The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > VENDORS > Hammer Performance
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Relatively Interesting Road Sign
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,091
0 Turn Brake Stop for 97?
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 4
0 Cast or forged
Last Post: spacecoast
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 82
0 question on engine temp in winter
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 78
0 WTB Rubbermount Air Shifter,Wheelie Bars
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Views: 82
0 Vibration During Acceleration
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 381
3 Thoughts on buying
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Views: 187
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: vagrant318
Replies: 5,520
Views: 638,753
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,695
Views: 234,102
0 Cam timing and piston position
Last Post: Pezed
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 682
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,807
Views: 726,049
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 42,050
Views: 6,511,224
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 701
Views: 42,425
0 My 1200 IRON
Last Post: SCarty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,533
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 946
Views: 160,567
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,296
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 962
0 New member in Pullman Washington
Last Post: Dustpan63
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 252
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: littlelisac
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,109
0 New England 2018
Last Post: tvon
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 290
Views: 16,601
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,700
Views: 181,978
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 2,102
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,497
Views: 548,613
0 Air quality went down the tubes
Last Post: Calcustom
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 162
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bstrdbike
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,625
Views: 374,314
0 No Rear Brake Pressure
Last Post: Napawineguy
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 14,821
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: DirtyCory
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,204
0 Brake shoe removal/installation tool
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 450
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time 10% Savings on a Pair Of Quality Heim Joints***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,175
Views: 254,952
More...
Members Birthdays
gp9739 (74), danbango (71), andyman1958 (60), 55 Jr (57), Love2FixIt (49), keywan (47), C Dubya (44), CA71xlch (43)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the season is a wrap, 'cept for a 3-day live capture derby next weekend to benefit the hatchery's brood stock program.

Late in September they cut us down to a 1 fish daily limit because the dam counts were looking so bad. That's from a 2 fish limit last year, and a 3 fish limit in years before that. Salmon runs go in cycles and we've been on a downtrend, which should be reversing here in a year or two. But we literally only had about 20% of the fish this year that we had in 2015, which was the peak of the cycle.

Then they pulled the plug on the whole season on October 15th, which was two weeks earlier than planned. They said we had taken our 7000 fish quota at that point.

The fish were smaller on average than previous years, and averaged poorer quality this year as well. I'd say the average fish was 10-12lbs is all. A few years ago it was more in the 15-17 range. And we started getting some pale fish in late September. Last year, I don't think we saw a pale fish until about October 10th.

I personally managed to boat 32 fish, not sure how many HAMMER Dan got but it was several. Had various other guys join me in the boat at times. I'm guessing we put 50+ in the boat altogether over the course of the season. So it wasn't a total bust. Beats working. And I've got a freezer full of salmon filets. I'm probably going to smoke about half of them though, given the quality.

I took the above pic from my boat, while it was beached right after launching it, at sunrise one morning. You can see my net in the upper right corner. This is looking downriver. Right next to the boat launch is this giant pile of branches. It's home to the two beavers you see if you look close. They didn't seem to mind the boat warming up right next to their house.

There's tons of wildlife along the Reach. Deer, Elk, coyotes, beaver, eagles, etc.

Here, they're easier to see in this close-up.

A typical day's catch, before they dropped the limit down to one. That's a 150qt cooler. These fish are pretty average size.

Bald eagles like to sit up on the power line tower and watch all the boats. They probably think we're idiots, fishing with rods and reels and lines.

I only managed two fish over 20lbs all season. This guy was 22.8lbs. The other big one is in the picture in post 47, he was 28.2lbs.

A week's booty, this was early in the season before they dropped the limit, and while the fish were still fresh.

My buddy George flew in from his home in Wyoming and spent a week fishing with me. He limited every day. This is his biggest one, it was a tick over 20lbs. He had never done this before, he's kind of a hard core trout fly fisherman. So these fish were the biggest he's ever caught. Now he's hooked, he's already talking about coming back next year.

George again. This fish is high teens for weight. It's turning red, but it's a buck so it's OK. The bucks will cut nice even when they're red on the outside. It's the hens that go pale inside when they get too far along.

I'm going back for the derby next weekend. Being a live capture derby, we keep all the fish alive and we turn them in. WDFW then transports them to the hatchery to use brood stock. It's a lot of fun. When you get this late in the year, the fish get really aggressive and the fishing is good. Plus, there will have been no fishing pressure on the river at all for the previous two weeks. Last year I got 13 in the 3 days of the derby, and all the entrants collectively turned in over 500 fish. It's a hoot.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck on your venture, keep the rod tip up or at least up current. Remember, there is a 30#er waiting, go get it!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif