The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Talk to me about Painting
Last Post: brixtonanima
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 56
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,017
Views: 541,108
0 Mikuni 42 on 883
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,491
0 Harley Vincent?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 Marrying used speedometer
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 167
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 287
Views: 14,631
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Replies: 165
Views: 34,320
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 74
Views: 11,456
0 USA made Stainless hardware better than stock
Replies: 19
Views: 681
0 DK Custom Products License Plate Relocations
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 6,288
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 16,203
Views: 923,560
0 Resto-Repair 84 ironhead
Last Post: rocketnorton
Replies: 9
Views: 422
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,988
Views: 265,264
0 Help me identify this bike
Last Post: AKL1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 444
0 My blow through turbo XL1200C
Last Post: thecarnie
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 298
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,682
Views: 1,963,079
0 Fi to carb
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4,596
Views: 589,718
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 46,791
Views: 7,454,724
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 17,808
Views: 1,795,552
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 4,131
0 Diagnostic code ?
Replies: 17
Views: 344
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 1,432
Views: 190,176
0 Front head gasket leak
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 200
0 Passenger peg relocation with Rinehart Fast Tracks exhaust
Last Post: GorilladaHun
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 muffler balance pipe
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 19
Views: 485
0 Do people notice your bike?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,223
Views: 339,597
0 Lifters+w cams
Last Post: Gazotenekes
Replies: 2
Views: 62
1 Sportster's they are just sexy
Last Post: 83ironman
Replies: 9
Views: 726
0 FNG from Oregon
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 140
More...
Members Birthdays
garyschmidt (78), JicJac (70), alleybabe (62), Galewarning (56), wngdweeler (51), scooter (47), kariglam1 (45), HERDYAN (45), V-XL (43)
Tags
help please, ironhead, problems, timing

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2014
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 77
Other Motorcycle Model: 1978 FX Shovelhead
Pan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to beholdPan55 is a splendid one to behold

#1 you didn't hone the cyl when installing new rings...not good...nothing for the rings to seat into..

#2 you didn't check ring endgaps...bad...could be that the cyls were already worn enough that you have excessive ring end gaps..

#3 you HAVE to readjust the pushrods to specs or actually for this purpose even a little looser....

#4 have you even had the bike started and run in to allow the rings to TRY to seat ?? can take quite a few miles..

#5 you mention re seating the valves ??? you would recheck** the compression everytime you re seated the vlaves...this has me scrathing my head...what exactly are you doing to "reseat"?? removing the head, and re lapping the valves?

IM not trying to bust your bubble here...BUT..you have basically done everything wrong possible as far as rebuilding a top end...
Old 16th September 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
rideforfreedom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I should've done all that sure, but I'm not looking for a super nice, reliable bike. That's what my BMW GS is for. It was never my full intention to rebuild the top end, I just figured I'd replace the things that were easy to get and work on. I re lapped the valves yes. I'm only in the US for less then two weeks so I'm really not looking for the perfect "do it right fix". I'll do that when I come back from England and have the actual time to do it right and to spec and all correctly. I'm just trying to get the bike running well enough to putt around on for the last few days I can. Ironmick, I'd love to get it up to operating temp if it ran well enough. My biggest problem is that the timing seems to be off, but why would it be? I really do not want to start screwing with things if I dont have to. So I guess my real question would be, how could the cam gears be off? and would it be gears if the push rod adjustment helped A LOT? I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything for having such an interesting and neat motorcycle, but it's not my daily driver bike or anything so I don't really feel the need to be perfect because I also just honestly don't have the time to be.
Old 16th September 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
sportsterdood is on a distinguished roadsportsterdood is on a distinguished road

The problem is unless it is done right you risk damage that is going to be quite costly down the road. Improperly installed rings will trash pistons, cylinders, and worse if metal gets into your bottom end. I'm no expert like a lot of these guys but seems to me you will be money ahead to wait until you can do it right, unless of course money is no object.
Old 16th September 2014
Biker

I'm getting 135 in the front and 125 in the rear after adjusting the push rods some more. It seems to be more of an adjustment problem rather than anything else. If anyone has some better insight on this I'd love to hear it! Like I've been saying before, the exhaust seems to be sucking in a tad bit so if some one would like to help assure me that it's my adjustment of the push rods that'd be pretty nice. I do appreciate the concern of me doing it "perfect", but it's not helping my current problem. I'd just like to have my fun bike running so I can hear the beautiful Harley sound.
Old 16th September 2014
Biker

So here's the latest. I put it all back together. She starts right up but pisses some gas at me from the carb and I had a puff of exhaust come at me as well. She runs well just is puffing back at me through the carb. Is this still push rod adjustments? Or is the timing off? Some info asap would be great!
Old 16th September 2014
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH/H
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Fridge has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforfreedom View Post
So here's the latest. I put it all back together. She starts right up but pisses some gas at me from the carb and I had a puff of exhaust come at me as well. She runs well just is puffing back at me through the carb. Is this still push rod adjustments? Or is the timing off? Some info asap would be great!
I think it is still push rod adjustments.
Go thru the procedure again,exactly like in the video and make absolutely, positively sure that you have the one you are adjusting at it's lowest point,with the opposing one at it's highest.(front exhaust highest, rear exhaust lowest, = adjust rear exhaust)
Some guys put clothespins on the rods to better see the up/down motion and hone in on the lowest point. Put the adjustment at just a tick loose,rather than tight. After tightening the lock nut on the adjuster,check it again for tightness. Roll the motor around and check it again.Move on to the next one.

If it's not pushrods then I'd think it was valves not seating, for whatever reason or cams not right,but it seems every time you are adjusting the push rods, the motor is giving a better response.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 16th September 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: 2001 Electra Glide
dmac122 is on a distinguished roaddmac122 is on a distinguished road

Do the push rods adjustment again TOMORROW when the engine is stone cold even a little warm will throw off your adjustment. If you didn't open up the cam chest, your valve timing should be fine. You may have an ignition timing issue. How do you hear it sucking through the exhaust? Do you have exhaust or intake leaks?
Old 17th September 2014
Biker

Newest update: after fiddling with the pushrods once again, I think I have fixed the problem! I could hear/feel sucking in exhaust with the pipe off and just doing a test. Now after running it down the road (sort of) and letting it warm up I'm going to wait till it cools down and check my adjustments. Then I'll repeat the putting down the road and back and do a compression test again. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped on this forum! I really do appreciate it all! Hopefully someone else in my situation can learn from this thread and hopefully it helps them as well!
Old 18th September 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Do not touch that bike until tomorrow if yer gonna adjust the pushrods. It must be stone-friggin' cold.

Have you watched the video in the Stickies? If not, watch and do it exactly as shown and you'll be golden. The pushrods need to spin freely with zero up-and-down play AFTER tightening the locknuts.

You've gotten a lot of top-shelf advice from very knowledgeable folks in this thread. Re-read and pay close attention to all the previous posts.

Do you have a Factory Service Manual for your year bike? Best tool you can have. Period. Exclamation point!