The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,865
Views: 1,280,832
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,362
Views: 196,694
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 1,997
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 8,645
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 battery drain
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Last Post: gpydeski
Replies: 2
Views: 55
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3,928
Views: 766,042
0 hello and help!
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 16
Views: 464
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 71
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: harley506d
Views: 39
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 619
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,955
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 576
Views: 75,242
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 10,581
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 37
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,082
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 59
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,299
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 200
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 12
Views: 378
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,180
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,333
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,636
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 147
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,426
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 111
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
There ya go Chuck. Thread is sticky.

Also, on my post above, by making a new smaller group with you becoming the leader, you could pull the smaller group over and wait for traffic to clear enough for you to make it to the turn lane. There is always time to catch up to a group when you are still on two wheels. Never time when there's an accident.
Looking back, even with the other traffic around, that would have probably been the best option. I got a little rushed because I knew the turn was coming and let my anger at the truck and GW guy cloud my judgement.
Old 18th April 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: zx-10R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
wickedsprint has disabled reputation

You say the dodge was pacing you, slow down to see exactly how slow he will go, then out accelerate him and cut him off...problem solved, or I am missing the big picture, which would not be unusual.
Old 18th April 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
You say the dodge was pacing you, slow down to see exactly how slow he will go, then out accelerate him and cut him off...problem solved, or I am missing the big picture, which would not be unusual.
I like an honest man...

Now I have an accurate indication....here's my assessment:

First- Hostile cager. Refuses to allow traffic into the lane...
Second- Weather Roads are wet...

Unsafe conditions exists and have been identified

Possible solutions:

1. Double-up with the Goldwinger, and slow down traffic to allow the group to re-group and turn together

2. Back off, signalling to riders behind, and find a safer place to change lanes...this rider, in effect, becomes a lead rider, by proxy, and should consider him or herself in control of the remainder of the group, until the bikes re-group.

3. Catch up to the lead, and apprise him.

4. Pull a gun, throw marbles, eggs, what-have-you, in an attempt to further provoke the openly hostile cager, because after all, you're a bad-ass biker, and who does this guy think he's messin with?

Anyone else have possible solutions to offer in this scenario?

(BTW, I don't necessarily condone or agree with what even I'VE written, so go for it..)

OK, first addition...(other than my own additional choice)

5. slow down to see exactly how slow he will go, then out accelerate him and cut him off...problem solved

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 18th April 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond repute

I think if time permitted, I would've gotten the Dodge truck's license number...take the plate number and this scenario to the MSF instructor at Fairchild Air Force Base...they take this stuff very seriously, and I would bet the MSF instructor would take this "allegation" to the base commander, and besides the dependent wife ragging the Dodge driver, he'd have some brass that would have his ass! Besides the bad public relations the driver would have given the air force had there been an accident. the Secretary of Defense has established a goal of a 50% reduction rate in ground mishaps this year! Those base commanders have a big job ahead of them and I'm sure the commander would not tolerate incidences like you experienced with an air force member! Let the mofo walk for awhile, and maybe he'll realize the statement our parents always told us..."Driving is a privilege...not a right!" I know it's easy to say what I'd do since I wasn't there...I'm sure the rain and the situation didn't allow for that! I am glad to hear everything turned out ok, but just reading your post made me angry at that Dodge driver...I haven't mastered road rage completely yet...a .357 bullet to the Dodge's right front tire was a fleeting thought I had before I told myself, "No,No, Mike...mustn't do that anymore...it's the 21st Century now!"

While I was googling for some Air Force stats, I found this policy letter on motorcycle safety for the air force...I'd say between this forum and the MSF classes, we're doing a pretty good job out here trying to keep our members safe...all things considered!

http://afsafety.af.mil/AFSC/files/Mo...a%20Mentor.pdf
Old 18th April 2005

GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
Tried that sort of. When he slowed down with me I went ahead and gunned it. But with his acceleration and the shrinking gap between what would be his front bumper and the rear bumper of the GW, I chickened out. I wasn't sure he would brake or let up in time to keep his forward momentum from slamming into the back of me. Slowing down was actually only one or two car lengths before we were up against the cagers behind him. So not a whole lot of room. And with the wet road I didn't want to be making too hard of a cut.

A more experienced rider might have made it but like I said, I chickened out.

Planb, I was a Law Enforcement troop in the USAF and that thought did occur to me. Only it was about five blocks after we turned off.
Old 18th April 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond repute

It might not be too late to let the MSF instructor or LE folks know about the incident...a letter or article in the base newspaper won't punish the culprit, but I'll bet a lot of airman would know who it was by the description of the truck...can't be too many of them on base...and as good as you write, I'll bet it would be a great way for the safety office to start out the motorcycle season by having a "lessons learned" article with a local incident to relate to! Guess I'd just like to see some kind of justice to the jerkwad in the truck!

I was going to kid around and say I'll bet it was a "blue" DD2220, but since we have some members here with blue ones, I can't!
Old 18th April 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by planb
It might not be too late to let the MSF instructor or LE folks know about the incident...a letter or article in the base newspaper won't punish the culprit, but I'll bet a lot of airman would know who it was by the description of the truck...can't be too many of them on base...and as good as you write, I'll bet it would be a great way for the safety office to start out the motorcycle season by having a "lessons learned" article with a local incident to relate to! Guess I'd just like to see some kind of justice to the jerkwad in the truck!

I was going to kid around and say I'll bet it was a "blue" DD2220, but since we have some members here with blue ones, I can't!
The 2219 was red but he looked a little old for an airman. Could be a reservist or Army (they sometimes don't follow the same color code) that was using the base privileges. Then again, my sexist ways are showing cuz it could be that he was the Dependent Husband and she was Active Duty.

Thanks for the compliment on the writing and I might just sent a nice letter.
Sponsored Links
Old 19th April 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Bump

This one deserves it...I can't believe there are so few responses...

Old 19th April 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Road King Classic Black
motorrunning is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with planb, they might have previous history on this guy, and know precisely who he is. You could be helping another rider.

A long time ago I got pulled over for speeding by a state cop with an attitude. I stayed cool but decided to fight the ticket because of his behavior. I mentioned in court that he the state cop was disrespectful when he pulled me over. The court magistrate went off on him telling him he was tired of hearing complaints about his unprofessional behavior from motorcyclists. He dismissed the ticket!

Good Luck!
Old 19th April 2005
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Broncodog is on a distinguished roadBroncodog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantolina

2. Back off, signalling to riders behind, and find a safer place to change lanes...this rider, in effect, becomes a lead rider, by proxy, and should consider him or herself in control of the remainder of the group, until the bikes re-group.
When riding in group the signal to change lanes gets passed back and the end rider changes lanes to block traffic and the group ahead moves over. In this split group condition with the ahole in the middle not willing to let the rest in, you should change lanes behind him and catch the group at the turn or further up. Why the GW did not slow to let you guys in is probably because he had no real group riding experience. He becomes the rear guard in that instance and should have let you guys in.
Orange County Chapter