The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > OFF TOPIC > Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves This area is for veterans and military members of all countires can discuss vet issues.

Active Threads
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 3,117
0 Bike sold leaving forum
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 185
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 3,626
0 manifold leaks
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 84
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 17,350
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,231
Views: 7,136,423
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,486
Views: 323,846
0 ***DK Custom - NEW Blog Section On Our Site - SHOP TALK***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 4
Views: 241
0 My new LED headlight
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 10
Views: 316
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 13,958
Views: 782,666
0 crank case breather
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 966
0 Do you like Mexican food?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 55
Views: 1,199
0 83 xlx
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 3
Views: 112
0 XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 19,487
0 It's sportsterdude.248's birthday!
Last Post: ReddTigger
Views: 193
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Replies: 24
Views: 755
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,370
Views: 523,229
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 158
Views: 14,960
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 309
Views: 76,352
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: old dog
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 331
Views: 80,311
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 88
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 278
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 4,201
0 Hi from North Wales, UK
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 574
0 V&H StraightShots Wrapped?
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 143
0 Hello
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 158
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 38
Views: 1,649
0 New to 2002 hugger 883
Views: 547
0 Dying battery, starter, mystery gremlin?
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 140
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (75), SDREDD (58), pig (56), BonRu (54), cbass (46), ssm7530 (44), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popedizzle View Post
Why is the National Guard always looked down upon? Is it because everyone still has the "weekend warrior" mental image of us? I've already deployed once (non combat) and will be going to Afghanistan in 2013. I went through all the same training and have to deal with all the same malarkey, ON TOP of my job likes to throw my way.
Well, I agree with some of what Jhar has said so far (and not meant in any disrespectful way).

But in addition - the training isn't the "same". I mean you can't tell me Boot Camp for the Guard is the same as what Jhar went through for the Marines?

Right or wrong there are differences in the training for most of the various branches of the service. And there are always going to be rivalries and differences in standards etc.

That said, here's another reason why I would perceive the Guard differently.

My complete SLACKER BIL left for Guard Boot Camp TODAY as a matter of fact. This loser was not dumb, but barely graduated high-school with a 1.6 or something like that (in a family of straight A students). He was kicked out of his parents house for being an asshole at 18 and not wanting to take any responsibility. He's joining the Guard as a "quick fix" to somet of these problems, but he still smells of douche when I see him. (That said I do actually hold out some hope this could turn him around).

In contrast one of his older sisters dropped out of college weeks after 9/11 and went straight into the Marines. Served with distinction including 13 months or so in Fallujah Iraq.

That said, I don't think anyone should (or that many actually do) look down on any of our armed services.
Old 4th January 2012
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

I went Reservist Enlisted then Officer with the Coasties. We were so small a branch not much was used against Reservist. First night they had to do the dog watch and clean the heads, but all in all the training was up to snuff.
Old 5th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
d3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enoughd3f4ult will become famous soon enough

You will never get a "honest" opinion from any respectable Soldier in a public forum such as this, bottom line. Any individual that will bad mouth or "play up" the need or lack-there-of of any component of the military publically doesn't have the rank to support the their mouth, much less the knowledge and intelligence to be heard anyway.
Old 5th January 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3f4ult View Post
You will never get a "honest" opinion from any respectable Soldier in a public forum such as this, bottom line. Any individual that will bad mouth or "play up" the need or lack-there-of of any component of the military publically doesn't have the rank to support the their mouth, much less the knowledge and intelligence to be heard anyway.
Now that's an extremely intelligent comment. From a fourth grader.
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 6th January 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Nsauble is an unknown quantity at this point

The reserves and NG go through the same training from intial entry through MOS training as the active side. They are inter mixed while doing so. However once one gets to the unit is where things change for better or worse.
Old 6th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
XL1200Nightster is an unknown quantity at this point

so explian to me this why did my route clearance package bring everyone home and the platoon of active duty that replaced us lost 14 in the first month they where in our AO.

Granted this was in the Karengul river valley less than 30Km from the famous Korengal valley.

AND i'd also like to say im not taking anything from those who where lost because I carried two onto there angel flight it just pisses me off because they wouldn't listen to us in the rip process because we where in the NG but where where the only RCP in RC East that I know of to bring everyone home.
Old 6th January 2012

jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200Nightster View Post
so explian to me this why did my route clearance package bring everyone home and the platoon of active duty that replaced us lost 14 in the first month they where in our AO.

Granted this was in the Karengul river valley less than 30Km from the famous Korengal valley.

AND i'd also like to say im not taking anything from those who where lost because I carried two onto there angel flight it just pisses me off because they wouldn't listen to us in the rip process because we where in the NG but where where the only RCP in RC East that I know of to bring everyone home.
The fact that they lost some men and your unit didn't really doesn't prove or mean anything. Or it could mean quite a few things. Depending on the actual facts. But, since neither of us were there, when both units were, we will never know.
Sponsored Links
Old 7th January 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Nsauble is an unknown quantity at this point

Its real simple active duty guys will never admit that anyone in the NG could do thier job. Why would they? An active duty person who has never seen a two way rifle range, with no deployments will act is if there shit don't stink and turn thier nose up to a NG or reservist. Its the way it is.
Old 7th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsauble View Post
Its real simple active duty guys will never admit that anyone in the NG could do thier job. Why would they? An active duty person who has never seen a two way rifle range, with no deployments will act is if there shit don't stink and turn thier nose up to a NG or reservist. Its the way it is.
This comment is so full of shit it's unbelievable. I've done two combat tours in Viet Nam with the 3rd Marine Division in Northern I Corps. I did a total of eight years in the Marine Corps. When I got out I did 18 months with two different National Guard Units. I quit the Guard because they were so incompetent. I then did 16 years active duty in the Army. Airborne Ranger, Infantry, Mechanized Infantry. I was with the 29th Infantry Regiment at Fort Benning, Georgia. They were the Infantry Trainers. Every summer we would get units in from the National Guard and the Reserves for their summer camps. Units that were, infantry and units that were Drill Sergeants. I saw individuals in the Guard and Reserves that were competent but, never saw a unit that was. We were specifically told not to give these units derogatory reports.

You may think you and/or your unit was competent but, from my experience (which I'd be willing to bet is a hell of a lot more than yours) it probably is very incompetent. Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be. How can a part time soldier be as competent as a full time professional soldier? Not possible. You may find an individual exception to the rule but, generally speaking there is no way the part timers can be as competent.

I know. It hurts.
Old 7th January 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
halfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant futurehalfdrive has a brilliant future

I have to agree with Jhar. My last combat tour before my retirement I was on the Commanding Generals Staff for a Marine Division in Al Anbar Iraq. We had several NG and reserve units under us and we always gave them smaller Areas of Responsibilities (AOR) due to their lack of training and discipline. We would send Marines to assist in getting them up to speed and once we felt confident we would increase their AOR. Luckily this occurred during the Army changeover to the digital camo. The outgoing unit would be in old deserts and incoming would be in the new uniform. we would "leak" that we were replacing the old unit with a new special forces unit that wore a different uniform. Things would go quiet for a few weeks in that area while we trained the incoming unit.

Not meaning to offend, that is just the way it was, and probably still is. Like it has been said earlier there is no way someone who does something 40 days a year could be as competent as someone who trains every day.