The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Flat Tracker Pics
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,172
Views: 654,210
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11,589
Views: 2,372,896
5 Tire Pressure?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 5,588
0 Battery
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 150
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26,140
Views: 2,686,050
0 XL1200 03 changing from 29tooth to 27
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,025
0 2021s getting new MT22 ECM
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 8
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,020
Views: 98,575
0 Should I apolgise to Harley Davidson ?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 6,216
0 Rear Sprocket Runout
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 43
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 824
Views: 82,061
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,231
Views: 1,788,321
0 Motorcycle airbag jeans
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 246
0 75 IH Oil leaking into starter from primary side/ bendix
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 12
Views: 404
0 Improving Fuel Mileage
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 20
Views: 409
0 2021 HDs now Out!
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 214
0 Zippers Hammer 99 kit Info
Last Post: sungod
Views: 32
0 New guy here from Michigan
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Replies: 23
Views: 1,456
0 Mustang 1 Piece Seat 6-XLS
Views: 43
0 V-Twin Solo Seat Plunger Kit
Last Post: fernf5
Replies: 5
Views: 166
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 19,615
Views: 1,170,504
0 Any experience with REBUILT title?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 53
Views: 1,050
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 97
Views: 12,303
0 Any Banjo-Playing Sporty Riders here?
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 3,464
0 How many miles do you have on your rubbermount?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 492
Views: 99,845
0 1977 Shift shaft
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 73
0 New from France
Last Post: juzyHD
Replies: 13
Views: 315
0 Identity crisis
Last Post: Edmundas
Replies: 51
Views: 3,737
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: rickxx
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,469
Views: 1,129,980
7 1983 Ironhead motor in a 1996 EVO frame?
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 3,700
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of

If I'm not mistaken all of the successful Sportster fuel drag bikes used the stock dry clutch with an extra plate installed. My 77" used the '66 stock dry clutch with a mix of XR750 and Triumph springs. Never slipped. Nobody we rode with used a wet clutch. I consider a wet clutch to be a lazy way out of an easy problem: keeping the thing dry inside.
Old 1 Week Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
and coming out of slow tight corners.i remember hearing them do that.
That was the krappy skinny tires they ran back then, spinning up as the power hit.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Us old Ducati kids wear tee shirts that say "loud clutches save lives". That distinctive dry clutch rattle used to be the hallmark of the make. Now, with increasing power, they've gone wet.
It is very likely the European version of the EPA has had a chat with Ducati regarding their "noise pollution"....
Old 1 Week Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Jeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
And do they have hydraulic clutches or do you have to have arms like Popeye The Sailor Man ?
I believe they abandoned the clutch cable along with the bevel drive. My '93 has a hydraulic clutch. It is, literally, a "two finger" clutch. For me anyway, but I've ridden my Ironhead for 42 years, so my left forearm is about the size of my right thigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
It is very likely the European version of the EPA has had a chat with Ducati regarding their "noise pollution"....
Yeah, I bet you're right. Like Harley's decision to go to the "quiet chain" on the Twinkie so they could reassign their allotted db's to the exhaust. It sucks when greenies make engineering decisions for you...

I do love the puzzled looks I get at stoplights, and the occasional "is something wrong with that thing?"...
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
And do they have hydraulic clutches or do you have to have arms like Popeye The Sailor Man ?
I think the Sportster is the only street bike left using a cable...

I could be wrong

i'll ask the wife

She ALWAYS knows when I'm wrong
Old 1 Week Ago

mikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I believe they abandoned the clutch cable along with the bevel drive. My '93 has a hydraulic clutch. It is, literally, a "two finger" clutch. For me anyway, but I've ridden my Ironhead for 42 years, so my left forearm is about the size of my right thigh...

Yeah, I bet you're right. Like Harley's decision to go to the "quiet chain" on the Twinkie so they could reassign their allotted db's to the exhaust. It sucks when greenies make engineering decisions for you...

I do love the puzzled looks I get at stoplights, and the occasional "is something wrong with that thing?"...
Remember the FORD fiasco about automatics coming our of park.....
Kid in a truck
Parked on a hil by a lake
Left there alone
Engine running
Parking brake not set

Truck finds reverse, goes into lake and kid dies

Somehow it's FORD's fault

But prior to around 1963 all autos read P N D L R

Then the safety NAZI's decided you should put R next to P to prevent the kid in the front seat from dropping the shift lever in R as you drove 65 mph down interstate and crash your car

Never mind all the engineers demonstrated that could not happen...good old BIG BROTHER in DC did it anyway....
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
If I'm not mistaken all of the successful Sportster fuel drag bikes used the stock dry clutch with an extra plate installed. My 77" used the '66 stock dry clutch with a mix of XR750 and Triumph springs. Never slipped. Nobody we rode with used a wet clutch. I consider a wet clutch to be a lazy way out of an easy problem: keeping the thing dry inside.
Key word DRAGBIKE

Race bike/cars are not the same as street bikes/cars

I never had to R&R a wet clutch because a seal leaked

Call your local BMW shop and ask what it cost to R&R the clutch on one of their single dry plate units when a $7 rear main seal fails.

R-1100/1150
K-1200

It's north of $3000.00

They no longer use dry units....not even on their 200+ mph RR-1000.....if that beast does not need a dry unit....a Sporty damn sure doesn't
Old 1 Week Ago
Blind Owl

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They no longer use dry units....not even on their 200+ mph RR-1000.....if that beast does not need a dry unit....a Sporty damn sure doesn't
Now, I could be wrong on this, but, doesn't the BMW have a single plate clutch ? A diaphragm clutch I'm thinking. But maybe springs.
And a hydraulic actuator ?

So, if Harley added a clutch from GM to fit a 350 Chevy with a hydraulic actuator problem solved. ?

(Oh, they may need to find room in the cases for a 14 inch plate. Maybe turn the engine sideways 90 degrees ? run a shaft drive ?)
Old 1 Week Ago
Blind Owl

I'm not afraid of "complicated" things. Spent 40 years working on computers. Big ones.

So, sensors feeding engine management units and software determining ride handling and braking don' scare me.

Except they do.

We have computers on all of our modern vehicles and for the most part they work fine.

But experienced qualified mechanics are no longer working on them. We teach 20 year olds how to plug a diagnostic tool into them and then replace whichever module reports a problem.

I CANNOT begin to work on my own car anymore.

It's not economical in any case. But that whole thing about learning how things really work ? We no longer teach kids that.

They get new bikes with a games package that lights up like a Christmas Tree when you turn the key. (Or just get near them now ?)

It was a lot easier for me to survive the first few years of my life on bikes that put out less than 40 hp. I saw how many kids got maimed and killed when the first Honda 4's came out. And we sold them to 18 year old kids.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

The yam RD's were the kid-killers when I was teens. Ported, chambers, damn little rockets

And our old Dodge had the push-button trans-a-mission