The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 8,436
0 Sundowner seat positioning
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,077
0 Looking at a 1200S
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 29
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,920
Views: 764,732
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 14,817
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,760
Views: 1,268,376
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 1,035
0 Sparkplugs & Sparkplug Wires
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 265
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,554
Views: 270,519
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 140
Views: 7,728
0 Fubar (Rear Cylinder Not Firing)
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 4
Views: 116
0 Splitting IH flywheels
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Replies: 21
Views: 646
0 Opinions - Spring plate REPLACE or REMOVE ???
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 49
Views: 5,323
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tincan
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,344
Views: 813,457
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 942
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,253
Views: 1,754,591
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Ted Town
Replies: 1,116
Views: 313,065
0 Lifting a low
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 886
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 359
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: rocketnorton
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 4,679
0 Scrambler, Dirtster, Dual Sport , Adventure Sportster picture thread
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 105
Views: 80,184
0 after conversions, do have oil consumption problems?
Last Post: xllent01
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 2,528
0 Zenith Bendix check valve
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 63
0 Skillz
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 289
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,397
Views: 309,610
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,343
Views: 195,349
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,291
Views: 510,864
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 4,543
0 Andrews PB+
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,479
0 Best seat for long rides
Last Post: jzink0883
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 26,995
More...
Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (61), MikeDelta (61), greven (59), bliynd (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Truckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of light
Default Clutch cable oil leak

I recently replaced the clutch cable on an 2001.....All was fine for a few hundred miles but now it leaks oil where the rubber outer cover is crimped into the fitting screwed into the case...Oil runs down the cable a bit and leaves puddle...With the usual "Harleys leak oil" comments...I cleaned it off and ran a bead of RTV...It's ok but will probably start leaking again...The cable was installed properly and not "man handled"...
It's a Drag Specialities branded cable...Are some cables better than others at not leaking or is this just bad luck?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Did you install the O ring before screwing the new cable ?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 (totaled)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1994
sportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
I recently replaced the clutch cable on an 2001.....All was fine for a few hundred miles but now it leaks oil where the rubber outer cover is crimped into the fitting screwed into the case...Oil runs down the cable a bit and leaves puddle...With the usual "Harleys leak oil" comments...I cleaned it off and ran a bead of RTV...It's ok but will probably start leaking again...The cable was installed properly and not "man handled"...
It's a Drag Specialities branded cable...Are some cables better than others at not leaking or is this just bad luck?
my 2003 did that for a while a few years ago...if I remember correctly I took the cover off and the outer cable needed to be "screwed" back into the fitting that goes into the primary.
I may have added some sealant on that connection... but I think mostly the outer cable sheath had moved away from being imbedded into metal fitting.
I was sure my cable was shot but was relieved it was probably caused from being "unscrewed" from doing regular oil changes and clutch adjustments.
Not a drop since,
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Truckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of lightTruckedup is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyone View Post
my 2003 did that for a while a few years ago...if I remember correctly I took the cover off and the outer cable needed to be "screwed" back into the fitting that goes into the primary.
I may have added some sealant on that connection... but I think mostly the outer cable sheath had moved away from being imbedded into metal fitting.
I was sure my cable was shot but was relieved it was probably caused from being "unscrewed" from doing regular oil changes and clutch adjustments.
Not a drop since,
Yes, it's not leaking where the fitting screws into primary cover...I'll try what you say, thanks
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
juzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond repute

If it leaks where the "rubbered" part of the sleeve goes into the metal one, you can solve it with one of those "self volcaniseing tape".
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Lone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond reputeLone Rider has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't by chance have over filled the primary, maybe? Just saying.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

One quart of oil in the primary....I thought the end fitting was crimped but it does screw off, but it was not loose....I put sealer on the sheath and screwed it in tight...The sheath got marked up a bit but not torn screwing the fitting off and on..I had a tight fitting piece of hose and more sealer that extends over part of the fitting and sheath.. I believe it's a solid hillbilly repair. Thanks guys