The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 My new LED headlight
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 316
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 3,117
0 Bike sold leaving forum
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 185
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 3,626
0 manifold leaks
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 84
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 17,350
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45,231
Views: 7,136,423
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,486
Views: 323,846
0 ***DK Custom - NEW Blog Section On Our Site - SHOP TALK***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 4
Views: 241
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 13,958
Views: 782,666
0 crank case breather
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 966
0 Do you like Mexican food?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 55
Views: 1,199
0 83 xlx
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 3
Views: 112
0 XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 19,487
0 It's sportsterdude.248's birthday!
Last Post: ReddTigger
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Replies: 24
Views: 755
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,370
Views: 523,229
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 158
Views: 14,960
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 309
Views: 76,352
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: old dog
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 331
Views: 80,311
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 88
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 278
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 4,201
0 Hi from North Wales, UK
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 574
0 V&H StraightShots Wrapped?
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 143
0 Hello
Replies: 12
Views: 158
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 38
Views: 1,649
0 New to 2002 hugger 883
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 547
0 Dying battery, starter, mystery gremlin?
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 140
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (75), SDREDD (58), pig (56), BonRu (54), cbass (46), ssm7530 (44), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Lone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this was listed and its a small thing but could save your life, twist the throttle wide open and make sure it snaps right back, nothing like discovering a sticky throttle during a test drive.
Old 24th January 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: RD400, TS250 two-strokes
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Dave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the roughDave1200s is a jewel in the rough
Default New member intro and questions

I want to say "hi" to the forum members and a thanks to Bert for his work.

I'm new to H-D ownership. I've ridden a couple of them (a KHK and a '90 XL) but have mostly had two-strokes all my life and used to race an H-2 S/G drag bike.

I just bought an XL1200s 1997 model and it seems ready for the road with about 7k miles.

I would sure like to hear from any other owners of this model, and am wondering about which areas of the bike I should first turn my attention to in order to keep it running and running right. It's solid-mount and has a carb and a belt, and I believe the valves self-adjust. It starts up quick and sounds verrry good so far, and firstly I want to remove the lowering block things from the lower shock mounts. Anybody need 'em?

Other than that, I'm waiting for the shop manual to arrive and will register it today if I can get all the paper in order. It did cost me a bit more to insure than my smaller bikes(!), but I only paid $3600 for it so I think it's still looking like a good purchase.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 24th January 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRides View Post
Try to buy from accountants and engineers. No need to check the bike - they're too anal to not look after every detail, yet hardly ever ride them.
Actually not just funny but sorta true, expect the riding part.

I initially shop the owner. Is his garage organized or piled high? Are his other vehicles heaps or well maintained? Is his yard and house in order or need repairs? What does the back yard look like? What does his lawn mower look like? How are things stored? Are his tools and tool boxes in order. What about bench space, piled high or usable?

I always ask who has maintained the vehicle. If dealer, then are the records available. If the owner, does he actually have the tools to do the job? Start quizzing him on his knowledge.

Only if all that pans out, then I look at the vehicle.

kr
/-----\ [url]http://www.parmarng.org[/url] ..................... If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
|*------/\ ...............Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|--------| ...............Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+--------+ ...............Silence is taken as consent. Do you consent? [FONT="Courier New"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/MiscHost/IMG_0676-sm.jpg[/IMG]
Old 24th January 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRides View Post
Try to buy from accountants and engineers. No need to check the bike - they're too anal to not look after every detail, yet hardly ever ride them.
thats funny they take more short cuts then any one I know
Old 24th January 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

This is more of a buying technique then what to look for...you guys have that stuff covered pretty well.

When you're going over the bike (or car...) and you see a little ding, worn wire, slightly rotted hose, chip in the paint, small tear in the seat, etc...run your finger over it and inspect it closely. Maybe squint your eyes, frown a bit, maybe shake your head. Say nothing about it but be sure the seller notices you paying close attention to the defect. Once you've examined it for a bit move on with your inspection.

Sellers tend to think the bike they are selling is worth high end market price and, with few exceptions, rarely are. This technique puts a bit of doubt in their head about what they're asking for the vehicle. When it comes time to negotiate, this doubt will help you get a lower price then what they're asking for. They'll know that you saw every little ding they know is there...and maybe a few they don't...and will be a bit more flexible on price.

Slimey? Oh yea. But also keep in mind where I got this from...car dealers. Ever notice how when you trade in your car the guy who is supposed to "inspect it" always asks you to come with them? Guess why. So IF you're ever trading in a vehicle, keep this practice in mind as well.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Old 27th November 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
The Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished road

A big no for me is rounded bolts it shows hasty work and a lack of concern on the next tear down. And the dreaded comment when asked if the bike has any existing problems and they reply Not that I am aware of. If its their bike they should be aware of it. Just my $0.02.
Old 12th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
demetri is an unknown quantity at this point

on the topic of carfax etc; what would you suspect if you saw two different title numbers show up on the VIN report? aside from the obvious, lost it, new reissue, is there anyway to know for sure if it hasnt changed from a rebuilt title to a clear one? DMV?
Sponsored Links
Old 17th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
zombie1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need your help and advise

Hello my name is Julian, I'm looking to buy my first bike. Im really interested on a 91 sportster that I saw on craigslist. But the thing is that the owner says that the sprocket shaft needs to be replaced. I don't know if it's a good idea buying the bike or not. Is it too hard to fix it? is it common? would you buy it?
Old 16th September 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud of

It looks like many have cover most of the points on inspection, save one and for me it is the biggest of all, (and I love the magnet in the oil tank idea).

Among the tools you take with you along with that flashlight, a small automotive inspection mirror (you know the ones on the extendable pocket rod) this is a critical area to check "REAR MOTOR MOUNT TABS" the fronts are easy to check to see is there are any cracks in or broken off tabs the rears are a different story. This mirror is handy for looking for road damage under the bike as well without laying down on the ground.
Old 16th October 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
crodriguez is an unknown quantity at this point

wish i had seen this when i was lookin' at ironheads.