The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 548
0 who rides with a Flyscreen (or similar) AND an open face helmet?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 17
0 883 cc >> 1200 cc big bore conversion
Last Post: lovevoodoo
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 73
0 Mac exhaust
Last Post: Maxdog2
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,743
Views: 826,772
0 New member
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 36
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: HDCUSTMBUILD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6,530
Views: 864,463
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2,671
Views: 365,973
0 6 speed
Replies: 8
Views: 157
0 Brake pedal adjustment on 09 Custom
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 7
Views: 128
0 Tools
Replies: 12
Views: 132
0 Plastic Printing - A R&D Short-Cut
Replies: 14
Views: 505
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,681
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Replies: 302
Views: 84,523
0 forged pistons?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 14
Views: 451
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 264
Views: 69,453
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 15,510
Views: 1,496,855
0 IH rearsets and giant stud
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 35
Views: 2,467
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: dewjantim
Replies: 449
Views: 89,847
0 1250 break in map for tc88a
Last Post: npaisnel
Replies: 10
Views: 558
0 TC88A EEPROM or FLASH
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 252
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 70
Views: 10,031
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Replies: 44
Views: 1,782
0 Power outlet
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 223
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 16
Views: 747
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 4
Views: 155
0 Harley Davidson Street 750 and Street 500/New Liquid-Cooled Revolution X Engines
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 1,220
Views: 173,520
0 2005 xl883 to Hammer Perf. 1275 timing questions
Replies: 40
Views: 1,149
0 8th Air Force memorials in the UK
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 249
Views: 33,287
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,033
Views: 297,761
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

All Right, You Birdbrains

I’m sitting at the table in the dining room beside the back door, drinking my morning coffee and just trying to wake up. I’m not trying too hard, to be honest. I didn’t sleep that well and Titan woke me up early wanting to go out. When I refused to get up, he went and sat in front of the gate and whined. After listening to him for half an hour, I got up and let him out, but then, I was awake and it was so close to time to get up that I didn’t go back to sleep.

Anyhow, for two days in a row, birds have tried to come into the house while I was sitting here. Yesterday, it was a black and white bird that I think is an Australian Magpie. It sat on the post at the top of the stairs and stared at me for a while. Long enough that I was able to take his picture. Maybe he was just being vain and wanted to be a show-off because once I took his picture, he flew away.

A short while ago, a different bird wanted to come in. This one was colored differently and wasn’t just posing for a photo. When he realized I was right there and wasn’t going to move, he flew around the side of the house and came in through the office window. I was hearing funny thumps and when I went to investigate, I saw him bounce off the glass, then he found the bottom was open and he could escape that way and proceeded to do just that.

Anyhow, it was an unusual enough event that I thought I’d write about it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if that second one was an immature or perhaps a female?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

Your friend must feed them? Or they steal the dogs biscuits?
I think they might be two different types of butcher bird. The second photo is hard to tell though. The first photo I’m pretty sure is a pied butcher bird, magpies are little bigger and have white on the back of the neck and sing a beautiful song.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Either way they look like they’d be good pan fried with some gravy, eh?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I guess if you are really hungry haha you would need a few to get a decent feed. It would be easier catching a cassowary or emu, they can’t fly and are a lot bigger.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go:

Sponsored Links
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one thinking what happened to big Bird?
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Pretty obvious isn’t it?
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ron Barr

Last night, around 5:30, Melia got a call from Honiara that Ron was sick and in the hospital. The person from the company Ron worked for said they’d call back in an hour. They never did. This morning, Melia called the company and discovered that Ron died last night. The person on the phone said that they tried repeatedly to call last night, but nobody answered. While my instinct is to say, “Bullshit”, it’s quite possibly true. Phone service there is less than optimum.

Needless to say, Melia is a basket case. She’s been on the phone with relatives all morning and is alternating between tears and being rational. She’s dealing with it the best way that she can.

I don’t know what I’m doing. My feelings are all over the place. I go from pissed off because it might have been preventable to remembering the good times and the bond that we shared. Ron and I used to refer to ourselves as brothers. Ron pissed me off at times, but we were always friends. If not for Ron, I wouldn’t have seen as much of this crazy planet as I have. Ron and I gave each other motorcycles and we helped each other out when we could. We once walked the streets of Cairns for two hours in the rain yelling at each other at the top of our lungs. We also once stayed up until the wee hours of the morning examining textbooks. His were on Aircraft engines while mine were on Diesel engines and Heavy Construction equipment. When my first marriage ended, Ron set me up with a job where I had to be smart and resourceful and had to work 16 hours a day, seven days a week. I was a complete basket case, mentally and emotionally and having a job that was that demanding forced me to focus on what I was doing. I didn’t have time to become nuts.

It was Ron, Melia and I who traveled around the United States together in 1981. That was the trip I remember best. It was also Ron and Melia and I who rode from Byron Bay to Cairns in 1994, then the three of us rode to Launceston, Tasmania for the 8th Australian HOG Rally in 1997.

Ron, Melia and I were as close as could be possible; now Ron’s gone.

I guess that I’m glad that he died while I’m here in Australia. If I had been back in Cincinnati, I’d be buying a plane ticket to be here. Melia had been discussing when he was coming home to Australia last Thursday. He was going to set things up so he would be here before I left to go home. When I was here four years ago, Ron and I hadn’t gotten along as well as I would have liked. I was really hoping that we could have gotten past that; I honestly believe that was going to happen.

Ron was unique. I’ll never have another friend like him. I’m sorry that he’s gone and I’ll miss him for a very long time.

Godspeed, brother Ron. You were loved.