The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 55
0 I love my Mikuni VM38-9 because ...
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 22,842
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: moparnut72
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 865
Views: 95,947
0 Sportster tachometer wiring question
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 204
0 Why do sportsters look small?
Last Post: kopbilly1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 102
Views: 7,224
0 Rocker Lockers - Quiet Down Annoying Top End Ticking
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 48
Views: 6,558
0 First Harley(has issues) - 95 sportster 1200
Last Post: 95sporty1200
Replies: 8
Views: 187
0 Need some help chasing a tick
Last Post: 95sporty1200
Replies: 6
Views: 345
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 134
Views: 45,325
0 Topend problem
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 18
Views: 297
0 '71 XLCH starting issues, any ideas?
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 21
Views: 558
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 585
Views: 55,609
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 1,640
Views: 170,860
0 Does Synthetic Engine Oil cause Higher or Lower temps at the oil tank?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 16,379
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 258
Views: 60,374
0 Anyone try the new Conti tour tires
Last Post: Wyo George
Replies: 4
Views: 95
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 5,447
Views: 623,319
0 KT - 2018 - Hop-along Highway
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 37
Views: 3,514
0 What riding gear do you have/wear in good and/or poor weather?
Last Post: TheDinglepuss
Replies: 104
Views: 32,424
0 Do you have the service manual?
Replies: 708
Views: 177,688
0 Another ironhead roadracer
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 896
0 Helmet poll
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 795
Views: 144,897
0 Magnaflow F-Bomb on a Rigid?
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 45
0 S&S pushrod adjustment
Last Post: T_worth
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 446
0 New problem with 1200s (Rev Limiter)
Last Post: ftwflh
Replies: 23
Views: 840
0 Suzuki Lights On 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 69
Views: 1,665
9 Aftermarket Petcocks
Last Post: ezmerf
Replies: 13
Views: 501
0 Motorcycle oils or not ?
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 69
Views: 2,105
14 Where do you store your Sportster over the winter?
Last Post: XLPIZZA
Replies: 48
Views: 2,094
0 How many when You park.... (Leave Your Bike In Gear)
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 353
Views: 43,309
More...
Members Birthdays
doughboy (65), tinman (63), mofo (56), JAFI (55), Topgun (53), Hogwylde (53), Pay Toilet (52), grwhite038 (50), JWG883 (49), sorryifitburns (45), Leibniz (43), higgins14 (41)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Superlow 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
hexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond repute

My analog temp gage I bought from Harley does not pop up. It is also accurate. The dealer guy is full of it as usual.
Supertrapp Supermegs exhaust
1200 gearing, super brace
Progressive suspension front & rear
Old 5th May 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of days ago arrived the replacement on warranty...
from Holland...
Old 23rd June 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
ratiostrain is an unknown quantity at this point

The actual dipstick "stick" looks very, very different from the stock Harley dipstick. I bought my bike used and it came with that temperature gauge dipstick (63023-05)....so I can't compare the length of the two dipsticks.
So, where on that chrome "stick" should the oil be? I'm not feeling very confident that I have I have oil at the right level.
2004 Roadster
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Location: Errrr..... err...... I... I... I... I can't remember, I think I got it written down somewhere...
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Sportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud ofSportycus has much to be proud of

Pardon me for giving this thread a bumpy ride, but I have a solution to the measurement-invisibility problem. You need to etch the shine off the dipstick, something Harley forgot about during the chrazy chromium cha-chingalingabling chrisis.

The stuff:
  • Hydrochloric acid (can be bought from hardware store - I used 30% if I recall correctly)
  • Disposable gloves (nitrile preferred), eye protection (full safety glasses or face shield preferred).
  • Bicarb soda (baking soda)
  • Glass tall enough to contain at least the dipstick.
  • A piece of stiff paper (larger than the glass). A bit of stiff plastic with a hole drilled in may work better.
  • A small torch (optional - helps with process inspection).
The prep:
  1. Make a reasonably large quantity of bicarb soda solution - 5tbsp into 1qt/1L of water. Make sure this is in a container large enough to at least stick your hand in without getting suck, and that you can soak your whole hand in the liquid, should you end up spilling acid on your skin.
  2. Ensure the area is free of contaminants, such as metal shavings, dirt and grease.
  3. Ensure the area is free of complainants, such as mother-in-laws and children, as they may react explosively, causing injury.
The procedure:
  1. Cover the cap in glad wrap leaving just the dipstick exposed. Please note that, as careful as you may be, covering the rest of the cap/gauge is very important, because as I learned the hard way, HCl vapours rise from the acid, mix with moisture in the air and turn the chrome into green. This still may still happen even if you cover it, but it should be mild enough that you can polish it near the end.
  2. Poke the dipstick through the stiff paper and clean the area around the dipstick.
  3. Place the stick in a glass of hydrochloric acid for about 1-5 minutes (be sure you have plenty of ventillation!). Keep watch during the entire duration of this step. If you see a dark strip that runs along the length of the dipstick, remove from the acid immediately and proceed to the next step.
  4. Inspect the result. If satisfied with the etch, remove the stiff paper and glad wrap covering, and wipe the cap using a paper towel soaked in bicarb soda solution. Wipe the stick after wiping the cap.
  5. Carefully run a sharp pin around both upper and lower marks to enhance their visibility.
  6. Quench the dip stick in bicarb soda solution for about 5 minutes.
  7. Wipe the whole assembly with a paper towel that is wetted with just water. Clean and dry the whole cap/dipstick unit.
The end:
  1. Place paper in bicarb solution, let it soak for 5 minutes.
  2. Empty the glass, rinse with some bicarb soda solution. Pour some solution inside it and leave for 5 minutes.
  3. Wash as per your usual glass washing routine.
To summarise, that's roughly how I got rid of the shine from the metal dipstick. I just etched the stick using hydrochloric acid I got from the hardware store, then neutralised it by quenching in bicarb soda solution.

I make it seem like a lot of steps, but much of it is for safety and other little details that are very important. You don't want to end up losing eyes or injuring yourself (we're dealing with acid here, after all), but you also don't want to end up contaminating the oil in your bike.

I initially tried sandpaper to create a "brushed" look, but didn't improve visibility of the oil layer much.

ratiostrain: I have both sticks (the OEM one I got is from a 2014 model, though I think the oil tanks are mostly the same). The two markings on both sticks are exactly the same length, and exactly the same distance away from the start it seems. Just make sure the oil lies in between the two marks on either dipstick and you will be OK.