The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Hello from Holland
Last Post: Tonimacaroni
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 2
0 Late XLCH front end - any good?
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 155
0 WTD: XL1200S SE Ignition module
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 371
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 23,006
Views: 2,343,699
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18,314
Views: 1,087,968
0 Reassemble engine
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Repainted my bike
Replies: 28
Views: 1,366
0 add oil and ride
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4
Views: 313
0 The SPORTSTER car?
Views: 205
0 primary register screw
Replies: 4
Views: 136
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 337
Views: 85,582
0 Most common rattle locations?
Replies: 5
Views: 132
0 Halloween 1250 Conversion
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 7
Views: 143
0 Strengthening 73 rear shock structure
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 10
Views: 284
0 One More Ohio Meet & Eat?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 24
Views: 1,233
0 Adjustable Levers / Mueller Power CLutch
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 71
0 Thread pitch for 91 front engine mount bolts.
Last Post: wedge
Views: 110
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 66
Views: 15,467
0 extra hole in neck web
Last Post: Gold Member
Views: 245
0 91 883 sporty died while riding, will not crank.
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 20
Views: 541
0 Do you Run a Fuel Filter?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 5,808
0 Who is the top hd engine builder in southh fkorida?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 67
0 Expert brothers help! Moto iron springer install on bone stock 2001xl
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 95
0 New EU rules?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 14
Views: 561
0 Points Assembly - Circuit Breaker Cam and Alignment Pins
Replies: 9
Views: 392
0 '66 XLCH Running Pig Rich
Replies: 40
Views: 2,236
0 Oil leak
Replies: 38
Views: 1,905
0 'Sportster poster
Last Post: decman
Views: 204
0 XLFORUM quit smoking thread
Last Post: loki03xlh
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 642
Views: 119,280
0 stumble
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 510
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (76), SDREDD (59), pig (57), BonRu (55), cbass (47), ssm7530 (45), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2020
Biker

awright2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grips/bars pinching wires

So, my bike was all together and running, but I noticed I must of broke my front brake switch, I always had problems with the right hand control Deutsh connector, so I figure buy a whole new chrome switch kit and finally fix that problem for good. Anyway, got the new switches and got things wired with new connectors. But when attaching the front brake I kept pinching the wires a bit and finally looked at how things were supposed to be routed.

So it looks like my grips might be like half an inch too short for the bars indention for the wire routing I think. Before I was probably pinching them, but the wires kind of lined up nicely where things looked tight. The new wires aren't quite as cooperative

Notice the bar indention, and the wires come out from the bottom on the housing, and should go up into the indent, but are instead being pinched by the brake clamp

https://i.imgur.com/T7VQehr.jpg

This is just my grips I have currently, some american iron horse ones, originally had some knurled chrome ones (harley I think) but after my crash a long time ago I just picked up these iron horse ones from ebay or some such, dont quite remember

https://i.imgur.com/NFY0WYW.jpg

So what do you guys think is the cause here, are the grips too short? The indention on the bars in the wrong place? The clamp missing some wire routing hole?

My plan of action is to grind out the clamp some to make a channel for the wiring, but figured if I can determine the real problem and fix it realtively easily maybe I should hold off on grinding so quick
Old 8th September 2020
Air-cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this sounds a little dumb, but you could always cut a 1/4"-3/8" off the ends of the bars to get the indents where you want them.
Old 8th September 2020
Biker

Hmm, I guess I could get a pipe cutter or a metal saw and take a bit off the ends, would have to mess with the clutch side too I suppose to make things even, but it surprises me that the bars are a bit short. I figure grip size is pretty standardized, I measured up to the switch housing with some calipers and got 123mm, a little extra is there for the throttle/idle cable ferrules, so I'm guessing it's the standard 130mm length one inch diameter
Old 8th September 2020
Air-cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you can get longer grips? It all depends on what brand the 1" bars are and what year they came from. Filing a slot in the switch housing is the simplest way but you really don't use the indents then.
Old 8th September 2020
Biker

I just picked up some new drag bars from J&P cycles for $30, which are cheaper than grips for some reason, I'll see if those work out with the grips I have, if not I'll start cutting / grinding on things. Hopefully I can get the clutch grip off without destroying it

These bars were on the bike when I bought it, so not too sure what the story is with them, but the dimples being in the wrong spot does explain quite a bit with the trouble I've always had getting them together over the years
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Got the new bars, figure might as well put new grips on there too, dimples look like they are in the right spot, the clutch side seemed like it was a bit too far from the dimple, but went together okay (I blame the after market chrome switch housing)

Get everything together and then I noticed that I must of destroyed my old handlebar bushings (probably been there since 1999) a bit of swing when the bars go left and right. So I look into how much those bushings cost and how to change them, not too bad really, $30 and some large bolts under the triple tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cRTLsoyS20

My bushings were completely dead, crumbled like cornbread, no rubber flexibility left at all. I must of crumbled it some ripping off the clutch side grip on the old bars. But I have some new ones on the way, and also a new front brake line as the new bars are slightly wider and the existing line seems a little tight

So the plan was to fix the sportster up, ride it for a bit, and sell it. Instead of buying a new bike. -- What ended up happening is I started to fix it up, bought a new bike, and am now continuing to fix it up before eventually selling it for probably slightly more than I paid in parts so far

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm at about $1,670 in parts and paid $5000 for the bike in 2008 or so, will be lucky to sell it for between $4,000-$3,500

But whichever 20 something year old kid eventually buys this bike will be very happy with it