The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,285
Views: 803,767
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: cazz1000
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,240
Views: 495,466
0 tire time
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 924
0 nice ride today
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 Grenade plate
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 Whats your carry gun?
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 687
Views: 98,660
0 Movotor Smoked Tail Light and Turn Signal
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 214
0 Battery issue?
Replies: 9
Views: 127
0 First run
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 6
Views: 133
0 Dynojet Power Vision 2
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 241
Views: 27,625
5 Favourite grips?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 14,243
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,178
Views: 286,194
0 49mm Forks?
Last Post: Redbeard2
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 429
0 Larger Roadster tank for 79-81 Sportster
Views: 169
0 Friction modifiers in gasoline
Replies: 10
Views: 443
0 Asgardian Prep for Labor Day weekend in the Keys
Replies: 11
Views: 260
0 A MG midget driver tried to kill me today.
Last Post: BSA Bob
Replies: 18
Views: 364
0 Trouble codes
Last Post: DFuller1980
Replies: 8
Views: 193
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,156
Views: 1,204,628
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 234,194
0 Anyone carry a gun while riding ?
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 448
Views: 77,856
0 Bigger valves
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 28
Views: 781
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Replies: 3,091
Views: 299,912
0 Power Loss At Sustained High RPMs
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 35
Views: 1,185
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,963
Views: 292,147
0 Copper vs Iridium Spark Plugs
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 788
0 ironhead xlh 82 oil problem
Last Post: owlsplace
Replies: 8
Views: 261
0 Clutch cable oil leak
Last Post: Truckedup
Replies: 6
Views: 110
0 1st offering to forum then open market
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 117
0 more flow = dirty air?
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 22,143
More...
Members Birthdays
Wizwill, ron bolen (71), mustangt5 (55), Harley (54), wally509 (51), pperrone (48), Rapha (43), chadp (40), Randum77 (40)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: XL883C
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
Doesn't matter about the little rubber mushroom valves. They are just to keep the oil from draining back down too fast...
When on tour I had enough oil blowing past those valves to soak the air filter after about 400 miles that it caused my bike to run rich and I had to top off the oil bag. I had another 1400 miles to go and didn't want to continue putting up with the issue so that evening I pulled the mushroom valves, cleaned them and put them back in. That stopped the oil from blowing out of the breathers and fouling up my air filter which has remained clean for the last few thousand miles nor have I had to top up the oil.
Old 21st September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

the valves will loose their ability to control c/c gases as they age, even though the seem pliable in your fingers, not so much while working so replacing is the way to go.
they have nothing to do with the oil draining back down, that is up to gravity and c/c pressures. the oil vapor goes through a separation compartment where the oil is coalesced. when you have more vapors than the system can handle, it will carry out the valves to the outside world.
Old 21st September 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6
Other Motorcycle Year: 2019
Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
the valves will loose their ability to control c/c gases as they age, even though the seem pliable in your fingers, not so much while working so replacing is the way to go.
they have nothing to do with the oil draining back down, that is up to gravity and c/c pressures. the oil vapor goes through a separation compartment where the oil is coalesced. when you have more vapors than the system can handle, it will carry out the valves to the outside world.
I assumed he was talking about what the manual calls umbrella valves. They do keep the oil from draining down on the intake side. That keeps liquid oil from being sucked into the air cleaner. They do not prevent oil nor pressure from returning to the lower parts of the engine since there are no umbrella valves in the exhaust side holes. Only the intake side has them.
Old 21st September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I assumed he was talking about what the manual calls umbrella valves...
Yes, exactly... #23 in the diagram. It's my impression they are essentially PCV valves which is why I bothered with them in the first place and they obviously were the issue. Mine were fouled and would allow air to flow in both directions but the valves themselves were still flexible and once cleaned they sealed well enough to prevent air from getting sucked back in. That was confirmed by a simple blow test through the head breather bolts.

Old 21st September 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

That illustration shows what must be the later model one way valves. The earlier umbrella valves look like this.

They probably both do the same thing, just different appearance. I believe these were used from about 1992-2003.

I should not have said the umbrella valves had nothing to do with spitting oil since a bad umbrella valve could cause more oil spitting. They do not have anything to do with the engine wear that lets more blowby through on older engines.

Last edited by Graywolf; 21st September 2018 at 19:21..
Old 22nd September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

well, it makes no hill of beans which side they were designed in, would they work if on the exh side of the head ?, SURE! has zero to do with the valves!
the diff would be the mounting of the air cleaner to the heads which ports the c/c vapors to the air cleaner.
oil drains via the p/r tubes and rifle hole to the flywheel compartment.
Old 22nd September 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

I guess you can put your umbrella valves in the exhaust side if you want to. Makes no difference to me. I will continue to put them in the intake side.
Old 22nd September 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have run several EVO sportsters up over 100,000. it is an engine that is a great bike engine.

My secret to long sportster life, about 75 HP is good, bronze oil pump gear, top end job around 65000 ish, Owning a GSXR 750 for track days, my sporties are my DDs and around town bikes. They are a bike I started riding in the iron head days and have never found a more balanced bike.

lets put it this way, there is a huge reason 30 + percent of HD sales are Sporties. It aint price, it is because there is such a huge following for the platform. It is that good of a bike.

tell the truth, I can not decide if YAmaha or HD has a better big twin right now, but I can tell you who rules the middle weight market.
Old 22nd September 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Yes, exactly... #23 in the diagram. It's my impression they are essentially PCV valves which is why I bothered with them in the first place and they obviously were the issue. Mine were fouled and would allow air to flow in both directions but the valves themselves were still flexible and once cleaned they sealed well enough to prevent air from getting sucked back in. That was confirmed by a simple blow test through the head breather bolts.

part of the genius of the Evo Head. It works in so many realms, smog is one of them and let HD move on as other marks were trying to get their designs to meet CARB. I think the Evo sportster can last longer non water cooled than the BT ever will.
Old 24th September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
... They probably both do the same thing, just different appearance. I believe these were used from about 1992-2003...
Yup, the valve units as used in say a 2006 Sporty (pictured below) contain a one way valve like you posted a pic of... it's the green thing.

Quote:
... They do not have anything to do with the engine wear that lets more blowby through on older engines.
Agreed, but from what I've read on forums it seems some people automatically assume that excessive oil vapor coming out of the breathers is a product of blowby instead of acknowledging that crankcase pressure differentials are a normal occurrence in an internal combustion motor and rely on a properly functioning PCV valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammantoo View Post
part of the genius of the Evo Head. It works in so many realms, smog is one of them and let HD move on as other marks were trying to get their designs to meet CARB. I think the Evo sportster can last longer non water cooled than the BT ever will.
I think the Evo Sportster motor is one of the simplest, robust and beautifully designed motors to have ever been produced.