The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 NOS cases
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 328
0 Dellorto PHM38 Parts Sources - Intake Rubber, Throttle Cable
Last Post: Yellowstone Kelly
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 116
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 168
Views: 62,760
0 Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 16,368
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 559
0 900 clutch in a 1000 engine Strociek
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 528
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 25,442
Views: 1,488,468
0 72 ih stroker advise needed
Replies: 6
Views: 179
0 Acceptable Voltage Drop-Starter Circuit
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 1,643
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 4,000
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,284
Views: 382,068
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,434
Views: 8,844,734
0 Strociek Project Help Needed
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,197
0 WTB S&S super B parts
Last Post: bretton
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 136
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: gl90hog
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 457
0 North central Mass
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 195
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 363
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Buells)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Views: 14,991
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (XRs)
Views: 9,758
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Views: 81,823
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Views: 50,019
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Replies: 3
Views: 86,862
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Replies: 10
Views: 287,874
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Replies: 0
Views: 78
0 BEWARE Of SCAMMERS!
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Views: 100
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,944
Views: 3,869,036
0 Showa 54000088 Shocks
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Views: 67
0 1100 bathtub heads on a 883?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Views: 103
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Replies: 24
Views: 1,144
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 75
Views: 14,198
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
FourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really niceFourCams is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan RoachCoach View Post
...and neither does the primary if you use one of the vented plugs in the fluid fill hole.
Post-'76 IHs did fine too with just the hollow breather-type bolt added to them.
The primary/trans vent is a separate issue. I was referring to the negative pressure in the crankcase.

Another thing that comes to mind when thinking about the oil transfer valve design is that it draws fresh air across the crankcase. I would imagine that if you have blow-by gasses it would help evacuate them and there would be less oil contamination.
Old 17th October 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 48
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
DirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant future

so, is it safe to say that if you have a fuctional transfer valve, that you must use the same oil in both the primary and the engine? the reason i ask is my dad has a 75 and has been running trans formula+ for ever. does that much oil really even transfer. dont want to make this an oil debate, just want to know how much they really mix. thanks, cory.
Old 17th October 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

The oil usually goes from the engine to the primary and not the other way around so run whatever you want in the primary.
Old 17th October 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: sold XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: VRSCR + BMW R1200C
meanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished roadmeanmechanic is on a distinguished road

My indie told me, with his 40+ years experience, if you have a transfer valve you cannot run anything but the oil you run in the engine. You do not want to get Formula+ in the engine oil system.
Old 17th October 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

There is a scientific answer to this question and many many many opinions, all based on some measure of expertise. Some claim the nn years of experience, others similar years of experience working in oil analysis labs. Some are "mere" personal opinions like, jeeze man you could put Mazoilla in there and not have problems. Then there is the do what is in the FM crowd, and those who say that is old info and does not apply to modern oils.

Is this a reasonable summary?

There is no correct answer. Choose your favorite measure of expertise and do what they say.

I would run the same in both for the models with the transfer valve, and HD Formula+ for the newer ones.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 17th October 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all

The crankcase vacuum, created by the up travel of the pistons is relieved by drawing air from the primary chain case compartment, via the transfer valve into the crankcase. This would create a vacuum in the primary compartment but due to the small vent hole (vented to atmosphere) in the primary fill plug, air is pulled into the primary compartment, thereby relieving any vacuum that could have built up.

So you can see how oil vapors from the primary case would migrate into the engine oil in this manner. And this is why it is important to run an oil in the primary that is compatible with the engine oil.
Old 17th October 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCR
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati 900ss
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
cafe carl is on a distinguished roadcafe carl is on a distinguished road

Primary vent? I have got a hole in the plug but I can't believe my clutch cable is airtight.
Old 17th October 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe carl View Post
Primary vent? I have got a hole in the plug but I can't believe my clutch cable is airtight.
This is true, but it won't matter much anyway if you've got a '77 because you don't have an oil transfer valve.
Old 18th October 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 48
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
DirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant futureDirtyCory has a brilliant future

thanks guys.
Old 7th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
There is a scientific answer to this question and many many many opinions, all based on some measure of expertise. Some claim the nn years of experience, others similar years of experience working in oil analysis labs. Some are "mere" personal opinions like, jeeze man you could put Mazoilla in there and not have problems. Then there is the do what is in the FM crowd, and those who say that is old info and does not apply to modern oils.

Is this a reasonable summary?

There is no correct answer. Choose your favorite measure of expertise and do what they say.

I would run the same in both for the models with the transfer valve, and HD Formula+ for the newer ones.

scientific answer you want?
im ur huckleberry.

the purpose of the transfer valve is to keep your garage floor clean.

its an oil control device. to control the oil in order to keep it in your bike.

im being vague for a reason- to help you keep an open mind.
there is so much speculation- some times the myth becomes the reality. dont take me wrong here, im not being elitist.

im sharing my experience so it wont get lost as i get more feeble. no other reason. i seem to have collected a decent stash of usable every day insights. i dont own that. we do. i amassed it while gettin paid to learn it.
paid by other ironhead owners.
you guys.

the valve is a part of a bigger system. a system that we often break down into its components. then we deal with the 'target component'. often losing sight of the big picture. its our nature as mechanical guys. pin point the prob then bring the hammers of hell to bear on it.

if we can let go of that instinct for a moment this will make perfect sense.
so you want to think big picture here.

i read a million posts about this little part.

from those posts heres what we know:
1) fact: if you blow thru the valve it only allows flow from primary to engine. fiction: that means its a one way check valve. bad assumption. it allows flow one way only when pressure is different one side of valve to other. see #2.
2) fact: when taken apart carefully as not to bend the triangular reed we find no spring that 'checks' the valve when pressure differential is absent. so its allowed to 'leak' in state of equallibrium. fiction: theres some thing missing from this valve. thats why its not checking and allowing leaking oil into my primary as i found when i left the pri cover off an saw the trail of oil from the valve.

if you dismiss the assumptions and stick with what we can prove this truth emerges- valve is one way when engine running. but not when engine is static. then its relaxed. and oil leaks from motor thru it.

3) fact: oil is leakin out of your valve when primary cover is off. its leakin when primary cover is on too. fiction: theres only supposed to be a small amount of oil in the motor so theres sumtin else wrong too. what could that be? ahah its gotta be the check vavle in the oil pump leakin. and this is the spot you go off course chasing ghosts.

because when your motor is not running oil is leaking into before it even gets to the check valve.

you are told to inspect the check valve in response to any noticeable change that increases oil exiting thru breather tube. because a check that leaks will shorten the time it takes to fill motor enuff to puke.

even a perfect sealed check cant stop oil thats gettin in thru a different path.

if we slow down now and think we get to this- in order for the pump check to leak, oil has to get to the tank side of pump check. in order to get there its gotta sneak past gear clearance in pump. whitch it obviously does. but is the only place this errant oil can go? hell no. on way to check it finds clearance here

where the breather valve fits thru the upper oil pump housing.

where it leaks into the space between breather sleeve and housing exiting at the first place it can. the bottom of slot in upper housing.
here

now its filling the breather passage that leads to crank case. this passage is located lower than the floor of cam chest.

so oil is now filling the crankcase not the cam chest. the factory made sure that it happened like this. they wanted this unchecked oil to stay out of the cam chest. so your bike is less likely to puke.

they didnt want the oil to just sit in the case sump either. because it would just end up in the cam case soon after bike was started.

they wanted to somehow 'transfer' it to a reservoir. allowing it to reenter engine in a controlled volume that the return pump could handle without being drowned. (now is the correct time for ahah)

so--
look at the position of valve compared to breather passage. its about even.

go back to 1st case pic. note that the floor of camchest is about even to bottom of pinion race.
now look at the position of breather passage in regards to floor of cam chest. chest floor is higher, breather passage lower. crap flows downstream.

so oil flowing unchecked into pump from oil supply line leaks clear thru engine into primary before it can start to fill cam chest. on primary side though theres plenty of room to fill with the errant oil. .

the transfer valve 'transfers' "pre pump check" oil leakage out of the motor and into the primary.

where it reenters engine on startup in a controlled volume that the return pump could handle without being drowned

in other words it 'transfers' it back to engine when bike starts.

this is the improvement refined from the 52-54 siphon tube that used the same valve guts.

it does makes perfect sense dont it?

and now given some thought you will see why the valves arent used on the racers.

the 77 style oil system did away with the unchecked supply leakage. so there is no reason to 'transfer' what isnt there.

its name is absolutely 100% correct its the transfer valve.

are any of you still holding on to the idea theses are simple bikes?
are any of you thinking the factory 'didnt get it right' with this part?

i hope not.

after all im not teaching this to you. it was you guys i learned it from.

big picture my friends, keep an eye on the big picture.