The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Sober Riding
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sober Riding This area is for those that would like to discuss riding and sobriety....or just sobriety

Active Threads
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9,407
Views: 1,472,905
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 138
Views: 9,685
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: rickthrash99
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 638
0 which cylinder hone
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 80
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: thecarfarmer
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 307
0 User Name, Is it possible to change?
Last Post: KRTT Clone
Replies: 2
Views: 49
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: joes95bobber
Replies: 15
Views: 264
0 starter block off plate
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Views: 265
0 over drive
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 261
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Bwf347
Views: 3,409
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 3,028
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 814
Views: 52,383
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 572
Views: 159,869
0 ***DK Custom - Highway Peg Mounting Options***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 39
Views: 8,574
0 SERIOUS 1275 engine issues!! PLEASE HELP!!
Last Post: JoelDeb89
Replies: 30
Views: 588
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 1,010
Views: 301,450
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 1,062
Views: 281,421
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Trailhawk750
Replies: 977
Views: 216,995
0 DK Custom Bullet Visor Style Halogen Headlight Relocation Kits
Replies: 36
Views: 11,881
0 beautiful and fashion female mechanical creature
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 301
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: ccmman
Replies: 12
Views: 377
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: decman
Replies: 10,417
Views: 748,118
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: Popgadget
Replies: 14
Views: 516
0 Really Hard to start XL1200 C
Last Post: AECS
Replies: 4
Views: 179
0 A Day in the Life...
Replies: 600
Views: 58,876
0 New England 2018
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 324
Views: 18,544
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: khav
Replies: 18
Views: 346
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time-Free Shipping & International Savings***
Replies: 8
Views: 427
14 Iconic Parts that say it's a Harley!
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 11
Views: 566
0 VM38-9 Branch Backing Plate Tabs
Last Post: kmul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 156
More...
Members Birthdays
kartooo (65), shotgun willy (49), jace (43), crosscut (41), 99fireredls1 (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom 95th anniv.
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
kevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the roughkevinhd1200 is a jewel in the rough

sk883,

I really hope you watched and listened to hd1918's video he posted. He is right in everything he said. You may not be drinking and driving, but you are aware that the alcohol you are drinking is directly effecting your life, and your family's life in a negative way. I hope you find some help, because you do have a problem. I can't preach though. I myself have had my problems with alcohol, and was in denial for 23years. I had physically hurt people from my consumption of alcohol, and did hurt people emotionally, and psychologically. I thank god everyday that I never killed anyone or hit anyone from drinking and driving. I was arrested four times from drinking alcohol. Twice for fighting, that would have never have happened if I wasn't drunk, and twice for drinking and driving. I was only convicted of DUI once, because I had an awsome lawyer for the first.

After the conviction on the second DUI, I decided alcohol was not for me, and that I did indeed had a problem. It cost me a lot of money (thousands) and countless hours of my time for the DUI. It was then I decided not to drink anymore, and it has now been five years since I have had a drink. You would think I would have avoided all of this hassle, because I was a bouncer at a bar for 12 years and had to babysit all of these stinking drunks every weekend. Do yourself a favor. Go to a bar on a Friday or Saturday night, don't drink, and watch all of the really drunk people in the bar. Ask yourself if the drunks are funny, cool, or just idiots? This is how you were the night you blacked out. My guess you were acting like an asshole.

No one likes, or wants to be an asshole. So make the right decision. Support your family, apologize to your brothers, and family, and decide to get some help, or honestly quite cold turkey, but don't touch another drop of alcohol, because you do have a problem. I will say for me the last five sober years of my life have been a lot better. Some people can drink alcohol their wholle life and not have any issues. Some cannot. Honestly ask youself what catagory you fit into and make a decision. -Good luck.
In whatever comes our way..... -Moose from the Hell's Beerguts MC
Old 22nd November 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
POUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the rough

From your posts I think you are being a bit dramatic! You are coming to a point in life that most have. You are no longer going to be " one of the boys" just husband and dad!
Dont know how old you are or your friends but they will come to this point as well when/if they get married and have kid(s).
Old 22nd November 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
fireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud offireman5 has much to be proud of

I cant give any better advice than you have already heard. I'v been locked up 5 times and they were all alcohol related, 2 DUI's. Its only by the grace of God i did not kill myself or worse someone else. It did not matter if i had a 6 pack or a keg i could not stop till it was all gone. It has taken 10 years of not drinking to get to the point that i can now have a beer and stop at 1 or 2 some people never get to that point, its all or none. I wish you the BEST in your effort to take control of this problem.
Old 22nd November 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
dieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura aboutdieseldoc has a spectacular aura about

It is a simple choice. Don't drink. There are 2 kinds of poeple in this world....LEADERS AND FOLLOWERS. What are you?
Old 22nd November 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
Well you obviously know what the problem is. The solution is to change friends. Not easy but. from my experience, a necessity. You need to choose, your family or your friends. You'll never stop drinking as long as you keep the same buddies that you drink with.
I have to respectfully disagree with this, you can't run and hide from your addictions, it is possible to keep friends and change your habits.
I have done this.

Each one of us is responsible for our own actions.
Old 22nd November 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
frenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud offrenchandy has much to be proud of

just a thought
maybe you have a bunch of stuff going on in your life right now.
The booze will always bring it to a head.
The pressure we are under now to support our families is enormous and no one cares for the little guy in the street trying to hold down two jobs to make it pay.
Sounds like your mates all care for you and you need to find some comfort in your family.
Just my thoughts
Old 22nd November 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
dino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the rough

it is a progressive sickness. Deal with it now or deal with it after you lose your wife, kids, and the rest of your family members. Not to even mention drinking while riding a bike.
It's your life, you know what you have to do (which is way better then most in your shoes) Don't wait.....
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd November 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
derailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to all

Listen to the words of those who have been through it, and even those who go through it everyday. As powerful a disease as alcoholism is, the reasoning to address the problem is simple: If it affects my life adversely, and I still continue to do it, it's a problem. I can't preach about it. Been an alcoholic most of my life, quit for 4 great years, then in a weak moment started where I'd left off. I never drink and drive, and because of that, have just become more reclusive. You do have to quit for yourself, but sometimes just starting to quit for other important people is enough to get the ball rolling. I lost my family, friends, and girlfriend to it, have no children, and can't find reason enough for myself. Trust me, you don't wanna be here in another 10 years.
Old 26th November 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200xlc rigid
WhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really nice

Quitting isn't an easy thing to do, especially alone.

Sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom before anyone realizes they need to quit.

What you can see now, and what you know, you're miles ahead of many. You have a chance now to quit before you wreck your whole life and loose everything.

Your family will forgive you, and rest assured your wife will support you. She knows this isn't "You".

I made my families life hell for over a decade doing this stupid stuff. Right now, when I look back I would give my life blood to take back everything.
James 3:13
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
Old 26th November 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. sk883, you already know what it costs you when you drink. You can figure out what it will cost you if you continue to drink to the point of not remembering. As one who has been there done that, I suggest you take inventory of what you have. If that is too much to loose, then you need to change your style. If you and your buddies are regularly staying out past closing time, a DUI is the least that will happen.
There are many ways to throttle back, and many ways to quit altogether.
Only you can decide.