The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10,911
Views: 908,091
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 45,192
Views: 7,127,419
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 13,933
Views: 780,032
0 Hello from the Northeast US.
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 5
Views: 45
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 Tank Dent Repair Western NC
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 73
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 1,023
Views: 234,246
0 crank case breather
Views: 155
0 cleaning your sporty
Replies: 312
Views: 155,295
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Last Post: norski
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 42,814
5 1200 5th Gear in 883 conversion
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 215
0 DK Custom '19 Summer Adv. Riding to where Titanic Sank -Newfoundland Island & More
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 2,953
0 05 xl1200C No Start - Blowing Batt Fuse
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 293
0 Transmission Issue or clutch?
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 748
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 3,152
Views: 305,704
0 Rear sets?
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 29
Views: 7,966
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,312
Views: 1,783,338
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: motorend
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,788
Views: 367,429
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,381
Views: 1,340,701
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 4,364
Views: 522,311
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 562
Views: 111,260
0 Fatster Project
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 13
Views: 1,358
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: t.c. Johnson
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,472
Views: 208,206
0 Bobtailing a sportster
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 174
Views: 76,674
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 614
Views: 89,447
0 Carb + Rubbermount = Collector's Item?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 192
Views: 34,822
0 Talking dog
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 216
0 Harley Davidson Sportster: 60 years by Allan Girdler
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 6
Views: 697
0 hmmm, whaddaya think? (Footpeg Location)
Last Post: slcharger
Replies: 111
Views: 25,014
More...
Members Birthdays
doughboy (66), tinman (64), mofo (57), JAFI (56), Topgun (54), Hogwylde (54), Pay Toilet (53), grwhite038 (51), JWG883 (50), sorryifitburns (46), Leibniz (44), higgins14 (42)
View Poll Results: (On a scale of 1-10) Should I get a Sportster??? Are they reliable??
9-10: Hell yes. I've had few/no mechanical problems, dealer's great (though I may have had to search around), fun, capable bike. It's the only one for me. 866 79.23%
7-8: Very good: I would recommend getting one, but I've had some nagging mechanical problems. Dealer's been okay to so so, like my Sporty, but one day I'll probably get another bike. 138 12.63%
5-6: Above average. Decent dealer support. Had some probs, but covered under warranty. Everybody's different. Figure out what suits you, and go from there. 66 6.04%
3-4: Below avg. I would look elsewhere before you buy. Let me tell you why. 23 2.10%
1-2: Poor. Harley's always made nothing but junk and always will make nothing but junk. Sportys are just another in a long line of poo. My dealer is crap. DO NOT BUY ONE!!! 19 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1093. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: na
Sportster/Buell Year: na
gaTYr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I buy a Sportster??

Hello, new to the forum. I'll be getting a new bike in a few months, and I'm just looking around at some different models right now. I think the 2008 Sportys look great, and from reading around the forums, most are very pleased with their purchases. I live in Florida, and would probably drive the extra hour or so it would take me to get to Lakeland Harley and buy there because I've heard good things about that dealership. I have a lot of questions and a short poll to go with this thread.

The big conception is that Harleys used to have mechanical issues and has now resolved them. To the point where fit and finish exceed Japanese rivals. Is this true?? Have you had many problems?

Is a Sportster suitable for touring, say 500 miles or so per day?

For the most part, have most of you been able to find a pretty good dealer to help with service, warranty issues, etc.?

I live in Florida. It gets hot, hot, hot. And humid, humid, humid. I have read that water cooled bikes are better for hot weather. Will my Sportster be prone to more overheating in the hot weather?

Sportsters fun and maneuverable and somewhat flickable?

Again, reliability is a big issue. Are they reliable?

I want a cruiser, but not a big bike.

Last edited by gaTYr; 25th July 2007 at 03:42.. Reason: more thoughts
Old 25th July 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Winchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enoughWinchester92367 will become famous soon enough
Default BUY ONE BUY ONE BUY ON and BUY One for God's Sake

After taking a break for 25 years I bought my 1st HD, a 2005 883L and I absolutely love it. I looked at all the imports of the same class and and then the 883L (got the Low because I am vertically challanged at 5'5) and Damn!!! After I rode it, it was the most fun I can have with my clothes on!!! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the imports but you just don't get the same thrill and and they are as pretty as hell and you can customize the living Sh*&^T of the thing. I think HD has straightend out the mechanical problems, this was mostly occuring (from what I have read) when AMF was owner of HD but since that time is a great machine. I have had no problems with it what so ever.

Depending on when your looking to purchase, you can find a pretty good used one 1 or 2 years old with balance of warranty on it. Mine was 2005 with only 940 miles on it was about $1.5 K less than brand new and still has a few months left on the warranty and if you buy from the dealer (or stealer depending the dealership) you have option of getting an extended warranty
Alren Ness Big Sucker
Dyno Jet carb kit
Old 25th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond repute

to the XLForum gaTYr

Buy from a MSRP Dealer. You're going to need the extra cash for Loud Pipes, eh Kev M? HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 25th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

whoa there--I can't digest those questions that fast.
1st off welcome to the forum
I find that the Sportster is an excellent overall bike.
Harley's have come a long long way from the 80's qualities issues.
I do not have any problems with my Sportster.
As far as getting service they are pretty easy to work on, even for a mechanical nimrod like me.
The neat thing about Sprtsters is that they can be many things to many people. A real curve runner, a touring bike, a chopper, a bobber, a hot rod, a show bike, whatever.
I regularly do 300 and 400 mile rides and am not all beat to hell, so I am sure a 400-500 mile ride is not out of the question. Others I am sure will chime in that they go further than that.
Old 25th July 2007
Banned

Gone is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my 06 883XL. I wouldn't trade it for any import. Take off the stock mufflers and throw them away. Replace with something between quiet and loud.
ENJOY!
Old 25th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
maddhatter777 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a quote on here from one of the guys. "There are two kinds of bikes. A Harley and all others." It really is funny when you tell someone you ride. They ask what kind of bike you have. The question they are really asking is "is it a Harley"? I love mine because I'm not a big guy and my wife is one gene above a midget haha. (4'10" 95lbs but her bro is 6'2") If you want to long haul and you are a big guy and your wife wants to tag along you may want a bigger bike. I know A LOT of guys have had sportsters for short periods just to step up in size. Me I'd rather get a NRHS conversion.
Old 25th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
SYNZILLA is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2006 1200 Low (I like the center controls). I was also concerned about possible machanical problems. But, so far I have about 7,000 trouble free miles and I have not had any mechanical problems. I would not call it a touring bike, but I regularly put in 200-300 mile days with no problems (although I did replace the stock seat with a more padded seat). You WILL need louder pipes (I drilled out the baffles on mine, will replace with new pipes when I decide on the right ones). The feel the sportster has shortcomings, but for the type of riding I like to do (back country roads about 50 mph) it is a lot of fun! And it is a ton of fun in the twisties! Plus I get 55 MPG.

Last edited by SYNZILLA; 25th July 2007 at 04:13.. Reason: correct spelling error.
Old 25th July 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Victory High-Ball
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Roadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura about

I love my sportster, though it's not the only bike i'll ever own, i sure wont be getting rid of it. The stealer is kind of shitty, but i can live with that. The bike's been pretty damn reliable, with only one warranty repair.
Old 25th July 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
JohnBoy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sporty is my 5th road bike and is by far my favorite bike. Very reliable and a blast to ride. Dealer rocks and goes out of there way to help people out and to make sure you are completely satified.
In other words go for it.
Old 25th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
salukidawg is on a distinguished roadsalukidawg is on a distinguished road

I just switched from a Vstrom to a sporty. I just smile all the time on the sportster. It is just a good ol standard raw boned motorcycle. It is fun on twisty roads, holds steady like a rock even when semi's blow by on hwy. With a windscreen and some luggage you could definately tour a bit but just not as comfortably as a dedicated touring bike. My brother-in-law rode his late 80s sporty all over the country on one. I don't have a windscreen, i love the clean air compared to getting hammered on a quasi-fared vstrom that whips up all kinds of currents. The sporty just plain rocks.