The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing Discuss drag racing on a Sportster Motorcycle.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,408
Views: 673,547
0 03 xlh 88"
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 347
0 XR-Cafe-Conversion
Last Post: tomaso
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 302
Views: 53,921
0 Iree's late night cafe
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 983
Views: 99,848
0 nine T racer
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 42
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 219
0 Where to buy starter brushs 69xlh
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 247
0 Will a 2000 swingarm bolt up/ fit my 99?
Last Post: jordan1200
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Why I am leaving the forum!
Last Post: jcn59
Replies: 98
Views: 16,460
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Last Post: Four Speed
Replies: 246
Views: 76,564
0 Tranny Question
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 1
Views: 60
0 Rumble strips
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 13
Views: 472
0 TC88A makes me smile until WOT
Last Post: robistro
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 870
3 Transmission Assembly, Tutorial w/Pics
Last Post: sltm1
Replies: 69
Views: 50,334
0 New Fuel Cap
Last Post: priell3
Replies: 0
Views: 42
0 09 Buell XB12 crank
Last Post: Boudwood
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 226
0 Adding electric start...was there one on here before?
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 78
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 80
Views: 3,559
0 Xl/Buell drag bike parts
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 32
Views: 3,304
5 Favourite grips?
Last Post: Tom_K527
Replies: 52
Views: 9,205
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 794
Views: 72,439
0 Screw Loose's Repairs
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 311
Views: 47,621
0 First Harley(has issues) - 95 sportster 1200
Replies: 12
Views: 595
0 hi guys kiwi from australia...we make more money over here
Replies: 9
Views: 236
5 Is It Possible To Be "in Love" With Two People At The Same Time?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 216
Views: 23,511
0 Good 2 into 2 exhaust?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 4
Views: 147
0 With this fit my 99
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 80
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Replies: 41,823
Views: 6,449,363
0 Another ironhead roadracer
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 26
Views: 1,100
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,728
Views: 244,864
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda rebel 300
Other Motorcycle Year: 2018
Jheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud ofJheitt has much to be proud of

As others have said, the MPH is there for it to be a ripper. Launching a bike takes practice that's all

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 14th May 2018
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200 2003
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to behold

Bike looks beautiful!!
the track has good prep, so the strut ok, when I used a stut I found was harder to get traction so put shock back on and, that worked for me. I was going out the hole at about 6,000 rev, riding clutch. I had the strut & I had the front strapped down, you could try strapping the front down. but that can also mean you might need a steering damper but I think for the trap speed your doing you should be fine with front strapped down & give it more rev's off the line to get 60ft time down. if front comes up keep it wide open but control front with your clutch & 12's easy.
enjoy it!
Old 15th May 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
mac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant future

I’ve always liked having zero sag in the front end. Found it more predictable and easier to ride. Eliminate the variables to find consistency.
Old 15th May 2018
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200 2003
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac93 View Post
I’ve always liked having zero sag in the front end. Found it more predictable and easier to ride. Eliminate the variables to find consistency.
yes probably a good idea, I used the straps but found my traction was not as good ( weight transfer ). zero sag would make it more predictable. once I get used to my bike and racing, I don't like to change anything.
Old 24th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinkade View Post
Bike looks beautiful!!
the track has good prep, so the strut ok, when I used a stut I found was harder to get traction so put shock back on and, that worked for me. I was going out the hole at about 6,000 rev, riding clutch. I had the strut & I had the front strapped down, you could try strapping the front down. but that can also mean you might need a steering damper but I think for the trap speed your doing you should be fine with front strapped down & give it more rev's off the line to get 60ft time down. if front comes up keep it wide open but control front with your clutch & 12's easy.
enjoy it!
My opinion, wheelie bars are like a rollcage in car...safety item. Pretty sure I launch this thing at 6000, she's coming over!
Old 25th May 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Vohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura aboutVohnsen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprtstr1200s View Post
My opinion, wheelie bars are like a rollcage in car...safety item. Pretty sure I launch this thing at 6000, she's coming over!
if you got a stock sporty 1200 there is no need for starting at 6k.. i start at 3500 and dump the clutch and i got fine 60ft times..

stock got plenty of tq at low and no power above 5k anyway
Old 2nd June 2018
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Slojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohnsen View Post
if you got a stock sporty 1200 there is no need for starting at 6k.. i start at 3500 and dump the clutch and i got fine 60ft times..

stock got plenty of tq at low and no power above 5k anyway
Runnin it up to 6 grand before shifting might be takin you out of the powerband try shifting at 45 or 5 and go up from there if it feels like it's not pulling as hard as it does when you start out you need to shift sooner.once you get the feel of the motor your times will go down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2nd June 2018
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Racepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to beholdRacepres is a splendid one to behold

FWIW I have launched at Higher than 6k... even higher than 65k... Only when Racing Heads-Up... if Dial-in... No Need really... I'm thinking 4k to 45 hundred.. to stay in the Power. Much dependant on Track Prep!! Shifting?? If ya had an air Shifter it would tell you when you have went too far.. If you go over the top with an air shifter .. they will Not shift reliably..
Sometimes it may even be advantageous to shift even earlier than 4k
Be nice to Know at what RPM your combination "Noses Over".. Need to shift before that...
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd June 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
FWIW I have launched at Higher than 6k... even higher than 65k... Only when Racing Heads-Up... if Dial-in... No Need really... I'm thinking 4k to 45 hundred.. to stay in the Power. Much dependant on Track Prep!! Shifting?? If ya had an air Shifter it would tell you when you have went too far.. If you go over the top with an air shifter .. they will Not shift reliably..
Sometimes it may even be advantageous to shift even earlier than 4k
Be nice to Know at what RPM your combination "Noses Over".. Need to shift before that...
I'm short shifting first and second big time. I roll on it once I get it in third. This bitch really likes fourth gear and at no point have I hit that "Nose Over" rpm. All this is a mute point until a call Pingel and get the struts I need and new wheels for the bars I have. But trust me, I put her in the 12s the next time out.
Old 3rd June 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
mac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant futuremac93 has a brilliant future

If you’re short shifting first and second you’re leaving a LOT on the table. Those are the biggest rpm drops. You’re not going over the power band, you’re shift points might be so low you’re going under it. As has been said, gotta find the sweet spot and keep it there. With a little seat time e.t. and consistency will follow. Have fun!