The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > FORUM FUNCTIONS > Introduce Yourself
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us about yourself and your bike

Active Threads
0 Cosmo's ECM Relocation Mod
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 45,912
0 Throttle side turn signal failure
Last Post: OntarioIron
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 98
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 458
Views: 51,683
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: 1200CustomHD
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,021
Views: 795,680
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 3,530
0 Race Reort: Some Disasters, Some Wins
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 961
4 What is the max drilling size in the frame?
Last Post: Cosmo Kramer
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 327
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18,167
Views: 1,072,926
0 Your never too old
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 Oil not returning to tank
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 199
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 22,345
Views: 2,284,793
0 99 1200S Sport Ignition Troubleshooting
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 33
Views: 1,168
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 245
Views: 25,312
0 05 carb rebuild no start
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 20
Views: 944
0 Sportsters in movies and TV
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Views: 128
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,095
Views: 2,186,057
0 Riding music
Last Post: sprink
Replies: 12
Views: 765
0 This week on Craig's list
Replies: 4,842
Views: 665,566
0 Photos: King Peanut or Regular Peanut tank?
Last Post: drgonzo21
Replies: 57
Views: 38,882
0 Now I did it. Feel my pain
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 6
Views: 273
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 48,424
Views: 7,823,346
0 Sportster drag bike
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 153
0 Fair price for used parts
Replies: 1
Views: 128
0 Mikuni - hangin revs
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 14
Views: 411
0 100 vs 110 front tire
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 76,010
0 Xl???
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 594
0 Replace lifter(s) w/out teardown?
Last Post: seajay
Views: 131
0 My '96!
Last Post: 1200CustomHD
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 Xr750
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 162
0 S&S Super E Carb
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 790
More...
Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (70), paris15 (62), thesmithiz (62), pajimmyjoe (61), chuckam (57), steve w (51), le_strike (44), Rubicon (38), r3db3ard3d (32), rortiz76 (32)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Puch Moped
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
Veeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud ofVeeflys has much to be proud of

Yes, that is a very nice paint job. Welcome to the forum from Aliquippa, PA. Veeflys
Old 3rd August 2020
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Yochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud ofYochstein has much to be proud of

Up until recently, I had a '78 Yamaha XS650, '76 GL1000 "Naked" Goldwing, and my '84 XLH Sportster. I was asked recently which was my favorite and if I had a choice, what would I keep. Today, the jury is still out because each bike has it's strong points. I grew up only owning Jap bikes, they were all I was used to. In fact, I was anti HD for a long time until this Sportster project came along. It is a fun bike to ride and easy to maintain. To this day, I still do not own any HD branded items (clothing, stickers, etc). I wear the same protective gear on all my bikes and I'm not treated any differently. I am a fan of the XL.

I sold the XS650 recently and I'm now down to 2 bikes. I will be happy with whatever bike is in "last" place because I only really need one.
Old 4th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! I started riding Japanese in the 60's and all of them had mid-controls and lower handlebars. I moved through the different models and styles over the years and came back to the style of my first bikes, my first Harley which I still own, a 2005 Sportster XL883 Standard. I love it! The upright seating position is exactly what my old, tired and herniated back DOES like. When I sit in the upright position with the required arch in my back (remember what your momma and your teachers said), I can ride all day with no pain.

Forward controls limit me to about 20 minutes. After that, my sciatica takes me down for weeks. The beauty of the Sportster is, there are about a million and one different things you can do to it to make it "your own".

The history of the Sportster since 1957 is fascinating. I would never consider another Harley besides a Sportster. To me, the Big Twins are rolling couches on two wheels.

Give your bike time. You will eventually find the best recipe for you. Listen to all the other riders and then filter out what you don't like. You don't have to look like them or sound like them to enjoy riding with them. I've ridden with all styles of other bikes, American, British and Japanese and the other riders have not judged me.
Old 4th August 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA Lightning
Other Motorcycle Year: 71
Michman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enoughMichman will become famous soon enough

Welcome from Michigan. I also own a 72 CB750. I alternate with the 2000 XL1200. Different feel to both. Hard to choose between them. Also have a 71 BSA totally different feel (Along with the foot controls being on opposite sides).
Old 4th August 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
sohcloyalist is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yochstein View Post
Up until recently, I had a '78 Yamaha XS650, '76 GL1000 "Naked" Goldwing, and my '84 XLH Sportster. I was asked recently which was my favorite and if I had a choice, what would I keep. Today, the jury is still out because each bike has it's strong points. I grew up only owning Jap bikes, they were all I was used to. In fact, I was anti HD for a long time until this Sportster project came along. It is a fun bike to ride and easy to maintain. To this day, I still do not own any HD branded items (clothing, stickers, etc). I wear the same protective gear on all my bikes and I'm not treated any differently. I am a fan of the XL.

I sold the XS650 recently and I'm now down to 2 bikes. I will be happy with whatever bike is in "last" place because I only really need one.
I owned an XS650 chopper project for a bit and I'd like to try one stock in the future. The project was a mess!

I have the GL1000 on my wish list as well. I love the first couple generations of Goldwings but I like the first ones with the Vetter gear on them.

I like the Harley but my girlfriend and back just don't find it comfortable yet. I got my cb750 running for a few miles and that thing just felt spot on. But then the power kept cutting out, so I gotta add that to the list of love it needs.
I appreciate your input and everyone else's for that matter!
Thanks so much folks!
Old 5th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
ZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant futureZCarFan has a brilliant future

I've looked really hard at three different GL1000s with the full Vetter setup. So far I resisted but I can understand the draw.

Funny story -- 20+ years ago I had a GT380. My wife (then fiancee) and I rode 2-up on that quite a few times before I got the Venture.
Old 5th August 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the Japanese bikes I've owned, the best by far in handling, shifting, comfort, power and overall confidence was a 1983 (I think) Suzuki GS650 GL with shaft drive. The thing was telepathic and understood everything I wanted to do before I did it. It was a Jedi bike sharing "the force" with me.