The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 346
Views: 17,613
0 Smaller turn signals
Last Post: lehel
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 216
0 My 900: half-H, half-CH
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,058
0 86-90 regulator-rectifier on 2003 engine?
Last Post: lehel
Replies: 17
Views: 326
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 16,274
Views: 925,916
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,164
Views: 309,139
0 xied or x14ied?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 58
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Replies: 17,871
Views: 1,802,471
0 Speedometer hookup - 76 XLH
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 22
Views: 8,921
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,831
Views: 7,458,232
0 Intake seals, glad I checked them
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 62
0 simple HF jack-lift for sporty mod.
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 278
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 6,738
Views: 929,808
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 85
Views: 52,348
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 34
Views: 4,217
0 Drastic Failure how to diagnose
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 56
Views: 4,774
0 Xlch spark plugs
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 6
Views: 164
0 Diagnostic code ?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 971
0 I hope this is not the "New Normal"
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 3
Views: 94
0 Help with jacking up my sportster
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 26
Views: 2,796
0 Solenoid issue?
Last Post: Gulf Coaster
Replies: 18
Views: 902
0 Resto-Repair 84 ironhead
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 1,156
0 Help, Headlight out and fuse thing clicks?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Replies: 9
Views: 519
0 PSA on headlight shell wires
Replies: 0
Views: 88
0 harbor freight lift
Replies: 22
Views: 1,018
0 Digital odometer
Last Post: onadraw
Replies: 4
Views: 180
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 390
Views: 54,070
10 The better than average BLUE bike thread!
Replies: 398
Views: 124,242
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Replies: 4,774
Views: 1,848,721
0 Ceramic Wax
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 3
Views: 80
More...
Members Birthdays
mcevoy, Dnight (54), alvin01101 (54), rahean (52), 2005883c (46), cliff883 (45), HotRodSporty (44), Wes Marshall (41), liquidice148 (34)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
DC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really nice

1. Year of bike - 1999
2. Model (1200/883/other) 1200 at the time
3. Miles on clutches? 50K or so
4. Fluid used when slipping of clutch began? Sporttrans
5. How many miles on that same fluid? not sure
6. Did you perform routine adjustments per the service/owners manual? yes
7. Your riding style: Aggressive, semi-agressive, normal, and easy going 75% mellow, 25 % hot rodding

What my problem was a rivet broke out of the spring plate (whatever it is called) and ripped my plates, clutch basket and hub to shreds

Replaced with stock hub and basket with a Rivera clutch pack. Works great, seems industuctable so far.

DC

Last edited by DC in PHX; 8th June 2008 at 18:07..
Old 8th June 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
bjc3113 is on a distinguished roadbjc3113 is on a distinguished road

2006 883 11,000 miles, having clutch problems, tried doing adjustment and couldn't get it right. I took it to DIFFERENT dealer than last time and they say pressure plate exploded and damaged basket and are replacing it all under warranty. Quoted me 7-10 days for parts to come.

2006 XL883 Sportster, Vivid Black, Willie G Skull accessories, spoke wheels, smoked turn signals, rejetted carb, S.E. High flow air, Vance and Hines Sideshots!
Old 8th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Lynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura about

Heh, wish I'd thought of that while I was still under warranty!

< SE .551 cams / SuperTrapp 2-1 SuperMeg exhaust / Forcewinder XR2 airbox / Mikuni HSR42 carburetor / TC88A ignition / Progressive 13" shocks>
Old 8th June 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH STROKER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Jimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget two things with the rubbermounts

1. The MOCO is using two different clutch springs, one for the 883 and one for the 1200. It seems that the 883 spring doesn't hold up well after the conversion.

2. In hoping that the MOCO could get more female riders to start with the Sportster they made the clutch pull effort less, I think that that resulted in making the springs lighter that what they were for the '03 and earlier bikes.

I remember when I did my conversion I inquired around as to whether or not the stock cutch woulld work ok after the conversion. Everyone said they had no problems with clutches after conversions. I don't think that true with the evolution of the rubbermounts, an upgraded clutch is a must when doing your conversion. I've since installed the Energy One with the extra plate and disc and the 15% heaiver spring. Cluch pul is hardly noticable. Just my observations.
Old 16th June 2008
The XL Forum Host

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1250 Stage 2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Road Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
bplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond reputebplinson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplinson View Post
I should have the bike back on Thursday or Saturday.
Update! I did not get the bike back on Saturday.

My indy called me and told me to come down. It did sound good to me.

Basically the clutch shell (basket) and spring plate are toast. He had to pry the plates out of the basket and the new plates will not go in.

Luckily he is cool and will let me order my own parts from the USA.

I ordered all the part just now and hopefully I will have them in three weeks.

Oh yeah....my detent plate is trashed also.

XLF on FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/XLFORUM

AMA #961454
Old 19th June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
aceospades has disabled reputation

mine is an 05 1200c with close to 15,000 miles,notice a couple of weeks back that it was engaging and dis-engaging at different points on the clutch lever..i tryed to adjust it and couldnt get it just right..i did some reading here and notice alot of people saying something about the rivets and i got worried i was in the same boat..i ordered the clutch tool and pulled it apart and there were rivets all over the place,the clutch shell has a few burrs in it but i filed them down and i think it will be ok(atleast im praying it will be) i ordered the energyone extra plate kit(i read the thread where the craftsmanship is not that great after i placed the order)so i hope they work out ok..as far as maintanece goes ive always changed the primary with syn3 at around 4k intervals,adjusted the clutch while i had the derby cover off and adjusted the primary chain at the same time,i would consider myself on the agressive side as a rider,im really mad at harley for using the spring plate with the brass rivets,i fell they should have a service bulletin out on these things,it is about the dumbest design ive ever seen,i cant believe how many posts are here with the same failure..ill post back after the ew clutch is in and let everyone know how it worked out for me..
Old 23rd June 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
aceospades has disabled reputation

update...i recieved my new energyone clutch, installed very easily and was out on the road again within an hour(because i already had the bike apart) all i can say is my clutch must have been slipping for a while and i didnt realize it,it grabs a little bit different than before when taking off but ill get used to it.as far as the clutch from energy one goes...i inspected every one of the friction plates and they were all centered fine and no issues that would have made me complain about the craftsmanship of them..i put them to the test on friday night and got pulled over by the police for doing 95 in a 55..thank god he let me go..
Old 4th September 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
MakuaKane is on a distinguished roadMakuaKane is on a distinguished road

1. Year of bike........2006
2. Model (1200/883/other)........1200R
3. Miles on clutches? 21K
4. Fluid used when slipping of clutch began? AMSOIL 20W-50
5. How many miles on that same fluid?.........about 2000
6. Did you perform routine adjustments per the service/owners manual?.....Nope, guilty as charged.
7. Your riding style: Aggressive, semi-agressive, normal, and easy going..... getting more aggresive. Got my jetting right finally and had all the power I was losing on the top end due to fuel restriction. Clutch is slipping at about 4500 rpm. Adjusted the clutch according to the manual, but it still slips, though not as bad. Didn't notice any metalic sparkling in the oil during the adjustment, but I didn't scrounge around in the bottom of the case for clutch pieces either. My indy let me know about those two plates and their weak rivets. I'm shopping for an upgrade now and intend to do the work myself. Have a buddy with a spring tool so that's a bonus too. Just deciding on what to spend $$$ on.

[URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4676"]View My Gallery[/URL]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]2006 Sportster Roadster (yellow pearl), Thunderheader, Forcewinder A/C, 48 slow jet w/2.5 turns out on the mix screw, 200 main jet, 1 brass shim under the needle, TwinTec tc88a igniton module and coil, Krankvents, ISO grips, and Progressive 412 shocks and fork springs, and a few other doo-dads.[/FONT]
Old 5th September 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Since I replaced the blown spring plate with extra stock clutch discs, I have had no problems with standard stock clutch plates and spring. I ride fairly hard, but no racing. I wear out rear tire in 7,000 to 9,000 miles. One of the reasons I stayed stock was to be able to use Amsoil synthetic. If you go with the Kevlar clutches, synthetic oil is not recommended.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 6th September 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Vespa Sprint
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
NO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enoughNO COAST CHOPPER will become famous soon enough

1. Year of bike-'04
2. Model (1200/883/other)-1200Custom
3. Miles on clutches?- About 20k
4. Fluid used when slipping of clutch began?- Clutch never slipped but the spring plate blew up. I used Formula 1 fluid.
5. How many miles on that same fluid?- 2k
6. Did you perform routine adjustments per the service/owners manual?- Yes
7. Your riding style: Aggressive, semi-agressive, normal, and easy going- like a bat outta hell.