The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 390
Views: 53,710
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,265
Views: 925,534
0 86-90 regulator-rectifier on 2003 engine?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 287
0 Resto-Repair 84 ironhead
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 918
10 The better than average BLUE bike thread!
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 398
Views: 123,389
0 Xlch spark plugs
Last Post: Imaginearat
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 76
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,774
Views: 1,847,960
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,867
Views: 1,801,951
0 Ceramic Wax
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 36
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5,163
Views: 309,120
0 Don't drive angry
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 10
Views: 448
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 6,736
Views: 929,402
0 Talk to me about Painting
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 16
Views: 427
0 Corona Virus
Replies: 343
Views: 17,261
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 46,829
Views: 7,457,791
0 Government and financial services rip-off
Replies: 9
Views: 304
0 Uh oh!!! Brass flakes/dust (a lot of it too) in my oil
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 152
Views: 8,727
0 Drastic Failure how to diagnose
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 4,579
0 Digital odometer
Last Post: onadraw
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 71
0 My blow through turbo XL1200C
Last Post: thecarnie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 462
0 simple HF jack-lift for sporty mod.
Last Post: stick shift
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 173
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 52,170
0 Solenoid issue?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 845
0 Speedometer hookup - 76 XLH
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 8,895
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 380
Views: 30,692
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 4,598
Views: 590,014
0 Are There Still Sober Riders On The Forum?
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 166
Views: 46,113
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,023
Views: 542,469
0 Is it true? (eliminate clutch spring plate)
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 59
Views: 26,140
0 Diagnostic code ?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 30
Views: 879
More...
Members Birthdays
fredstoys, voodoo (51), dstivalet (46), Barnett127 (44), illetrop (41), RideoutKSC (37), xlctobe (35)
Tags
75 xlh-1000, angle, jiffy stand, kick stand, lean

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Kennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
The first two pics in this thread (your bike, yes?) are pretty close to how mine leans, too. Looks ok to me. I sometimes park mine with the bars to the right also, no problems there. Makes it easy to get into my tool bag on my forks and not have everything spill out. I dig the gas tank!
Yeah, it's my bike. Thanks for comment on the tank. When I got it was pretty rough shape. Oil leaked everywhere, would not start, missing nuts and bolts. Wiring shorted out. Rear brakes locked up, front rotor trashed, front caliper seized, tank full of rust, carb junk, so on.

I didn't really know enough about them to know how much of a piece of junk I traded for. Anyway, was still well worth it and fun project that gave me some quality time with wife and niece in the garage. I might post a thread on the rebuild soon. I do get lot of compliments on the tank. You can't really tell from the pics in this thread but I did the custom battery tray to match the tank also. It is not 100% done yet but close. Here is before pic.

Old 11th October 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Sprint 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Captain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to behold
Default Hillbilly engineering

A cut up old socket, bolt, nut, washer. Almost looks like it's supposed to be there.
Old 11th October 2019
Biker

Kennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really niceKennyv is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
Normaly I park the bike with the wheel turned to the left. That makes more sense, that way the wheel won't turn by itself and hit the garage wall or maybe other bikes next to it. Another reason to park it with the wheel to the left is that you can use the steering lock. I parked them this way for the looks of the pictures.

Well, we were all newbies once. Some of us learned it the hard way, you really don't want that...If you still feel insecure and really want to get good riding skills, please consider a riding course. There are courses (at least in the country where I live) where you can even do this on your own bike. This will help you to learn the trick of the trade. How to use the brakes (both!), cornering, avoiding hazardous situations etc...
Thanks for reply and encouragement. For the record, I am very considerate for the safety of others. So I for now, I am taking it slow, very slow. First time out I just went around the block and never left 1st gear ... haha. I have a nice empty parking lot near me that I am able to toy around in also. I don't plan on taking it on main roads with other traffic until I am very comfortable. Hardest part so far was just getting the feel of the bike around tight corners and trusting my instinct. I have learned to use the rear brake and clutch in this case and getting pretty good in the empty parking lot. The other part was just getting used to down shifting and knowing what gear it is in. I think this old ironhead is little more finicky to shift than a modern bike.
Old 11th October 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johnny View Post
A cut up old socket, bolt, nut, washer. Almost looks like it's supposed to be there.
First one I've seen like that but great idea and looks great. Ironically, that's exactly where my original jiffy stand was cracked ... right at the base of the socket. I saved it along with all my other old parts for some reason. Would want to make sure that bolt is ultra strong.
Old 11th October 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

I liked it. For a quick fix.
Old 11th October 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
On the second pic it doesn't look that dramatic. Not more than my standard jiffy on a '92 883

...or my '84 ironhead...
NLXL, Lean on your 92 looks so similar to mine, out of curiosity I couldn't resist overlaying the images to see how close they actually are. Check this out, pretty much an exact match on the lean angle!

Old 11th October 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyv View Post
NLXL, Lean on your 92 looks so similar to mine, out of curiosity I couldn't resist overlaying the images to see how close they actually are. Check this out, pretty much an exact match on the lean angle!

I like what you did with the overlay. Never thought of that, very smart
Old 11th October 2019
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1970 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
smokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of light

My bike had a good lean to it. Lived in Phoenix, gets hot, sinks into asphalt, tips over,bends
the handlebars. Never did have a straight set of bars. I got the extended kickstand
and it has worked well for me. I think it gives a better angle for kicking also.
Old 11th October 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 6566
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1958
Model H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to allModel H is a name known to all
Default Lean Angle

The link below shows how Dr. Dick corrects jiffy stand lean angle on 60s Sportsters..

I do not know if this is the same procedure for your bike, different frames.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1567534
Old 12th October 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant future

Kenny on the shifting 75 was first year of left hand shift and was done by a cross over shaft that probably needs some TCL so check that out.

Last edited by ezmerf; 12th October 2019 at 00:56..