The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing Discuss drag racing on a Sportster Motorcycle.

Active Threads
9 1970 XLCH Project Not starting
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 41
0 Remember these?
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 668
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,140
Views: 341,304
0 Vintage tires
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 78
6 Happy Birthday Iree!!!
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 60
0 ‘79-81’ rear wheel offset or spacing ing issue?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 Brand new 2020 XL1200NS
Last Post: Scruffer
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 13
0 CV carb running way rich!
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 313
4 1977 ironhead frame modification help
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 529
0 Crank failure and ?? killed my 1275 Hammer Build
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 124
Views: 2,380
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,764
Views: 638,855
0 1275 Map For Thundermax...Need Help
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 25
5 Accidentally put Synthetic auto oil and caused engine to seize
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,534
0 Down on oil
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 48
Views: 1,704
0 Sticky Ironhead trans
Last Post: Hap
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 274
0 Food porn
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,038
Views: 396,207
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,983
Views: 2,156,902
0 I need to polarize the generator each time I start the bike
Last Post: DR DICK
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 154
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,705
Views: 330,004
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 773
0 Koso hd-01-04 2014+
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 295
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,162
Views: 600,564
0 Rear lights
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 193
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: ironsquirrel
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 262,128
0 Magneto Sportster's Original Paint 1965 XLCH Project
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 386
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 775
Views: 64,588
0 New to Harley - 2007 883R
Last Post: Mike1nw
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 698
0 Cancelling auto renew
Last Post: Billy1200
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 123
0 Clutch release mechanism
Last Post: Rioo
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 226
0 Help identifying brakes
Last Post: bobandy
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 185
More...
Members Birthdays
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 1st May 2019
NGOT8R NGOT8R is offline
Chief Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 586
Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2019
Reputation: 118297
NGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud of
Default Iron 883 drag race suspension setup

I have been researching drag race suspensions for my 2019 Iron 883 and would like to know what you guys/gals think about the following setup?

- Purchase a second front end and set it up with RaceTech specific rate drag springs, damping valves, Ricor Intimidators and Burly Brand preload adjusters.

- Add RaceTech single adjust drag shocks (specific to my weight) to the rear.

I will do most of my riding on the street, but for those times when I do hit the track it would be nice to switch over to a setup that will allow me to cut a good sixties without wheelies.

Note: I have never had a dedicated drag race setup before (only a custom rear drag shock on my old drag bike) and it handled decently on the street at 64". I was wondering if there is anyone in here that rides their drag bike on the street often and if so, what are the handling characteristics like? Are you able to get away with it by stiffening up the front and rear for the street, rather than having to swap out forks and shocks (if you didn't ride the bike aggressively into curves)? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 1st May 2019
cycowrencher's Avatar
cycowrencher cycowrencher is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 2,734
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 1984 KX 125
Reputation: 234555
cycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant future
Default

If you strap the front down, you don't need a separate set of legs.
__________________
USN 1991-1995 VFA-81/ USS Saratoga, Iraq 1, Kosovo/ Bosnia Conflict
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1st May 2019
NGOT8R NGOT8R is offline
Chief Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 586
Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2019
Reputation: 118297
NGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycowrencher View Post
If you strap the front down, you don't need a separate set of legs.
Is there a specific strap kit available for the Sporty or will it require fabricating some brackets to run a strap kit?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2nd May 2019
madnss's Avatar
madnss madnss is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,248
Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Reputation: 1305607
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGOT8R View Post
Is there a specific strap kit available for the Sporty or will it require fabricating some brackets to run a strap kit?
Schnitz Racing has 20 dolla straps that will go onto the brake caliber mount and axle pinch bolt. EZ PEAZY!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2nd May 2019
NGOT8R NGOT8R is offline
Chief Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 586
Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2019
Reputation: 118297
NGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnss View Post
Schnitz Racing has 20 dolla straps that will go onto the brake caliber mount and axle pinch bolt. EZ PEAZY!
Thanks Madnss, I’ll check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2nd May 2019
madnss's Avatar
madnss madnss is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,248
Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Reputation: 1305607
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGOT8R View Post
Thanks Madnss, I’ll check them out.


https://store.schnitzracing.com/schn...SABEgJFx_D_BwE


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2nd May 2019
madnss's Avatar
madnss madnss is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,248
Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Reputation: 1305607
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGOT8R View Post
I have been researching drag race suspensions for my 2019 Iron 883 and would like to know what you guys/gals think about the following setup?



- Purchase a second front end and set it up with RaceTech specific rate drag springs, damping valves, Ricor Intimidators and Burly Brand preload adjusters.



- Add RaceTech single adjust drag shocks (specific to my weight) to the rear.



I will do most of my riding on the street, but for those times when I do hit the track it would be nice to switch over to a setup that will allow me to cut a good sixties without wheelies.



Note: I have never had a dedicated drag race setup before (only a custom rear drag shock on my old drag bike) and it handled decently on the street at 64". I was wondering if there is anyone in here that rides their drag bike on the street often and if so, what are the handling characteristics like? Are you able to get away with it by stiffening up the front and rear for the street, rather than having to swap out forks and shocks (if you didn't ride the bike aggressively into curves)? Thanks


Lots of variables here, but I wouldn’t go tossing a bunch of money into a 2019 883 XL for strip use unless it’d be a dedicated drag bike. A good set of street shocks is fine for the strip. Like cyco said, strap the front end and go race. Or a great set of shocks and a front end rebuild with performance in mind.

If you are worried about wheelies then toss in a lockup clutch.

Imho, a street/strip bike is difficult to tune for the strip. Even though I still do it lol good luck!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2nd May 2019
NGOT8R NGOT8R is offline
Chief Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 586
Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2019
Reputation: 118297
NGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnss View Post
Lots of variables here, but I wouldn’t go tossing a bunch of money into a 2019 883 XL for strip use unless it’d be a dedicated drag bike. A good set of street shocks is fine for the strip. Like cyco said, strap the front end and go race. Or a great set of shocks and a front end rebuild with performance in mind.

If you are worried about wheelies then toss in a lockup clutch.

Imho, a street/strip bike is difficult to tune for the strip. Even though I still do it lol good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't help myself madnss. I am constantly trying to talk myself out of getting too crazy with this build, but at the same time, I am also a performance enthusiast, who is always looking to get a little more out of his toys. I actually enjoy the build process just as much as I do the riding. I will probably do the front end build and a really good set of shocks to round out the suspension. I have so many ideas for this project and I can't wait to get started on it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2nd May 2019
cycowrencher's Avatar
cycowrencher cycowrencher is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 2,734
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 1984 KX 125
Reputation: 234555
cycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant futurecycowrencher has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGOT8R View Post
I can't help myself madnss. I am constantly trying to talk myself out of getting too crazy with this build, but at the same time, I am also a performance enthusiast, who is always looking to get a little more out of his toys. I actually enjoy the build process just as much as I do the riding. I will probably do the front end build and a really good set of shocks to round out the suspension. I have so many ideas for this project and I can't wait to get started on it.
Intamators and racetech springs for your weight correctly preloaded is absolutely the best bang for the buck... Less than 400 bucks... This will let you out ride your tires and brakes really easily... A set of 300 dollar progressive rear shocks that are the correct length for your swing arm to be level with your lower frame rails with you on it and 1 click of preload. You will still want to strap the front down at the strip. This will be the best street strip compromise and still let you enjoy spirited twisty riding... But hey, I'm just a dumb redneck from Virginia...

Past experience with a similar setup would leave at 5500 and not lift more than 3 to 4 inches if you feed the clutch to it correctly...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2nd May 2019
NGOT8R NGOT8R is offline
Chief Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 586
Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2019
Reputation: 118297
NGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud ofNGOT8R has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycowrencher View Post
Intamators and racetech springs for your weight correctly preloaded is absolutely the best bang for the buck... Less than 400 bucks... This will let you out ride your tires and brakes really easily... A set of 300 dollar progressive rear shocks that are the correct length for your swing arm to be level with your lower frame rails with you on it and 1 click of preload. You will still want to strap the front down at the strip. This will be the best street strip compromise and still let you enjoy spirited twisty riding... But hey, I'm just a dumb redneck from Virginia...

Past experience with a similar setup would leave at 5500 and not lift more than 3 to 4 inches if you feed the clutch to it correctly...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Thanks cyco! I haven't measured my rear shocks at full extension yet, but as the bike sits now, they're at 10 1/4" from eye to eye, so I would assume they are 11" shocks? You mentioned that the aforementioned setup would let me out ride my tires and brakes very easily. The bike does not have ABS. Should I be looking at upgrading brakes as well? I'm ok with 3-4" wheelies and will add the strap kit back to the list of things to get. I do have another question for you though. Does anyone run their bike with the forks lowered via the triple tree? That's what I did on my previous drag bike and that helped quite a bit to keep the front end down. Here's a video of a 1.51 sixty launch on that bike (white GSXR-1000 in right lane). I have been out of the game since 2012, and I know a lot has changed. However, I am looking forward to putting together a really nice package that will give me the best of both worlds.

https://youtu.be/ueAFOcm38Vg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC