The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Active Threads
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,252
Views: 204,260
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 425
0 Never seen this before...
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 214
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 551
Views: 108,143
0 Replacing the CV Carb Plastic Fuel Inlet Fitting with a Brass 90 Degree Fitting
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 270
0 Currently in deep shift...
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 626
0 Cylinder base nut question
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 735
0 oil filter choices
Last Post: Blackesthart
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 521
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: Blackesthart
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 104
Views: 46,402
10 how low do you let it idle
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 4,900
0 Rubbermount oil consumption poll
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 225
Views: 104,114
5 VOES Vacuum reading after engine mod... where to set?
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 Ironhead Oil Pump Gurus, come inside.
Replies: 14
Views: 567
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 13,008
Views: 1,187,595
0 Standing on kick stand lean angle enough?
Replies: 5
Views: 198
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,779
Views: 363,816
0 Full face, Half or skull cap?
Last Post: Traxx
Replies: 500
Views: 91,458
0 75 XLH Electrical problem - Accessory Circuit
Last Post: Kennyv
Replies: 11
Views: 264
0 For all the 79 owners
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 0
Views: 47
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2,343
Views: 297,759
0 Hard Struts /Weak Shocks & Torn Wires
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 0
Views: 27
0 2003 883R Progressive Fork Springs?
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 158
0 Moxley's Sportster
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 3
Views: 206
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 4,220
Views: 490,373
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Last Post: hhugger
Replies: 139
Views: 12,219
0 Will Dyna switchback shocks work on a sportster?
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 217
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 7,718
Views: 1,532,700
0 Ign coil
Last Post: owlsplace
Replies: 5
Views: 104
0 Another Sporty ADV Build
Last Post: shreksbro
Replies: 9
Views: 262
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 89
Views: 28,287
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
1200r, 883r, banjo bolt, dual, master cylinder

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Dan drew my attention to the Harley Accessory Manual for their Braided Lines. Interestingly for the 1200R and the 883R there is nothing listed as available after 2007. So I'm now thinking (or more correctly, hypothesizing) that the revision to 07A of the Master Cylinder and of the Brake Line has been related to a change in the size of the banjo bolt and banjo required. AND that Harley have failed to update the banjo bolt part number within the parts manual to reflect the change.

Unfortunately, the Australian dealers would be completely clueless with respect to this as no Rs have been available for sale here since 2004.

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 19th August 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

XLdaveR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
That M/C takes 41737-04 (banjo bolt, 12mm)
Quote:
but she got the HD part number which is listed for 08's as 12mm bolt, banjo. And that's too small also. HD also has 7/16" banjo fittings..
Going by that part number it's been the same since '04 - M12X1.5 Banjo Blot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrace View Post
Thanks Dave, it is interesting what you say. As when I measure my goodridge banjos there is very little difference between the 10mm and the 12mm. Bearing in mind that I'm not much of a "measurer" but I do have a you-beaut digital caliper.... which of course is only as good as the idiot operating it . But the inner diameter on my banjo is not even close to being 12mm. And the diameter of the threads on my banjo bolts (1 x 12mm HD & 1 x 12mm Goodridge) are both closer to 10mm than they are to 12mm.
sportytrace, you need to confirm the "12mm" banjo bolts you have are not 7/16. (7/16 = 11.1mm)
Do you have the p/n for your goodridge bolt?
Old 19th August 2009
OzChick

sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLdaveR View Post
Going by that part number it's been the same since '04 - M12X1.5 Banjo Blot

sportytrace, you need to confirm the "12mm" banjo bolts you have are not 7/16. (7/16 = 11.1mm)
Do you have the p/n for your goodridge bolt?
Thanks Dave... unfortunately no, I don't have the p/n for the goodridge; I gave the guys the details for the 08 1200R Master Cylinder and the XR caliper. They confirmed it as 12mm at the mc and 10mm at the caliper (which matched the info I had from the parts manuals as well).

Is a banjo bolt the same sizing standard as a "normal" bolt? If I get a 12 x 1.5 bolt from my local nut and bolt shop should it fit the MC if the MC is the 'true' 12mm?
Old 19th August 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Can't see why not.
I would take both the M/C and the bolt to confirm what you have got. I've been through this. Thank god for Ebay and USPS
Old 12th September 2009
OzChick

Quote:
but she got the HD part number which is listed for 08's as 12mm bolt, banjo. And that's too small also. HD also has 7/16" banjo fittings..

On tuesday I'll take a walk around parts and see if I can sort anything out for you.
Well, I did some futzing with this problem child again today. The 12mm HD banjo bolt part #41737-04 is actually 11.1mm according to the bolt man and his caliper... so it is 7/16" as Dave guessed would be the case. As is the second bolt I have, which goodridge supplied (that I don't have the part number for) but that they believed was the correct part for the 08 1200R master cylinder.

Oh and the fitting on the master cylinder does accept a standard 12mm bolt.

So now I wonder what the hell is the HD part number for a REAL 12mm banjo bolt????
Old 12th September 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
thunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the rough

That's truly got to be a pain in the tailfeathers...right part number, wrong part. Earlier in the thread, I was wondering what the deal was, as my old bolt was definitely 12X1.5. It also came out of the only (to my knowledge) m/c that was marked in mm (14mm) rather than in inches.
I hope you get the right bolt soon-this is absurd!

Kim
Old 16th October 2009
OzChick

Well, I just thought I'd update everyone on the outcome from this thread. I was back in contact with the guys who made up my brakeline and told them of my problems with the banjo bolts not matching up with the master cylinder and they got onto goodridge and confirmed that they had indeed put the incorrect "12mm" fitting on the line. That is the other banjo bolts that are referred to as 12mm but are actually 11.1mm (7/16). So they said send it back and they'll refit it for me (being a custom line and not a universal line).

So it came back today with a true 12mm banjo fitting and a 12mm x 1.5mm banjo bolt that fits perfectly within the master cylinder. So yes the 07 1/2" bore master cylinder does indeed take a 12mm banjo.

So Dave was spot-on with what he wrote (quoted down below). Thanks Dave for all your help! Greatly appreciated! And thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread... and helped me find a solution; especially Dan who sent me the master cylinder in the first place and put up with me raving in his ear about it all

As for the harley banjo bolt 41737-04 that is also supposed to be 12mm but is 11.1mm. Perhaps it was just the wrong bolt in the correct packaging. But I would suggest anyone buying one to double check it is indeed the size they need before cracking open their brake line.

I'm not normally a believer of coincidence. But perhaps it was a coincidence that I ended up with 2 banjo bolts that were both incorrect AND both the same incorrect size. Weird! And calling something that isn't 12mm, 12mm... well yes... just plain crazy

Quote:
All the 1200 R's use a 12mm X 1.5mm Banjo. It's a true 12mm where as the other 12mm banjo's from older bikes are actually (7/16)11.1mm even thou they are advertised as 12mm. Crazy I know. I just replaced mine, the 04+ R's are the only Harley to use this size. I'll find you the goodridge part number I used

Last edited by sportytrace; 16th October 2009 at 10:15..
Sponsored Links
Old 16th April 2010
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is an old thread, but I have fallen victim to the quasi/pseudo "12 mm" banjo even after reading and participating in this thread. I knew to be careful, but haste makes waste...

Apparently, in most applications as Dave pointed out, 12 mm banjos really refer to 7/16" or 11.2 mm banjos. That is, most applications EXCEPT our beloved Sportsters (and this includes XR1200's which also use a TRUE 12 mm banjo bolt at the MC). Be extra careful when ordering these parts.

Also FWIW, I ordered the same PN banjo bolt as Trace (41737-04) and I got a bonifide 12 x 1.5 mm banjo bolt, further confirming the MoCo sent the wrong part. So, I don't think we are the only ones that get confused about this...

Quote:
Goodridge 12mm Banjo for 04&up Roadster -
Straight P/N 592-03-04CH
35 Degree P/n 593-03-04CH
Dave - I don't believe the part numbers you list above won't work for the our application as they are 7/16" fittings. See the Goodridge application guide, here, pg 46 of the PDF - which is pg 44 of the guide (talk about another confusing mess). So, my belief and hope since I just ordered them, is the below are the correct part numbers:

Straight 592-03-M12
30° 593-03-M12

Some places appear to list them with the "CH" suffix for chrome. But, I can't find any place that has them in black ("B" or "BK" suffix). And, of course these appear to be about twice the price of any other banjo fitting...
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 18th April 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Interesting !

Looking at there new website, it would appear you are right.

However,
My GoodRidge Harley Installation guide list's the 593-03CH as fitting the '96 - 03
and the 593-03-04CH as fitting 04&up R's
I'm absolutely positive that's what I'm using because I'm steering at the invoice right now !
Old 19th April 2010
OzChick

The plot thickens!!!
I'm still struggling with anything being called 12mm that quite simply is not 12mm. What a confusing situation!