The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 52,483
Views: 8,857,715
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,815
Views: 958,937
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 33,031
Views: 3,890,317
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12,612
Views: 2,984,322
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9,084
Views: 2,125,064
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25,529
Views: 1,492,756
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,453
Views: 264,698
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 2,035
0 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 348
Views: 69,506
0 Had to wait for the snow to fall to pick up my 73
Last Post: T4halo
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 84
0 never mind
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 302
Views: 57,550
0 Selling my '95 883 H in Phoenix AZ - $1,750 XLF pricing before it goes on CL
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 Sportster Builds
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 84
0 Video - What Comparison Dyno Charts Would YOU Like to See?
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 520
Views: 72,825
0 Food porn
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,557
Views: 608,683
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,713
Views: 431,116
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Last Post: Congojack
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 1,702
0 Video - Why Tire PSI Should Be Checked Often!
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 172
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: CrustyTubs
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 288,074
0 Tachometer Suggestions
Last Post: BigMek
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 84
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 4,493
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 77
Views: 5,169
10 1983 XR 1000 Starting Issues.
Last Post: CT XR rider
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 339
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 571
Views: 59,905
0 72 ih stroker advise needed
Last Post: rocketnorton
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 812
0 Clutch squeal ? Bad throwout bearing ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 20,749
0 Acceptable Voltage Drop-Starter Circuit
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 2,156
0 1968 ex barn dweller thread
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 205
Views: 21,149
0 Starter gaskets 74 XLH1000
Last Post: Chuckthebeatertruck
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 200
More...
Members Birthdays
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 18th September 2021
RicThompson RicThompson is offline
Senior Chief Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 946
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: 111 Ironhorse Outlaw
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Reputation: 640139
RicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond reputeRicThompson has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I can't begin to remember how many years I used plastic milk crates to work on bikes. I have a floor jack now. An actual lift would be way too professional for me. Make me think I was employed again. lol
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 18th September 2021
Gold Member's Avatar
Gold Member Gold Member is offline
Flat Track Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 667
Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Reputation: 131839
Gold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud of
Default

Never even thought of milk crates. They're 12 in high though. I scavenged some cinder blocks from a dump a month ago. That will get me up 16" and be easier to go straight in with the trans while sitting down comfortably.

I bought some big screw eyes for the ceiling and next need some Harbor Freight tie straps to keep the bike from tipping off the blocks. The big jack I have lifts with 1/2" or so to spare, so that will work.

Right now the car is in the shop for the past week needing an A/C pump. I'd simply bypass it but they can't find a belt short enough. Just the pump alone is $850 for a hoopy Scion. A blown A/C pump clutch bearing will disable the car from even starting and make a loud as hell howl before it gives up. I could feel the vibration through the floorboards and steering wheel. When the bearing locks up it spins on the nose cone of the pump, wrecking it. It puts enough force on the belt to stall the motor.

My wife is really good about me spending money on the Sportster because she loves riding. It's me that is noogy about it.

Also need a new computer. A new artesian well pump would be nice. $3600. It still works but I don't feel we should rely on it at it's age. Probably will spend money on the bike before the well pump
__________________
Stop by my build thread:

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2076933


Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Three wheels move the bowels.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 19th September 2021
wedge's Avatar
wedge wedge is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,186
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
Reputation: 7870070
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Member View Post
Never even thought of milk crates. They're 12 in high though. I scavenged some cinder blocks from a dump a month ago. That will get me up 16" and be easier to go straight in with the trans while sitting down comfortably.

I bought some big screw eyes for the ceiling and next need some Harbor Freight tie straps to keep the bike from tipping off the blocks. The big jack I have lifts with 1/2" or so to spare, so that will work.

Right now the car is in the shop for the past week needing an A/C pump. I'd simply bypass it but they can't find a belt short enough. Just the pump alone is $850 for a hoopy Scion. A blown A/C pump clutch bearing will disable the car from even starting and make a loud as hell howl before it gives up. I could feel the vibration through the floorboards and steering wheel. When the bearing locks up it spins on the nose cone of the pump, wrecking it. It puts enough force on the belt to stall the motor.

My wife is really good about me spending money on the Sportster because she loves riding. It's me that is noogy about it.

Also need a new computer. A new artesian well pump would be nice. $3600. It still works but I don't feel we should rely on it at it's age. Probably will spend money on the bike before the well pump
I can't remember the last time I even saw a cinder block. Probably back in the early 50's. Nobody uses them these days because they break too easy compared to concrete blocks. Note: if you really do have cinder blocks, do not use them to support anything that you plan to get under because they will break and leave you pinned under the bike.
__________________
A Biker is not just any guy who rides... that's a motorist.
A guy that gets up and rides again after every crash... that's a Biker.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 21st September 2021
Gold Member's Avatar
Gold Member Gold Member is offline
Flat Track Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 667
Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Reputation: 131839
Gold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I can't remember the last time I even saw a cinder block. Probably back in the early 50's. Nobody uses them these days because they break too easy compared to concrete blocks. Note: if you really do have cinder blocks, do not use them to support anything that you plan to get under because they will break and leave you pinned under the bike.
Thanks I checked them. They are concrete. You can tell by weighing them. Cinder is 28 lbs and concrete is 40 lbs.

My Dad always called them cinder blocks growing up, so that's why I called them that.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 24th September 2021
wedge's Avatar
wedge wedge is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,186
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
Reputation: 7870070
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Member View Post
Thanks I checked them. They are concrete. You can tell by weighing them. Cinder is 28 lbs and concrete is 40 lbs.

My Dad always called them cinder blocks growing up, so that's why I called them that.
Yes, they were a dark specked charcoal gray color and very light (as a kid I liked carrying them better than concrete ones). Your dad was most likely around when they still existed. They were never structural, they were always for landscaping or building sheds for animals as I remember.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC