The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,336
Views: 1,473,075
0 never mind
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 3,680
0 Swingarms
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 193
0 hi all
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 36
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 889
Views: 40,229
0 You can't tour on that!!!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 271
Views: 85,674
0 the roadster make more power ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 57
Views: 1,862
0 question for our machinists
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 10
Views: 337
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 9
Views: 423
0 supply oil line seeping
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 5
Views: 200
0 Question on priming motor for kickstart
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 526
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 45,683
Views: 7,220,391
0 Interview of My Expieriences Riding in the Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 6
Views: 189
0 Hydraulic Lift For XL
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 9
Views: 217
0 3.5" straight riser
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 0
Views: 20
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 14,598
Views: 815,816
0 Race tracks are harsh environments
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 174
0 Fact or fiction?
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 727
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,652
Views: 358,502
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,212
Views: 448,727
0 Cometic Air Cleaner Gasket?
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 59
0 Fork Upgrade to 39mm. Is This Possible/Wise
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 161
0 Very Loud Backfiring (among other things)
Last Post: Nacs
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 409
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,295
0 Pre-rubber stock exhaust to '08 heads and cylinders
Last Post: olrider
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 180
5 Crankcase Oil Drain Plug
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 463
0 Winter riding clothes
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 3,274
0 Charging cell phone when camping?
Last Post: kobra50
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 19,748
5 Your worst car?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 299
Views: 34,155
0 Ride Report w/ 100's of Photos & Video - 8 States, 2 Countries & 2 Big Surprises
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 28
Views: 793
More...
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda GB400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
splineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the steering damper is a good idea.
The rigid is probably the sporty to have for handling but I've got this one and really like it so will keep at it haha.
I have a Triumph Street Twin as well, handles well, good brakes EFI etc....but man I love my 90", may sell the Triumph....not a touch on the Harley overall lol. Mates think I'm crazy.
Even Mrs splineman loves the sporty.

Yeah I agree on the belt....chains a major pita, I hate them. Always fussing and farting around with them.

Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 23rd October 2018
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 88" 2003.
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by splineman View Post
I think the steering damper is a good idea.
The rigid is probably the sporty to have for handling but I've got this one and really like it so will keep at it haha.
I have a Triumph Street Twin as well, handles well, good brakes EFI etc....but man I love my 90", may sell the Triumph....not a touch on the Harley overall lol. Mates think I'm crazy.
Even Mrs splineman loves the sporty.

Yeah I agree on the belt....chains a major pita, I hate them. Always fussing and farting around with them.

Cheers.

if I had a rubber mount sporty I would make up a forward to rear stabiliser bar, my Buell is a rubber mount and I fitted one to that. big difference to feel.
I'll keep the belt drive as a bit smoother and I will be riding it a lot.

my friends some of them, think the same but they ride mass production, boring bikes.
I'll be interested to see what trap speed I can do at quarter mile drags, as they tells me power to weight I have. if high trap speed & slow ET just look at 60 foot time, a slow ET & High trap speed will show a slow 60 foot so it's the rider not the bike.

I'll let you know how she feels
Old 23rd October 2018
Flat Track Champion

jkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by conv90 View Post
Always asking myself how you dragracers can avoid to loop yourself once you are WOT. My bike wants to loops in 1st and 2nd too. In 3rd it wants to lift the front only. long swingarm like Matt is ok or wheely bar OK, but in the street is a real problem.
I said loop and not wheelie because the front lifts in a abrupt way where the only action I can to is to close the throttle.

jkinkade the bike sound goood! Nothing beats the 2 in to 2 exaust sound.
conv90 you have a strong runner for sure! the STD heads can no longer buy and always what racer's used. they are good heads. and Red shift cams always work well!! I wanted the Red Shift 630/585 & if was in stock I would have them. but needed to send a cam set to have the lobes fitted. also Aron pointed out with the high lift would need to use Jim's lifters. I got the S&S Premium Lifters. Aron advised I use the 600 hammer because of motor size. but I went with the 560 impact Hammer cam set as I liked the look of how Sporty Traceys Build turned out with those cam's. but not expecting mine to make same HP & TQ, but I'm not worried as would be hard to ride at the track with stock wheel base like you mention, your bike wants to loop when you give it WOT. that happens!!
some people think it would be fun, but it makes it harder to ride fast.

I have stock size wheels & 130 . 90 X 16" rear tire , I've always had that size on all my Harleys at the rear ( heavy old tire, but at the track that has track preparation & on a hot day , I have run 40 p s I tire pressure and had my bikes wheel stand out the hole. I would love some rims like yours!!
just want the bike to look stock, or close to it.

how's your bike since you found the intake manifold loose? have you fixed it & has it stopped the detonation?
Old 23rd October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
conv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant futureconv90 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinkade View Post
conv90 you have a strong runner for sure! the STD heads can no longer buy and always what racer's used. they are good heads. and Red shift cams always work well!! I wanted the Red Shift 630/585 & if was in stock I would have them. but needed to send a cam set to have the lobes fitted. also Aron pointed out with the high lift would need to use Jim's lifters. I got the S&S Premium Lifters. Aron advised I use the 600 hammer because of motor size. but I went with the 560 impact Hammer cam set as I liked the look of how Sporty Traceys Build turned out with those cam's. but not expecting mine to make same HP & TQ, but I'm not worried as would be hard to ride at the track with stock wheel base like you mention, your bike wants to loop when you give it WOT. that happens!!
some people think it would be fun, but it makes it harder to ride fast.

I have stock size wheels & 130 . 90 X 16" rear tire , I've always had that size on all my Harleys at the rear ( heavy old tire, but at the track that has track preparation & on a hot day , I have run 40 p s I tire pressure and had my bikes wheel stand out the hole. I would love some rims like yours!!
just want the bike to look stock, or close to it.

how's your bike since you found the intake manifold loose? have you fixed it & has it stopped the detonation?
Not yet fully tested because I'm working from home these days and I'm using the bike only for few kilometers.
About shocks I'm happy with my YSS rear shoks and the Paioli mid glide 46mm front forks.
Me too Id like to raise just a bit the rear. Is this a solution?
https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/produ...eringlift-kit/
Hammer Billet Manifold.
160/60ZR17 rear on Akront 4.25" Alu rim
100/90-19 front on Akront 2.50" new Alu rim
YSS 13.75 rear shocks
1975 XLH almost stock
Old 23rd October 2018
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by conv90 View Post
Not yet fully tested because I'm working from home these days and I'm using the bike only for few kilometers.
About shocks I'm happy with my YSS rear shoks and the Paioli mid glide 46mm front forks.
Me too Id like to raise just a bit the rear. Is this a solution?
https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/produ...eringlift-kit/
The link to the swingarm, that uses a moveable swingarm to shock mount. I have seen that idea used before. but I don't think I would trust it. also the guy that rebuild my shocks said , he does not like short shocks he see's on Harleys, as the swingarm is at wrong angle to work properly. I'm not an expert so no experience in testing or designing. this guy does a lot of testing. but lowering the bike better for Drag's. he was talking about riding fast over rough twisty roads & getting a controlled ride. If you can understand what I mean.
Like on a drag strip it should be smooth & straight & flat, so ground clearance not away's a issue. If your riding fast & your frame hits the ground hard, your in trouble!
Old 24th October 2018

splineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond reputesplineman has a reputation beyond repute

"If your riding fast & your frame hits the ground hard, your in trouble!"

Yup absolutely..... Had this happen too often. Left bends peg feelers are first to touch but right turns it's the exhaust crossover, if suspension under load quite hard.
Of course the solution is longer shocks and personally that would be my choice.
There are some quite good and reasonably priced shock out there nowadays....don't need big bucks Ohlins, just my view.
Not sure on changing the shock mount point, not something I would do without careful thought.

What I like about the 90" is the fantastic drive out of bends....I just corner sensibly and use what I've got for that great midrange drive.....love it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 24th October 2018
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
"If your riding fast & your frame hits the ground hard, your in trouble!"

Yup absolutely..... Had this happen too often. Left bends peg feelers are first to touch but right turns it's the exhaust crossover, if suspension under load quite hard.
Of course the solution is longer shocks and personally that would be my choice.
There are some quite good and reasonably priced shock out there nowadays....don't need big bucks Ohlins, just my view.
Not sure on changing the shock mount point, not something I would do without careful thought.

What I like about the 90" is the fantastic drive out of bends....I just corner sensibly and use what I've got for that great midrange drive.....love it.

Cheers

that drive out the bends!!!!
that's what I want thrust!!
does it feel light in the front when you drive hard out the bends?

I remember back in the 1990's going to watch roaring sporty's or twin sports ( had few different names ) Harley sponsored the class. they had a 2 into 1 system that had good clearance & mounted to top shock mount, and the ones I saw used 15" long shocks, and they were putting there knee's down in corners.
Old 24th October 2018

Yeah it's definitely light on the front on an agressive throttle.....I'm no Casey Stoner tho lol....ride sensibly at my age lol.
I'm no drag racer!
You'll love your bike I'm sure!!

Cheers

Old 24th October 2018
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Yeah it's definitely light on the front on an agressive throttle.....I'm no Casey Stoner tho lol....ride sensibly at my age lol.
I'm no drag racer!
You'll love your bike I'm sure!!

Cheers

thanks what heads are you using ? & what size valves? also do you know what comp ratio you have?
Old 24th October 2018

I bought a set of machined heads from Hammer...with the crush head porting service 1.9" intake 1.615" exhaust valves.
https://www.1250kits.com/xlporting.shtml#Crush
10.5 compression, 205 lb cranking pressure best I can check.
It's strong no doubt about that!

Cheers.