The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 26,148
Views: 2,687,279
0 New sportster in HD Research Survey
Last Post: Mr Dream Merchant
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 7,352
0 2021 HDs now Out!
Last Post: Mr Dream Merchant
Replies: 9
Views: 313
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 1,031
Views: 99,014
0 Cutting out at WOT
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 8
Views: 108
0 Scrambler, Dirtster, Dual Sport , Adventure Sportster picture thread
Last Post: phyhowe
Replies: 112
Views: 93,650
0 Should I apolgise to Harley Davidson ?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 74
Views: 6,397
0 Can I fill gas tank up to top?
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 63
0 1977 Shift shaft
Last Post: IronMick
Views: 100
0 Zippers Hammer 99 kit Info
Last Post: rocketmangb
Views: 103
0 did .you ever kick a good man when he,, was down
Last Post: 11B40
Replies: 12
Views: 797
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 9
Views: 297
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: skien
Replies: 832
Views: 82,172
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 83
0 Motorcycle airbag jeans
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 349
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Marsikus
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 47,148
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 652
Views: 133,863
0 Flat Tracker Pics
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,172
Views: 654,883
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 11,589
Views: 2,374,762
5 Tire Pressure?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 49
Views: 5,605
0 Battery
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 6
Views: 180
0 XL1200 03 changing from 29tooth to 27
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 14
Views: 1,058
0 2021s getting new MT22 ECM
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 0
Views: 62
0 Rear Sprocket Runout
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 1
Views: 75
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 8,231
Views: 1,788,473
0 75 IH Oil leaking into starter from primary side/ bendix
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 435
0 Improving Fuel Mileage
Last Post: LLOYD883
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 461
0 New guy here from Michigan
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,491
0 Mustang 1 Piece Seat 6-XLS
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 0
Views: 105
0 V-Twin Solo Seat Plunger Kit
Last Post: fernf5
Replies: 5
Views: 184
More...
Members Birthdays
Reynoldston (80), showmebandit (67), Hoppy1313 (67), FredrikK (65), Toejam503 (65), YO MUDA (62), Altopass (61), tim 2007xl1200c (54), w9awx (48), 3xtrastout (42)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 116" S&S FLSTFB
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
shgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the rough
Default St. Andrew(s), save my tranny!

Good evening folks, and happy holidays!

I'm taking some time off to tear into Blackie's transmission and replace those three troublesome stock gears (CS 2&3, and MS 3) with the Andrews gears. Swapping them out was a breeze, and now the arduous task of shimming. Fortunately, I've found a local source (if you consider Tacoma local) for the shims, so I don't have to order, then wait, then install, then find out I need different sizes, then order, then wait, then install, rinse and repeat...

I have a few questions, as fortunately, it looks like the only gear that's out of tolerance is the Countershaft Low gear. The inner shim is already as big as is available as a Harley part (.100"), I need another 15-20 thou. Is it acceptable to put two shims in this location to get me to .120"? I would then have to get a slimmer shim for the outer Countershaft Low gear (currently at .070" - would go to .055 or .050").

Secondly I'm wondering about my clutch gear and my 2nd Gear Mainshaft (see pic).

The face that mates to the clutch gear seems worn, but there's nothing to wear that face except the face of the clutch gear, and that couldn't happen because the 2nd gear would be interlocked with the clutch gear.

It's almost like there's SUPPOSED to be a portion of the face on the 2nd Gear Mainshaft that's raised.

When I measure between that raised portion of the face and the dogs on the clutch gear, I'm between .032 and .058", but not if I measure the flatter portion of the face of the clutch gear. The clutch gear looks ok except for some wear on the dogs.

Thoughts on this clutch gear?

Finally, is it acceptable to have more than one mainshaft thrustwasher? The tranny had two in it (both .050") when I pulled it out, but I still get noticeable lateral movement when I check end clearance on the sprocket-end of the mainshaft, so I'm thinking of getting a couple larger ones to take up that slack and get back to tolerance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st December 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly normal (and required according to parts manual) to have two shims inside cs low. Not normal to have or need two shims for the main shaft thrust washer. Any gear dogs or mating pockets that are chipped and worn is just asking for trouble. If you have the means, replace them now.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

From your description it seems there is too much distance between both shafts and the cases.

Having to run two shims on both shafts is not "normal".

There is what Harley calls a "thrust washer" in the end of the clutch gear. No one ever touches them.
The clutch gear is located by the main bearing. As long as you have the correct door and the correct bearing the clutch gear should be in the correct position.
This also depends on the trap door seating fully against the case. And that the cases are mated correctly.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud of

I know it's expensive but I'd change out everything for new Andrews parts: gears and shafts. Then you don't have to worry about a weak link in the trans that could blow up later causing very expensive damage. Of course, it's not my money but I did this on my '78 and it shifts like butter and was very easy to shim to perfect.
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
I know it's expensive but I'd change out everything for new Andrews parts: gears and shafts...I did this on my '78 and it shifts like butter and was very easy to shim to perfect.
+1

Ironhead cases are rare and expensive. I also went all-Andrews, and shimming was a cinch!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

shgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the replies - Doodah, I did put a second left shim on the 1st gear (countershaft) to get the proper CS3 and CSLow gap in neutral. I'm still not able to get under about .020" CS endplay, but it was WAY worse than that before I started (like .050), so I'm going to call it a win - I'd need a .090 thrust washer, but they only go to .075. I doubt that using 2 TWs would be proper, so I'll live with it.

While I appreciate others' comments about going all-Andrews, I can't swing nearly a grand for such an upgrade - especially after already spending $250 on the three Andrews gears the board recommends be replaced anyway. I did replace the clutch gear and MS2nd per your recommendation Doodah (with OEM gears off flea-Bay).

Other than bad spacing on the CSLow gear, the other thing I discovered was that the Pawl Carrier Support tower wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the trapdoor and parallel to the shift fork shaft. I bought a new tower, but it had the same problem, so I carefully planed down the mounting boss on the trapdoor to remedy that. I also replaced the Shifter Finger Rollers with the older Shovelhead ones. I'm not sure why y'all recommend filing them down so they're the same height as the stock ones - they don't interfere with anything sticking up above the shifter cam like they do. Turns out the ones that were already in there were probably those SH ones anyway, as they were the same height measurements. But they were worn, so it was good to replace them.

I went through the blueprinting thread for the shifter, and checked everything. I put in new Pawl Carrier Springs, and Shifter Pawl Spring (though the existing ones were still serviceable). I also replaced the Pawl Carrier, since the old one looked worn.

Everything's shimmed and spacing is correct (other than the CS endplay as mentioned above). Took her out today for a shakedown ride - a bit sticky between 1st and 2nd (both directions), but I'm thinking the new tower and Pawl Carrier just need to get seated and worn in (though I used assembly lube when I put everything together). I also need to readjust the clutch one more time.

It shifts up and down through all 4 gears, and the 23 tooth drive sprocket sure makes riding at highway speeds more pleasant.

Thanks for the help, y'all - the 4-speed Sportie Transmission is no longer a magic box to me!

Last edited by shgrier; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:48..
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: k-model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1953
gearhead1944 is an unknown quantity at this point

The stickey 2nd.gear shift is due to the taller finger rollers hitting the tower.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not completely understanding your term "sticky". Failing to shift sometimes ?

I wouldn't be happy with 20 thou end play on the C/S. FSM calls for 4 to 9.

That can be tricky to get exactly where you want, but too much will affect your gear spacing.

FSM calls for 38 to 58 which is a 20 thou range but if your plus 11 on the C/S already and your on the wide side with clearances you could well have a problem there.

Last edited by Ferrous Head; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:54.. Reason: Typo
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: k-model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1953
gearhead1944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ferrous head,I was refering to OP's post #6.Stickey 2nd
gear shifts.The big twin rollers are taller and going in and out of 2nd gear the roller hits the tower.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sticky as in the shift lever doesn't always come back to center - again, new tower and pawl carrier probably need to wear in. The new pawl carrier springs are much stronger than the old, worn-out ones, so the shifter should kick back into slot easier.

GH1944 - not sure how the additional .020" height of the roller could possibly interfere with the tower - the face of the tower is at least .250" away, and only on the MS2nd, since the CS3rd roller is out past the end of the tower. As I said in my post, the ones I pulled out were the same length as these I put in (one was actually longer by about .002").

FerrousHead - how can i suck up that additional ~.010" when I can't get a shim big enough? - I doubt doubling up on that CSLow thrustwasher would work - it's held in place by the machined recess in the outboard side of the gear itself; the end of the CS is thinner than the ID of the thrust washer at that point of the shaft. Then again, maybe a .025" (smallest size they make) on the inboard of the gear pocket and a .065" outboard of it - there might be enough pocket left to hold the .065 in place?