The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Tranny oil
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 104
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,665
0 Cam needle bearings correct install
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 120
0 The last of a dying breed...
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 431
0 Shovster build take2
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 413
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,581
Views: 1,018,996
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 5,111
0 This week on Craig's list
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,716
Views: 626,428
0 ....1
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,590
Views: 324,870
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 1,697
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Blackesthart
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,996
Views: 993,305
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 72
Views: 3,193
0 1979 Ironhead Starter Washer, Bushing
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 32
0 Carb starting issue.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 7
Views: 180
0 WTB NOKK needle...
Last Post: Folkie
Views: 22
0 Mikuni Knock Off "REVEALED" !!!
Last Post: davesz1r
Replies: 3
Views: 148
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,187
Views: 2,059,347
0 Wont Fire up!
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 267
0 Poll....what do you wear on your hands?
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 229
Views: 34,792
0 How many Sporty seats ya got for one ass?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Replies: 274
Views: 57,858
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: davesz1r
Replies: 605
Views: 191,502
0 What kind of saddle do you use on your sporty?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 295
Views: 87,359
0 Hot
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 51
0 Parts
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 43
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: 1skullster1
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,787
Views: 7,656,822
0 Be Careful Out There!
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 4
Views: 177
0 XL 1200CX Wheels on 2020 883 iron
Last Post: Seanu30
Replies: 4
Views: 177
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,817
Views: 2,073,472
0 Coil polarity
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 891
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,053
Views: 1,004,705
More...
Members Birthdays
boblaine (85), mike wels (74), GaryR (64), cat5752 (53), Ocbuckeye (50), commandesc (45), vividblack05 (38), north_cack

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2020
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing.
It's almost impossible for most countries (certainly) Australia to compete with the Chinese for steel. (And a lot of other things).
Have a talk with any engineering shop about what they are getting these days. I KNOW some of the steel we have been buying of late which comes from China isn't up to specs.
The Chinese have ZERO ethics when it comes to business.
Think Melamine in Baby Formula.
The stuff you buy from the hardware store might come from Cincinnati. Or it may well have come from Wuhan. You just don't know when it's unbranded and ungraded.

I NEVER use the cheapest fasteners I can find on my race bikes. It's MY life that depends on them.

Here's another tip: Talk to a helicopter mechanic about bolts. Those guys know what best practice is. Every boly x-rayed before it goes in. Take it out for whatever reason and it goes in the bin. They are single use items. Consumables.

I just spent 6 weeks compiling a report for the Queensland's Coroner's Office. For someone who died at a race meeting my club put on. If you spend much time at a serious road racing circuit you are going to see people die. That's a fact.
Just yesterday I was contacted by the Principle Investigating Officer working for the Queensland OHS and Queensland Police asking me to answer more questions about this incident.

I have seen enough parts fall off of motorcycles at race tracks to know they are assembled by human beings.

And these are race bikes, built by people who should know better. And examined by qualified scrutineers before every race meeting.

Of course, if something falls off on a street bike it doesn't matter so much.

Sorry for the long rant but I've seen just a little too much of what the Previous Owner did just to save a few cents. It's a habit no one should fall into with these fine machines.
Old 1st June 2020
Blind Owl

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, anybody who wants to talk with someone about safety aspects on mtorcycles maybe talk to ths guy.
I suspect he knows a bit about these things by now.

Quote:
Sent: Monday, 1 June 2020 9:46 AM
To: xlch67@hotmail.com <xlch67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re Incident at Lakeside Raceway on 28 September 2014 involving Mr Steven Anderson

Good Morning Mr Gene Lopeman,

My name is Paul Mcilveen and I am a Principal Investigator with Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and in conjunction with the Qld Police Service I am conducting a review of the incident at the Lakeside Raceway that occurred on 28 September 2014 upon a request from the Qld Coroner’s Office.

I am seeking to obtain from information from you in relation to your knowledge of the incident, the role of persons at the time of the incident, in particular the roles of persons involved in the installation of the Air Fence and the Queensland Crash Bags.

If you could please respond to this email if you are prepared to provide information about this incident or that you do not wish to.

Thanking You

Paul Mcilveen

Paul McILVEEN

Principal Investigator BSCWB Region

Statewide Investigations

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

Office of Industrial Relations

M: 0466492828

Level 1, JH Roberts House, 60 Wises Road, Maroochydore QLD 4558

PO Box 5177, Maroochydore QLD 4558

paul.mcilveen@oir.qld.gov.au
Old 1st June 2020
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at parts books trying to understand what screw is needed. So far I'm a bit confused. This is what I found.

Post 1.
The year listed in the profile is 1982 and the clamp is described as a" single piece cast riser."

The clamp for 1 piece handle bars starting in 1974 consists of 2 seperate bottom risers with a one piece top clamp and uses screw #3778. 1/2-13 x 3-3/4 long. Screwed in from the top.

The #4414 1/2-20 x 2-1/2 that you say you need appears to have only been used in 1973.

The one piece steel clamp for split bars used 1972 and earlier uses screw #56154-52. 1/2-20 x 2-7/8. Screwed into the clamp from the bottom of the triple tree.

Are you working on a '82?
Old 1st June 2020
Blind Owl

Quote:
it is a fine threaded bolt,
To me that's says it's going into steel, not alloy.
Old 2nd June 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant future
Smile

As a retired engineer whose specialty was threaded connections I feel comfortable standing by what I said.

I went through the great counterfeit fastener years from about 1988 to 1994 when
several ( not just the Chinese) countries realized a bolt with a certain mark on the head was worth 3 or 4 times more money than another.

I am aware of the problem (although it's better than it once was) but I think my point was missed.

Two 1/2" diameter fasteners being used to secure the handlebar assembly is such overkill that the material strength is less concern. . Aluminum bolts of that diameter would be plenty strong ( yes, I have done it ).

Most of the hardware on an HD has a huge overkill safety factor as do most American
designs since the manufactures learned a long time ago that we don't like to be told what to do . AS Strong ,Independent, Adult, citizens we bristle at being orderd to "torque to 65 ft. lbs."

Racers are the worst!
Old 2nd June 2020
Blind Owl

Your right of course, the bolts in normal service will never fail.

But I'm just going through yet another bodged bike with dodgy parts held on with zip ties and metric bolts hammered in.

Some Previous Owners should be held accountable in some meaningful way.

I do hope Karma is a real thing.