The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 210
0 Fact or fiction?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,136
0 77 XLH Starting issues no needle bearing in primary?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 108
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,615
Views: 816,593
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,367
Views: 174,638
0 supply oil line seeping
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 324
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 6
Views: 144
0 Primary Cover Starter Shaft Needle Bearing
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 6
Views: 1,691
0 oil return for stroker
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 75
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,786
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,698
Views: 7,222,028
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,364
Views: 1,475,468
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,461
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,443
Views: 1,838,501
0 Holiday sale on 1250 kits through 12/31! $495 any kit big fin or small!
Last Post: aswracing
Replies: 0
Views: 36
0 2002 Sporty backfire through carb
Last Post: budoka
Replies: 20
Views: 586
0 Selling a complete bike vs parting out
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 128
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 965
Views: 126,746
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: Lukidj
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 93
Views: 8,349
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 128
Views: 31,042
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Replies: 2
Views: 80
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,656
Views: 359,332
0 stress killer
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 372
Views: 66,264
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 175
Views: 13,871
0 hi all
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 300
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 104
Views: 12,794
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 898
Views: 40,788
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 2,951
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 912
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 61
More...
Members Birthdays
Mr. Lynn (73), dentat2 (49), OWNED13 (46), knolan.smith (41), Malicious44 (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the gauges around have a "green zone" a "yellow zone" and a "red zone".

But at the top they will have percentages which will go from 100 per cent down to 0 Per cent. Most of the "tired engines" I see run around 0-30 per cent. But they are really tired engines. I aim for 5 per cent or less with my race engines. 10 is good for a street engine.

Tell me the procedure you used, especially where you calibrated (zeroed) the gauge.
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the piston needs to be at / near TDC for testing as Ferrous Head mentioned.
It takes less air to fill the cylinder for testing.
But others have had success with the pushrods out. As always, there are more ways to skin a cat.
But unless you are use to these tests, it's probably best to keep the piston up.
There will always be a certain amount of air that will leak past the rings even on a fresh engine.
You can simply induce air on a slow rate into the plug hole and stick a length of hose into your ear and the other end at various places, carb, head, exhaust... timing plug hole (with the plug removed).
You can remove the rocker box and place the hose around the valve stems.

Here are the Sportsterpedia pages on;

Compression testing
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...:ref:svcproc20

and Leak Down testing
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...:ref:svcproc21

You said you had the piston at TDC and locked, that's good.
20% leakage is at the threshold of problems (Less than 20% acceptable for pre-86 engines) but I'd double check the testing to make sure it's accurate before tearing down.

edit:
You've got app 5% difference between the cylinders, not bad.
The actual numbers are not as important as the relationship of each cylinder.
As long as both juggs are close to each other, don't sweat the actual readings. There are lots of variables that can affect those readings.

Make a note of the reading and the date you took it, check it again after a few rides and see if it reads the same using the same equipment.

In theory, you want both cylinders to wear about the same, this is normal.
One cylinder can throw a red flag by being more than 10% or so from the other.
But, there will come a time when the rings won't seal and the problem will have to be fixed on all of our engines.
All mechanical things fail in time.
Supposedly, HP loss will start at about 25%.

Mickey, have you done a compression test?
Generally a compression test will tell you if you have an air leak problem and a leak down test will tell you where the air is going.

I'd also suspect 80% leakage will look something like this.

I'm with Ferrous Head, I'd retest before I got worried.
Do read those links I gave especially on setup.
Matter of fact, I'd do a compression test and go from there.

Oh, and if you keep all this on one thread instead of multiple ones, it's easier for us to help you.
That way all the diagnosis is in one thread,

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Last edited by Hippysmack; 4 Days Ago at 07:13..
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t View Post
I wish but from the gauge it looks like in not...it has the Mark's on it like food moderate and poor on gauge tha/ reads cylinder leakage...mine is in the red,poor. Which is upsetting because I got it kicked over 5 times...with 11 kicks involved by changing startup technique...took for a run down the street in the rain only to 2nd gear even w the bad clutch n thought I turned the corner w this problem

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk
How did it run?
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

use a piston stop
i would not side load the wheels
the only way i would use the wheels is if it had a detent made for that like the old bsa thumpers.
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

You don't even need a gauge to do a leakdown test.

Just a rubber tipped blow nozzle and your ears (or someone with good ears).
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
I'd also suspect 80% leakage will look something like this.
Nope. that would be firmly in the 100% leakage category.

A leakdown tester measure the pressure drop across a fixed orifice, that hole is bigger than the fixed orifice.
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post

A leakdown tester measure the pressure drop across a fixed orifice, that hole is bigger than the fixed orifice.

With that one you don't need a compression gauge - you just put your finger over the spark plug hole.

Don't laugh, years ago I had a guy bring me a nice looking 60's IH he had just bought. Seller told him it need the carburetor "tuned" or maybe the tining done as he had ridden it and it was OK.

On my first kick I knew he had a problem. I used the finger test on the front cylinder.
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
This is true.
But I didn't have a busted piston pic with a smaller hole on hand.
The point I was trying to make was that 80% leakage is more a 'little' problem.
The more volume of air loss lowers the pitch of the air escaping.
The op said he didn't hear any air.
I guess I should have just said it's impossible to have 80% air loss and not hear the air escaping.....
Listening with a stethoscope, gas hose etc is part of the process anyway unless the problem is obvious.

edit:
For grins and giggles, I setup a dual psi gauge at 92 psi, opened the outlet full hose, with the readings recorded in the second pic.
This left an inlet side 60 psi and outlet side of 48 psi while flowing from a small peanut air tank. It was more of a lower high pressure sound than a hiss just like opening the tank with no valve on the hose end.

Setup.

Testing.
As you can see, with the hose end open to atmosphere, I did not get 100% leakage.

I did that to approximately simulate what the readings might be with a hole in a piston.

Keeping that visual and looking at this pic with carbon buildup slightly holding a valve open, it's easier to understand that the readings can be more subtle than a big air loss and still be problematic when taking a leak down test.
And a compression test may show this cylinder to be the problem.
Whereas with a leakdown test, you can hear air going thru the motor even if their isn't a problem.
And if you're not used to hearing what normal air sounds like, you can drive yourself nuts chasing ghosts.

Last edited by Hippysmack; 3 Days Ago at 00:23..
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
+1.
This is how I do mine. I do not like the lock the flywheel technique.
I understand your concerns about putting pressure on the flywheel face,

But it's not that much force. If it shifts your wheels your nuts are too loose.

Built up cranks actually do flex. We know this from catastrophic results. Pre unit Triumphs are prone to splitting the cases horizontally right through the bearing centers.
On Nortons the pistons can hit the electrode tips on the plugs and close them up enough to cost you a race. I've seen it.

You might think it's all rod stretch but the problems are resolved with billet cranks.

They don't flex.

If your tapers are good and the nuts done up correctly and you don't swing on the end of your 3/4 drive ratchet like a big ape, it will all be fine. The force is being applied pretty close to the crank pin.

If you have the piston at TDC the force is trying to compress the rod. not push it to one side. Most people think near enough is good enough when going for TDC. Use a dial gauge.

Although I could always be wrong and all of my engines will vibrate and explode any minute now.

(Gawd, I hope not. I'm off to Lakeside in the morning)
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

to each his own i guess. the wheels are easy to fracture and even the fsm warns so when doing alignment.
all cranks can flex if they did not, they would break. the old insert bearings on the brit machines were a weak point and yep seen them spit out bottom end parts.