The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22,211
Views: 2,272,753
0 Generator conversion kit question
Last Post: 77IRHD
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 100
0 The Sport(ster)ing Life
Last Post: Sasnak75
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 13
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 1,497
0 S&S Super E Carb
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 286
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 48,403
Views: 7,811,695
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 241
Views: 24,444
0 Nup 1009 (Bearing)
Last Post: Racepres
Replies: 4
Views: 119
0 Finnish custom rider
Last Post: FinnDRZ
Replies: 17
Views: 635
0 so it's officially ended
Last Post: jzink0883
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 717
0 New to me 55kh
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 397
0 82 E84 L84-85 charging systems?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 256
0 AGM battery for 76' XLH
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 370
0 Piston Question '82 Ironhead 1000 Electric Start
Last Post: BigMek
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 239
0 Sportster fans, tell us why!
Last Post: 1200CustomHD
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 689
Views: 182,348
0 Any Banjo-Playing Sporty Riders here?
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,783
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 20
Views: 856
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 506
Views: 131,156
0 What cams are these
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 3,286
0 New build. Won't start. Funky compression numbers
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,541
0 Iron head swingarm 6 Inch Stretch
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Cylinder head painting and battery and kick start advice
Last Post: Uberstorm
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 175
0 Whats the Ironhead TOP SPEED?
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 143
Views: 18,420
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: rocketnorton
Replies: 43
Views: 264,426
0 Restoring stainless exhaust back to new?
Last Post: beard.tailor
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 545
0 My 08' Nightster
Last Post: beard.tailor
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 954
0 Potential future changes for the Sportster motor?
Last Post: retread08
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,305
0 front brake caliper interchange question
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 1,899
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 1,122
Views: 356,651
0 Can I use heads and jugs (top end) from 2001-1200
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 266
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2020
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1275R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
sml1226 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
Indeed I've been spending my spare dollars on my other playthings in the last couple of years, but it is overdue to be Nyx's turn again... Rearsets are on that (long) list. I was considering a cafe tail, so have been holding off on other things till I decide on that. If I don't go that way then I definitely need a seat with a more distinct backstop... indeed I was looking at the LaPera you have, but the hole in my fender reduces the options.
Looks like the spoiler version of this one has a 07-09 option. That backstop is awesome, but the seat isn’t exactly a comfy one for much more than about a tank of gas without a decent break. But I don’t know how comfy a cafe tail is going to be either... Should look good either way. Those short fenders work nicely with most styles. Looks nice without a swap right now.

Quote:
Of course it is! 2004 is right there on the page I associate that colour with 2007 bikes, but obviously it wasn't the only year they used it on the 1200Rs.
Are you running the stock cams? I always suspected the new pipes ran nicely with cams that don't have a lot of overlap. I recall that D&D originally had a dyno results sheet up for a stock sporty on their site that looked pretty solid with only a hint of a dip in the power at that 5800 mark. But I noticed it was no longer there when I was looking at the new pipe again the other day.
But the cases aren’t black! Still not exactly a fan of this gray, but I’ve grown so used to it. Think the black popped up in 06. And that dark nightster gray and the CX were always pretty cool. Mine just gets weird stains way too easily.

And nope, not stock. 570 cams and a 1275 in there now. The power spike over a 1200 and Ws probably makes for a hard time in noticing any weak spots at this point. It spins up faster and makes more power, so I could just be missing it. Haven’t spent much time on this setup with a decent tune yet to really feel it out. Need to find a dyno. Tuning on the street is fun, but it’s going to take forever to really dial it in this way.
Old 25th June 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
RortySporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
“RSD”, Roland Sands DEsign, also makes some rearsets for the rubbermounts
Yes, some RSD rearsets came up locally at 1/2 price & I was very excited until I realised there was no pillion peg option (& same with Chainsickle & Free Spirits). I guess that's not surprising; wanting to carry a pillion of a sort-of cafe'd sportster is pretty niche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post
I ride solo all the time, so I hadn’t even pulled them from the plastic until last week out of curiosity. They look as good as the rest of it, the position seems solid (as solid as a folded up knees forward position on the back of a Harley can be anyway) and they would afford you a slight bit of adjustability if needed as there is a second hole lower and further forward if that helped anything.

I’ve really liked these so far though. The brake lever doesn’t adjust as high as I needed to comfortably clear the pipe as shipped, but I have a larger rod end on there that fixed that. The shift peg (brake peg is the same thing but I’ve never had an issue there) is a little bit short and a little slick. The pegs are smooth Delrin though, so being slick is sort of what they do. As long as you’re not barely grabbing the radiused end, you aren’t going to slip. It’s just short enough that I’ve missed and slipped a few times. And the slipperiness doesn’t change when wet... unlike the stock brake pedal that I could never stay planted on in the rain.

Given the long list of stupid things I had to fix/replace/tweak on the Chainsikle rears I tried first, these two things are hardly worth mentioning. Couldn’t tell you how any of the other options are, but these are great and avoid the Chainsikles.

I know Free Spirits had a set as well, but I can’t remember if it had anything for a passenger or not. I do remember it having replaced the HD master with a Brembo part, and I was disappointed to have found that after I bought these since I’m tired of rebuilding those things... but the actual Sato stuff is great.
Great to know the Sato's function as good as they look - and they do look great on your bike. They are definitely on the wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
Rearsets are on that (long) list. I was considering a cafe tail, so have been holding off on other things till I decide on that. If I don't go that way then I definitely need a seat with a more distinct backstop... indeed I was looking at the LaPera you have, but the hole in my fender reduces the options.
I noticed recently that one of the Aust HD dealers - either Morgan & Wacker or Harley Heaven - was selling the 1200CX 'Cafe' catalog options at a pretty heavy discount. Think they listed rearsets (rider only), seat cowl & clip ons. Obviously the seat cowl only works with the CX seat but the combo does look good IMO, as well as offering a good bum-p stop. Not sure if you could make that work with the 07-09 ECM / fender? Maybe it would be enough just to relocate the ECM under the cowl?
Old 10th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

So, after much deliberation, I decided to go with the Bobcat. After missing out on the one only (!!!!) Bobcat the Australian importer is getting in the next 6 months, I order it from the US. Arrived last week, and since I'm interstate at the moment, was delivered to my mate's place. Got a text message last night at 1:30am saying burglars had broken into her place - while she was sleeping - and stolen the exhaust

My first thought was it had been targeted but it turns out a lot of houses in the area were hit that night and, for a couple of reasons, they probably thought my mate wasn't home. I'm relieved to hear that since I'd feel pretty bad if she went through a pretty frightening experience because thieves were specifically after my exhaust . They'd chocked the door open and were obviously intending to clean the place out but when she disturbed them, they grabbed the shiny big box and her wallet and fled.

Anyway, if Australian forumites could let me know if they come across a chrome D&D Bobcat for sale from any of the usual suspects, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Simon
Old 10th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1600GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
mick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond reputemick42 has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks mate.
Old 10th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick42 View Post
That sucks mate.
Can't really complain about loosing bling for a toy when so many people have had their lives turned upside down, but it's a bit irritating waiting in breathless anticipation for a couple of months for said bling to arrive, then having it nicked before I'd even seen it
Old 10th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RortySporty View Post
So, after much deliberation, I decided to go with the Bobcat. After missing out on the one only (!!!!) Bobcat the Australian importer is getting in the next 6 months, I order it from the US. Arrived last week, and since I'm interstate at the moment, was delivered to my mate's place. Got a text message last night at 1:30am saying burglars had broken into her place - while she was sleeping - and stolen the exhaust

My first thought was it had been targeted but it turns out a lot of houses in the area were hit that night and, for a couple of reasons, they probably thought my mate wasn't home. I'm relieved to hear that since I'd feel pretty bad if she went through a pretty frightening experience because thieves were specifically after my exhaust . They'd chocked the door open and were obviously intending to clean the place out but when she disturbed them, they grabbed the shiny big box and her wallet and fled.

Anyway, if Australian forumites could let me know if they come across a chrome D&D Bobcat for sale from any of the usual suspects, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Simon
That is awful, glad your friend is ok.
The exhaust should be easy to trace if it's advertised, best of luck finding the thieves and getting your pipes back.