The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Sober Riding
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sober Riding This area is for those that would like to discuss riding and sobriety....or just sobriety

Active Threads
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,144
Views: 303,726
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,409
Views: 745,023
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 748
0 XR heads on XL?
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 90
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,636
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 42,175
Views: 6,535,915
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,717
Views: 235,117
0 Tires
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 861
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 202
0 IH steering stem
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 2
Views: 134
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 20
Views: 720
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: commando57
Replies: 144
Views: 29,758
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,114
Views: 748,723
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,857
Views: 277,299
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 244
Views: 75,343
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Kbetts
Replies: 820
Views: 149,079
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 792
Views: 49,189
0 New XL1200L from Oakland
Last Post: themadone
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 135
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,740
Views: 190,187
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 829
Views: 77,075
0 WTB Stock 4.3 gal Custom tank
Last Post: steveolds
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 48
0 Tire Size
Last Post: Civil War Harley
Replies: 2
Views: 98
0 Best Riding/Motorcycle Memes-Let's see 'em!
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 256
Views: 38,373
0 Mag wheel corrosion
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 118
0 Cheers from Germany
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 20
Views: 340
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 277
Views: 85,800
5 popping in and out of first gear
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 157
Views: 62,894
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: 83xls
Replies: 429
Views: 55,667
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,392
Views: 1,469,160
0 My 2002 Cafe Build
Last Post: 1904Sportster
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,222
More...
Members Birthdays
bobman, eagle101 (71), nemosengineer@yahoo.com (62), Callao (62), Dweezil (54), Dnew73, JimmyHBS (43), Ulv666 (42), 883ccXL (37), jmr1283 (35), dtschrum (31)
Tags
college, dad, sober, sobriety, straightedge

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
TJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura about
Default How The Broke-Ass Punk Bought a Harley

Hey all!

I recently joined the forum, after viewing it (many) times for help with repairs on my 1200. It wasn't until today that I scrolled down past the technical forums and found this one!

I'm 22 years old, and for reasons that are my own, I am straightedge. If you are unfamiliar with what that is, its worth a google search. I have never had a drinking/drug problem, and I am not involved in NA, AA, or any organization like it. I made this decision not as a result of my own self-destruction, but as a result of watching those around me destroy themselves. I first made the decision to live free of alcohol and mind-altering drugs at 15, and I've never regretted it.

College was interesting for me. I went from a kid in the punk scene, where booze and drugs were present, but 'we're all here for the band' to an environment where alcohol was the elephant in the room. I had never felt any real pressure to drink until the college parties. Without the booze, there really isn't any reason to go to a college party. You talk to some people, meet some girls, and then an hour into the night when everybody is a sloppy mess you sit there and wonder- "what can I do other than drink that will make this fun?". I eventually found a pretty awesome group of local punkers to kick it with.

I had always wanted to ride. Its in my blood. Unfortunately, motorcycling seemed all but unattainable on my meager collegiate budget. And it was.

But halfway through my sophomore year, I had an idea. Every time my roommates would go out drinking, I'd set aside a little money. I'd try to approximate the average amount one of them would spend on booze, but I'd always set something aside. The same goes for weed and other recreationals. I continued this until graduation. You all see where this is going...

After graduation, I got a shitty job doing some shitty work for shitty pay (like everyone with less than a Masters does these days). I started doing some research...

Four months after graduation, I found my Sporty. Craigslist. Decent shape, decent price. Dad (+~35yrs riding experience, several custom builds/restorations) and I got in the truck, checked her out, and brought her home the next day! He and I have been alternating between wrenching and riding for about a year now (which I totally expected to have to do, buying a 15 year old Harley). Its been a wonderful experience for both of us.

And all of this, I owe to my sobriety. Were it not for that, I wouldn't be on this forum. I wouldn't have a bike. And if that's all I have now that I wouldn't if I drank, I'd consider myself lucky.

I'm always looking for other straightedge riders! Does anybody know of a sXe MC/RC?

X's always win!
TJ
Old 5th April 2014
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the XLForum, from Oklahoma.
Old 5th April 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C 2005
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
MaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of lightMaNickles is a glorious beacon of light

great for you man this site have a would of info do a search before asking "duh" questions otherwise enjoy and learn a couple of things on the way.
Old 5th April 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
HD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond reputeHD_XL rider has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent man!!
So let's see a pic of that scoot!
Old 5th April 2014
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTCUI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Keep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura aboutKeep it running has a spectacular aura about

Cool, as they say, without pics it didn't happen...
Oh, and welcome.
Old 5th April 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

We all get here different ways. Enjoy the ride and welcome.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 5th April 2014
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: KDX 200
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
jimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to beholdjimmydee is a splendid one to behold

If I had all the money I spent drinking before I quit I could have 2 of every Harley ever made. Welcome
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 2006 XL1200C- Hammer Perf. 1250 kit w/ Crush ported heads, 1.900 intake valves, 1.615 exhaust valves, 560 cams, 30 deg. reverse dome pistons, Mikuni HSR45, SE heavy Breather, Hammer billet manifold, TC88A ignition, Samson Powerflow 3, Ricor vibranators, Superbrace, Avon air grips, Ricor shocks, Killer map by Rico, Michelin Commander II s., Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridges. Oil leak.
Old 5th April 2014
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Ultra Limited
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
chris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the roughchris horne is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from England.
Old 5th April 2014
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all1990Evo is a name known to all

Welcome and congrats on your bike!

I'm 42 years old now but I was an '80s teen and into the punk scene in Southern Cali back then, and there were 'straightedge' punks then too. I never really understood it - since I never had a problem with the abuse but I suppose they had reasons.

You can pin whatever ideal you want on it and brag how you saved your money. You could have saved money some other way if you'd thought of that too. You could have done it for Jesus, or quit smoking, or the swear jar or whatever. It's all good.

I'm sorry you have such personal issues with substance and/or alcohol abuse to the point where you have to make a point to label yourself and advertise your position on such matters right from the get-go. You can have a stance and an opinion without making it the platform on which your whole personality rests, hell I've got a few myself but get to know me and you'll learn who I am.

Is it not possible to just be a non-drinker without waving a flag around about it? I ride with all types of grown people who may or may not drink, I don't care because the subject never came up because we were not drinking wile riding- obviously. Responsible grown people don't do that, and that's what it's all about for me- Personal responsibility.

Personally, I'm pretty happy that I've always been able to enjoy my vices in moderation...

Now post a pic of that bike already.
Old 5th April 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
TJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura aboutTJXL has a spectacular aura about

Why does anyone fly any flag? Or pin any label on themselves?
Community, solidarity, and identification.
I hang out in bars all the time. I don't mind being around people who partake in recreationals. Its just when thats all they do, I get bored.

Now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

Here she is as I bought her.

And here she is after new bars, sneakers, a king tank, and a coat of paint. Not bad, for rustoleum!

Next, Supertrapp 2:1