna wait for the new muffler to arrive and update y'all then.

As a side note, I'm thinking about going back to the stock cams. I believe my Andrews B50 cams have the power a bit higher in the revs, while the stock ones would be better for my style of riding. I'm not giving up on them quite yet though. We'll see how it goes with the new muffler.