The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,363
Views: 1,095,239
0 Better Brakes
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,752
0 Are There Still Sober Riders On The Forum?
Last Post: Sasnak75
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 184
Views: 57,083
0 Opinions on Mallory unilite ignition
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 246
0 Hydrostatic fuel gauge
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 123
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18,940
Views: 1,124,347
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,396
Views: 2,291,326
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 48,964
Views: 7,942,346
0 Fork Brace worth the bucks???
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 25,592
0 Chasing a generator noise
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 441
0 Maxi fuse removal while runnng ..
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 739
0 S&s
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 176
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 24,412
Views: 2,496,277
0 Sifton cams on stock 74 XLCH
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 541
0 Installing jugs finally but another Q
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 365
0 Li/Ion battery in '03
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 2,141
0 Late-model stator on rigid-mount bike?
Last Post: Curbside
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 52
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,933
Views: 341,980
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,781
Views: 249,807
0 Which motorcycles do you wish you kept or would like to again own?
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 1,379
0 1968 ex barn dweller thread
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 783
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 6,403
0 Microsquirt?
Last Post: Curbside
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 196
0 Scrambler, Dirtster, Dual Sport , Adventure Sportster picture thread
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 91,774
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: exexpat93
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 3,884
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 4,305
Views: 646,229
14 It’s good to be back after 13 years...
Last Post: iBloke
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 696
0 Food porn
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2,154
Views: 439,451
0 fork oil change with Ricor intiminators
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 116
0 New HD lithium battery issues
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 10,767
More...
Members Birthdays
wlm (57), Greg81XLH (55), saylor01 (54), Alicia (52), latnyte (51), antonini (43)
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 29th November 2019
aswracing's Avatar
aswracing aswracing is offline
A Million Facts & Figures
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Famous Potatoes
Posts: 10,239
Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Reputation: 3057778
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens L View Post
Ok that makes sense and it could be real nice if you could messure it at some point, if i buy it before that i will text you with details.

when you say its wider, how much do you think approx. we are talking about ? do you think if i make litlle jig between the xb head space. that it would be possibly to cut weld and mill it to fit with som craftsmanship and the enjectors holes still being kept stock or are those maybe placed to wide ?
Y'know, I *think* we have an XR throttle body down at the shop. I'll be heading down there later for other reasons. If we have one, I'll measure it.

The XL's EFI manifold is 1/8" wider (.125") than a carb type manifold. This is because each manifold surface, on the heads, is milled down 1/16" as compared to carb type heads. XB heads are carb type heads, so they're not milled down like this.

We sell a carb manifold that's 1/8" wider than stock, for the express purpose of allowing EFI heads to be used with a carb.

In terms of adapting an XR manifold onto XB heads, far be it from me to say something can't be done. In fact, I'm sure it can be. But exactly what problems you'll have to solve, I'm not sure.
__________________
Click Here to Contact Me

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29th November 2019
aswracing's Avatar
aswracing aswracing is offline
A Million Facts & Figures
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Famous Potatoes
Posts: 10,239
Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Reputation: 3057778
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Ok, I can confirm that the XR uses the same manifold width as an EFI XL. I measured port-to-port with a caliper at the closest place and got identical results.

We also have an XB manifold on the shelf, and it's 1/8" narrower, measured the same way.

Studying the Buell parts books, I can see that the XB manifold I measured is a 2003-2007 version, part number VINP0803.1AAA which is the 49mm version for an XB12. In 2008, the part number changes to VINP0803.5AA, which applies to 2008-2010 models (the last year Buells were made). I don't however have one of those manifolds on hand to measure. However, it's width could not have changed, because the part numbers for the heads remained the same. All 2003-2008 XB's use the same heads.

Then in 2009, the part numbers for the XB heads change. So the 2009-2010 XB heads are different from the 2003-2008. But the manifold doesn't change, so they couldn't have changed the spacing. I believe the change to the heads was cosmetic only. 2003-2008 XB heads are silver and 2009-2010 XB heads are black.

Bottom line here is the XR manifold/throttle body is going to be too wide to go in between XB heads.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15th March 2020
Randy_rots Randy_rots is offline
Chief Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 458
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 softail frame&NOS
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1250 Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Reputation: 43588
Randy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
Buells never got the wider manifold spacing that was first introduced on EFI Sportsters in 2007. .
Yes they have That's why I was able to fit XR1200 heads successfully on my 2009 XB12 XT. Here are the XB 2008 & up P/N Rear: 16875-07A and front: 16872-07A.
These heads are using wider manifold flanges.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15th March 2020
aswracing's Avatar
aswracing aswracing is offline
A Million Facts & Figures
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Famous Potatoes
Posts: 10,239
Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Reputation: 3057778
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_rots View Post
Yes they have That's why I was able to fit XR1200 heads successfully on my 2009 XB12 XT. Here are the XB 2008 & up P/N Rear: 16875-07A and front: 16872-07A.
These heads are using wider manifold flanges.
Wider manifold spacing and wider manifold flanges are two different things.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15th March 2020
Randy_rots Randy_rots is offline
Chief Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby
Posts: 458
Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 softail frame&NOS
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1250 Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Reputation: 43588
Randy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to beholdRandy_rots is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
Wider manifold spacing and wider manifold flanges are two different things.
Maybe but I did not have any trouble to mount XB throttle body on XR1200 heads.
I sold my original heads but I have 2 brand new XB 08+ coming and I will take the measurements.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15th March 2020
aswracing's Avatar
aswracing aswracing is offline
A Million Facts & Figures
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Famous Potatoes
Posts: 10,239
Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Reputation: 3057778
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_rots View Post
Maybe but I did not have any trouble to mount XB throttle body on XR1200 heads.
I sold my original heads but I have 2 brand new XB 08+ coming and I will take the measurements.
Let me give the full story here, to give some context as to why the XB throttle body goes in between XR1200 heads.

Shortly after the EFI Sportsters came out in 2007, we noticed that a carb manifold didn't fit between EFI heads correctly, and some guys were having issues with the seals getting sucked in on decel when they used a carb with EFI heads.

There was some speculation here on the board that the angle of the manifold mating surface was different, but after making some measurements, we figured out that the angle was the same, but the surface had been milled down about 1/16", and the throttle body was 1/8" wider to match.

A change they made at the same time was the spread out manifold flanges, making the bolts much more accessible.

The Buell XB heads got the spread out manifold flanges at the same time. So there was some speculation that XB heads also got the manifold mating surfaces milled down.

We've made the measurements and we've found this is not the case. All XB heads are sized to use a carb-width type manifold. We've arrived at this conclusion after measuring heads and manifolds and throttle bodies. All the measurements point to the same conclusion: Buell XB heads didn't get their manifold mating surfaces milled down wider and don't use wide throttle bodies like the XL EFI bikes.

This conclusion is backed up by careful study of the parts books as well. For example, although the silver XB heads got a new part number in 2007 for the flange change, that new part number supersedes the old part number all the way back to the introduction of the XB in 2003. It also applies to silver head XB models in 2008. So it's the same head from 2003 through 2008 (you get two free flanges when you buy a set, by the way ... this allows them to be used as a service replacement on 2003-2006 XB's).

XB heads got a new part number in 2009, but that was for the color change to black. And the throttle body part number did not change between 2008 and 2009, which shows that the black heads retained the same manifold mating surfaces.

Anyway, the XR1200 heads, which came out in 2008, followed the XL heads. The mating surfaces are milled down 1/16" and the XR1200 throttle body is 1/8" wider than a carb type manifold to match.

So when you put an XB throttle body onto XR1200 heads, you're using a throttle body that's carb type width (i.e narrower) on heads that have their surfaces milled down 1/16" each (i.e. wider). So it fits in between the XR1200 heads with ease. You just have a bigger gap to the heads than ideal.

Watch the intake seals on decel, some guys have trouble with them getting sucked in when they put carb manifolds on EFI XL heads. It's the whole reason we came out with wider carb manifolds, so that guys can reliably use carbs with EFI heads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC