The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > HARLEY STREETFIGHTER FORUM > HARLEY STREETFIGHTER Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 55
0 I love my Mikuni VM38-9 because ...
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 22,842
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: moparnut72
Replies: 865
Views: 95,947
0 Sportster tachometer wiring question
Last Post: sleighcrane
Replies: 8
Views: 204
0 Why do sportsters look small?
Last Post: kopbilly1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 102
Views: 7,224
0 Rocker Lockers - Quiet Down Annoying Top End Ticking
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 48
Views: 6,558
0 First Harley(has issues) - 95 sportster 1200
Last Post: 95sporty1200
Replies: 8
Views: 187
0 Need some help chasing a tick
Last Post: 95sporty1200
Replies: 6
Views: 345
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 134
Views: 45,325
0 Topend problem
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 18
Views: 297
0 '71 XLCH starting issues, any ideas?
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 21
Views: 558
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 585
Views: 55,609
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 1,640
Views: 170,860
0 Does Synthetic Engine Oil cause Higher or Lower temps at the oil tank?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 16,379
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 258
Views: 60,374
0 Anyone try the new Conti tour tires
Last Post: Wyo George
Replies: 4
Views: 95
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 5,447
Views: 623,319
0 KT - 2018 - Hop-along Highway
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 37
Views: 3,514
0 What riding gear do you have/wear in good and/or poor weather?
Last Post: TheDinglepuss
Replies: 104
Views: 32,424
0 Do you have the service manual?
Replies: 708
Views: 177,688
0 Another ironhead roadracer
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 896
0 Helmet poll
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 795
Views: 144,897
0 Magnaflow F-Bomb on a Rigid?
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 45
0 S&S pushrod adjustment
Last Post: T_worth
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 446
0 New problem with 1200s (Rev Limiter)
Last Post: ftwflh
Replies: 23
Views: 840
0 Suzuki Lights On 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 69
Views: 1,665
9 Aftermarket Petcocks
Last Post: ezmerf
Replies: 13
Views: 501
0 Motorcycle oils or not ?
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 69
Views: 2,105
14 Where do you store your Sportster over the winter?
Last Post: XLPIZZA
Replies: 48
Views: 2,094
0 How many when You park.... (Leave Your Bike In Gear)
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 353
Views: 43,309
More...
Members Birthdays
doughboy (65), tinman (63), mofo (56), JAFI (55), Topgun (53), Hogwylde (53), Pay Toilet (52), grwhite038 (50), JWG883 (49), sorryifitburns (45), Leibniz (43), higgins14 (41)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect Messrs Harley and Davidson would have had more in common with Eric Buell than the whole of the present Board of their Company!
Old 16th August 2018
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
sml1226 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
wow i didn't know. they went out in jan of 17. looks like for the second time as EBR.

i was reading on the EBR forums and someone was saying the 2016+ bikes are under warranty still while the 2014 and 2015 ebr bikes are not. and that EBR is basically just a liquidation parts warehouse now with a few employees. i have no way of knowing if that's true.

also found this on the EBR forums

and here is the thread on those forums. was posted 7-8-18

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1...R-FB-This-Week

if they went down a second time and a liquidation company owns everything now i dont see how they are coming back. but maybe.
"Buell" in what sense though? Erik's doing stuff with VanguardSpark. That's no EBR by any means, but it's a Buell bike in production if you're looking to stretch that claim a little.
Old 16th August 2018
foot in mouth member

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: Dou-glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 63
jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Jebuz Key-RIST it's customers like you we have to blame for some of the stupid decisions Harley has made over the years.... FRUCK!
plus one. get a life. it is a Harley
Old 17th August 2018
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR, BD Vintage, 59 XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
kmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to behold

japan made motorcycles are pretty decent the first model year out. moco not so much. I wouldn't buy a first year model from them. I am alive because I went back to hd. their sportster and big twins are enjoyable to ride at normal speeds and don't urge me to get crazy. would you want your son on a sportster or a rocket bike. moco is making their bikes more sophisticated so to get you into their service dept. I prefer a bike that is mechanic friendly. i would get a honda grom over this. don't need a bike with a computer or antilock brakes altho i see a lot here want that. i would like my next bike addition to be a pre 71 triumph 650. i have to say, what is up with all these dumb names. streetfighter is too fourteen year old for me. moco is a public company which means they are under constant pressure to grow and grow stock value. they need to sell anything with their name on it like Harley condoms etc to keep it going. do you notice your emails from your local dealer are mostly about trinkets and t shirts, and less about motorcycles. they need this motorcycle to sell more t shirts. when they closed down all those so cool old motorcycle shops and forced them into boutique clothing stores with a spot for motorcycles, that was really the start of the end of an era for hd but i didn't notice it for another 10 years. agree with all 60gunner comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 17th August 2018
foot in mouth member

jammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond reputejammantoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Boutique stores were for the RUBs, I agree. But they also are what put HD where they are today. Without the Boutique stores HD would be a 2nd string motorcycle company trying to compete with newer technology, with the stores they are a American Icon that has made cruiser motorcycles a status symbol.

I think the entire Boutique thing is going to disappear in the next 2 decades as the RUBs are going to sell their bikes as they get old and the younger crowd does not want to embrace (or even know who ) the Charles Bronson lifestyle.

And during that time HD needs to have product for the crowd who is buying.

So yes the Street Fighter is a viable product.
Old 17th August 2018
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR, BD Vintage, 59 XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
kmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to behold

if it is a homerun and doesn't puke a lot of parts the first year(of course now we need extended warrantee and service plans, not like the old days where you ran it a few hundred miles and then voided the warrantee with personally chosen upgrades), then yes. however a jap moco can one up this in 1 year. the moco takes a lot longer. it wont have a 10 or 20 year production run. the second string motorcycle company is already here for many of us. all you need is a titled frame to keep going. shovelheads and evos have eternal parts supply. ironheads almost all parts readily available. shorter production runs that I think we will see with this genre of hd will not be well supported and I doubt one could be scratch built (like you can with a vintage hd) 10 years old. ok yes its a Harley but so is your f150, your t shirt your everything they can possibly license their name to. running and and maintaining your pushrod carbureted bike is the total experience in a world where many men cant change the tire on their car. I realize I am pissing into the wind here but the moco is moving on where I cant go.
Old 18th August 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm submitted to the fashion of pushrods... air cooled twin engines...
yet times are going to change... not for the first time...

sail wood made ships changed in steam and then turbo dreadnough... iron ships...

pistons propeller avio engines changed in jet engines...

etc...

this happen if we like or not...
Old 18th August 2018
foot in mouth member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmul View Post
if it is a homerun and doesn't puke a lot of parts the first year(of course now we need extended warrantee and service plans, not like the old days where you ran it a few hundred miles and then voided the warrantee with personally chosen upgrades), then yes. however a jap moco can one up this in 1 year. the moco takes a lot longer. it wont have a 10 or 20 year production run. the second string motorcycle company is already here for many of us. all you need is a titled frame to keep going. shovelheads and evos have eternal parts supply. ironheads almost all parts readily available. shorter production runs that I think we will see with this genre of hd will not be well supported and I doubt one could be scratch built (like you can with a vintage hd) 10 years old. ok yes its a Harley but so is your f150, your t shirt your everything they can possibly license their name to. running and and maintaining your pushrod carbureted bike is the total experience in a world where many men cant change the tire on their car. I realize I am pissing into the wind here but the moco is moving on where I cant go.
I know a Japanese co will one up it real quick, and then the others will one up that.
But what the MOCO does is aet up a product that even if out classed, does its designed purpose well and can survive because it has what it needs.
Look at it this way, a 100 hp hooligan machine is all you will need to pop wheelies and piss off old farts. If the competition pushes that to 150 hp the bike becomes unmanageable. I would prefer a bike that would do what it is intended to do and not be a piece of junk in 3 years.
Face it a 2011 jap crotch rocket is worth 1500, but a 2011 Sportster is worth 6 grand. why you sk, the jap bike is only worth n=money if it can kick the competition, but the sportster has not competed in the HP wars since the 60s,it lives on because it is such a good platform. So if the stret fighter can pop wheelies and do hooligan shit till the sky turns purple, then it will sell great because we can depend on it to. after all how many huge HP upgrades has the sportster had? and it is 30 some percent of HD sales. 61 years since it was introduced, How many Jap bike have that kind of production record?
Old 18th August 2018
foot in mouth member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibelungen View Post
I'm submitted to the fashion of pushrods... air cooled twin engines...
yet times are going to change... not for the first time...

sail wood made ships changed in steam and then turbo dreadnough... iron ships...

pistons propeller avio engines changed in jet engines...

etc...

this happen if we like or not...
A great post. Face the facts if we wanted to keep the model t in production we would not have super highways. Life moves forward as do our needs, we may not like it but cutting off your nose to spite your face only benefits the guy selling you the knife. everyone else loses.
Long live HD, but that only happens if it can sell bikes to the youngsters. So change is needed. I mean would you buy a brand new HD if they only produced the original engine? Nope you would never consider it because it could not do 30 MPH
Old 18th August 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Yep and maybe in time we will learn to love the LiveWire.