The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,807
Views: 725,887
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42,050
Views: 6,510,900
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 701
Views: 42,101
0 Cam timing and piston position
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 606
0 Relatively Interesting Road Sign
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,068
0 My 1200 IRON
Last Post: SCarty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,514
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 946
Views: 160,536
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,278
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 960
3 Thoughts on buying
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 129
0 New member in Pullman Washington
Last Post: Dustpan63
Replies: 17
Views: 246
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: littlelisac
Replies: 35
Views: 1,099
0 New England 2018
Last Post: tvon
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 290
Views: 16,594
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,700
Views: 181,956
0 WTB Rubbermount Air Shifter,Wheelie Bars
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 47
Views: 2,093
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,518
Views: 638,703
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,497
Views: 548,486
0 Air quality went down the tubes
Last Post: Calcustom
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 155
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bstrdbike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,625
Views: 374,281
0 No Rear Brake Pressure
Last Post: Napawineguy
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 14,811
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: DirtyCory
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,193
0 Brake shoe removal/installation tool
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 442
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time 10% Savings on a Pair Of Quality Heim Joints***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,175
Views: 254,731
0 seat bolt
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 10
Views: 514
0 Vibration During Acceleration
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 15
Views: 338
9 1973 XLH1000 stuck front brake caliper
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 6
Views: 208
0 Suzuki Lights On 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 86
Views: 3,074
0 Best value in a front spoke wheel
Last Post: Calcustom
Replies: 0
Views: 122
More...
Members Birthdays
gp9739 (74), danbango (71), andyman1958 (60), 55 Jr (57), Love2FixIt (49), keywan (47), C Dubya (44), CA71xlch (43)
View Poll Results: Who is wrong here?
Guy turning left 13 4.30%
Guy passing on the left 183 60.60%
Both! 106 35.10%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Magna
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
rjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant futurerjg883c has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
If you're turning, you don't have to yield to vehicles coming from behind you. Someone who hits a vehicle ahead from behind is always at fault, IMO.
Interesting view. About a year ago I was turning left, from a left turn lane. When the green arrow appeared I paused for a few seconds, to make sure that the cross traffic stopped, before pulling forward. During that time a cage passed me on my left, heading west in the eastbound lanes, and would have broadsided me if I had pulled out when the arrow appeared.

I understand your point about 'fault'. But there are people here learning to ride. And they need to understand that being 'right' can easily mean 'dead right'. Sometimes we have to 'yield' regardless of the law.
Old 1 Week Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg883c View Post
I understand your point about 'fault'. But there are people here learning to ride. And they need to understand that being 'right' can easily mean 'dead right'. Sometimes we have to 'yield' regardless of the law.
Oh yes, I absolutely agree with that.

In terms of ‘right of way’, in the UK I don’t think that either someone turning right (left in the US), or someone overtaking, has ‘right of way’. Both are carrying out manoeuvers with an increased element of risk, and are responsible for checking that it is safe to carry out the manoeuver, and continuing to check that it remains so.

I believe that someone overtaking and hitting someone turning right would be considered more, if not completely, at fault.

Regardless of which, of course, in practice we should never assume that anyone, in any circumstances, is going to be as aware, or observant, or cautious, as they should be. Whether we think that we have 'right of way', or not.

When turning right you should be on the lookout for vehicles behind overtaking the line of traffic you are in (and oncoming vehicles overtaking traffic coming towards you, etc), and when overtaking you should be on the lookout for people turning (or also pulling out to overtake, etc).

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 5 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
SLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to behold

The original question for the poll is
Quote:
Who is at fault here?
So in staying with the topic, it is fault. Legally, the one turning left was at fault. Period, everything else is merely opinion on who should have done what. Clearly both of those involved should have stayed home, as I would suggest anyone that thinks the person turning left wasn't at fault.

Truly it was foolhardy for the person overtaking the extremely slow moving traffic, but even so, the fault for the collision lies solely on the person turning left.

Yes, when overtaking you are required to insure it is safe to do so, but it was safe until the person turned left.

Obviously, everyone needs to do what they can to avoid an accident no matter which is required to yield.

Another misconception is the so-called "I have the Right of Way" or "he had the Right of Way". It doesn't exist. At least here in the USA and for sure Florida and most states I have driven in, the law does not allow anyone the right-of-way. It only states who must yield. As in the video the left turning driver was supposed to yield to all other traffic, whether it be a passing vehicle or one overtaking from the rear.

Everyone that voted the guy passing was at fault should not be out on the streets and hiways.
Old 5 Days Ago
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, Highway Code Rule 167 says that:
  • You must not overtake at or near a road junction on either side of the road.
  • You must not overtake a road user who is indicating right*.
*: which could be signalling an intention to turn, or that they are intending to overtake.

Rule 180 says that before turning right you should check to make sure that you are not being overtaken.
Sponsored Links
Old 5 Days Ago
Brass Nut

The original video has disappeared; here it is again:

Old 5 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2018
Medicalweed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Video not found

Won't let me open the video from the link from op
Old 5 Days Ago
Brass Nut

Which is why I reposted it above.
Old 4 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
SLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to beholdSLW210 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In the UK, Highway Code Rule 167 says that:
  • You must not overtake at or near a road junction on either side of the road.
  • You must not overtake a road user who is indicating right*.
*: which could be signalling an intention to turn, or that they are intending to overtake.

Can't actually tell if that is an intersection or driveway, any where I have driven, intersections that require no passing are marked with no passing signs or the lines in the center of the road that would indicate no passing. Apparently from what I could gather, the road in the video is marked for passing. Not sure what the speed limit is or the speed of the overtaking motorcycle.

Most laws I could find also note that simple use of a turn indicator does not give you any right of way. The motorcycle overtaking was already in the passing lane before the driver turned.

Quote:
Rule 180 says that before turning right you should check to make sure that you are not being overtaken.
Quote:
If you're turning, you don't have to yield to vehicles coming from behind you. Someone who hits a vehicle ahead from behind is always at fault, IMO.
You actually stated earlier that this was not required. That Rule 180 puts the FAULT on the driver turning as I have stated already and YOU just confirmed. Even in the UK and as you previously stated this supposedly occurred in Poland and we do not know the exact laws there.

It would be interesting to find out the legal results of that accident.

You already have the article from the similar accident here, yet you still think the vehicle turning is in the right.

I'll say it again, if you think the vehicle turning in that video was not at fault, you should not be out on the roads.
Old 4 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, that's an obvious exception, and it's not hard to think of one or two others. In general, though …
BINGO - took 3 years but you finally admitted what I was saying, and it contradicts your use of the term "always".

My point, things aren't always black and white, there are circumstances where the fault is shared or shifted.

Carry on.
Old 4 Days Ago
Brass Nut

I think that they are both at fault; the rider turning for not signalling (as far as I can tell), and the passing rider for riding recklessly, too fast, passing with the side turning coming up, and not keeping an adequate look out for riders turning, pulling out to pass, or anyone in the side turning emerging and turning right into his path (and also not signalling).

I think the passing rider is much more at fault, and would be judged so in this country (UK).

In our own riding, we need to be aware when turning that people do pass recklessly, and keep a look out for them. When passing we need to be aware that people may turn, or themselves pull out to pass the traffic ahead (and may not indicate), or may emerge from a side turning.