The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 11,555
Views: 2,364,314
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 25,926
Views: 2,660,526
0 OEM Headlight Bucket?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,622
0 Year help on ironhead confused
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 446
0 Wedding Ring - Do you wear one?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 342
Views: 30,904
0 RIDE REPORT During Covid, 13 States & Some Spectacular Riding
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 5,091
0 Removing Rear Shock
Last Post: slamtry
Replies: 7
Views: 137
0 keihn setup at Altitude
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 98
Views: 4,110
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 19,492
Views: 1,164,022
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 626
Views: 129,268
0 History of Harley; One Man's Perspective
Last Post: Ultrarunner
Replies: 3
Views: 224
0 New from Ohio
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 11
Views: 126
0 Missippi Gulf Coast here.
Replies: 8
Views: 143
0 Identity crisis
Replies: 40
Views: 2,327
0 Pinion shaft roller bearing plug fit
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 813
0 FXDL - Help me please, NADA confusion
Last Post: xraytoken
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 206
0 Fork Oil Measurement
Last Post: Cyclone14
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 70
0 NRA files for bankrupcy
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 288
0 Who runs (or has run) a Barnett Scorpion Clutch?
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 2,562
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Last Post: 45Brit
Views: 1,257
0 Carb Air Vent hole cracked
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 16
Views: 756
0 63 XLCH revival
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 10
Views: 335
0 My Wife Says …
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 241
0 Handlebars
Last Post: Dr3wDrop
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,081
0 Please School Me On Carbonite Clutches
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 1,480
0 mississippi queen video
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 708
0 motorcycle on lift for two+ years
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 213
0 From XL to FL - any experience?
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,032
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 91
Views: 11,885
0 Rebuild a 2 stroke in 9 minutes :)
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 174
More...
Members Birthdays
steve yorke (63), edman (55), Hudsonator (53), kozman32 (53), R3DN3X (51), gmcsid (50), mitch (45), Txngrg87 (34), Gotenfan (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud of
Default trans door fitment

I think I know the answer to this question but I'm paranoid about the fitment and need to hear it one more time.

I've got a trans door that is not original to my case. A couple of the hold down bolt holes don't line up.

On XLF the guys here say the doors are standard; they are machined to be interchangeable as the shaft alignment relies on the alignment of the dowel pins and the dowels are aligned with the shafts and bearing holes in both the door and the case. IOW the dowels and shafts always line up, and if the hold down bolt holes don't line up, this is irrelevant; all you have to do is adjust the hold down holes with a file, and you are good.

Right? Because I'm soon to put my trans in.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2076933

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Three wheels move the bowels.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud of

Biggest concern is how the mainshaft will align with it's bearing on the sprocket side. I bought a Vulcan aftermarket trapdoor and while the fit on the dowels was good, the mainshaft was shifted in the bearing. I could only fit the bearing rollers by pushing the mainshaft to one side which I figured wasn't a good thing for longevity. Used the original trapdoor instead.

Only way you'll know for sure is to modify the trapdoor until it fits the bolt holes and dowels and then check mainshaft clearance in the bearing race.
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud ofGold Member has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
Biggest concern is how the mainshaft will align with it's bearing on the sprocket side. I bought a Vulcan aftermarket trapdoor and while the fit on the dowels was good, the mainshaft was shifted in the bearing. I could only fit the bearing rollers by pushing the mainshaft to one side which I figured wasn't a good thing for longevity. Used the original trapdoor instead.

Only way you'll know for sure is to modify the trapdoor until it fits the bolt holes and dowels and then check mainshaft clearance in the bearing race.
I forgot to mention the race is brand-new and not lapped yet, the m/s is brand new, and I gave him 100 USA made new rollers, standard size. He is to pick me out 23 rollers that are all identical, in case there are any over- or under-size in the lot. Anal retentive of me I know, but I'm getting close to assembly and don't want any more delays if I can help it.

I hope I'm on the right track?
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Member View Post
IOW the dowels and shafts always line up...
Not so. I have a 'spare' trans with the same trapdoor casting numbers; it would not go in with just the two dowels + m/s & c/s in place. I didn't try to force it. My OEM trapdoor was fine so I reused it with all-Andrews gears & shafts.

You pays you money and you takes you chances..
Old 6 Days Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

The location of the bolt holes that hold the door on are not indexed to anything.

They will almost never line up if you swap doors.
It doesn't matter.

They do not locate the door, the dowels do that. AT times the bolt holes will be 1/4 inch out. Last one I did I went through 5 doors (I have some spares) before I go one that was close. In the past I have just drilled the holes in the door out.

The doors are NEARLY interchangeable. Had HD indexed the bolt holes to something they would be.

But the important bits, holes for the shafts will align with no problems.

You will know when you have put a gearbox together right. It takes very little to cause a problem, binding and so on.

Once the box is installed you will be able to change through all the gears and the main shaft will spin quite easily.

Oh. There is a "special" lube for gearbox assembly. If you don't have some I would suggest you buy it. Actually called "Transmission Assembly Lube".