The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,392
Views: 1,211,846
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 442
Views: 52,468
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: wolfryder
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 493
Views: 113,566
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 27,295
Views: 2,836,919
0 Rubbermount Poll
Last Post: rich56
Replies: 256
Views: 84,656
0 How many miles do you have on your rubbermount?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 492
Views: 101,087
2 WOW, This cracked? Wtf?
Last Post: XL_1200C
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 674
0 '81 front Shocks
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 2
Views: 101
0 2009 Iron 883 Wont Start!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 71
Views: 1,622
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 8,327
Views: 1,822,671
0 "The Blues" thread!
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 984
Views: 108,143
0 Starter Worked, Then It Didn't
Last Post: VintageVinny
Replies: 6
Views: 185
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: Ranchero50
Replies: 28
Views: 962
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Last Post: Ranchero50
Replies: 39
Views: 4,947
0 Slip on alternative
Last Post: bordens
Replies: 4
Views: 1,725
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: ZCarFan
Replies: 1,266
Views: 224,611
0 Best seat for long rides
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 142
Views: 36,191
0 Shock mount sheared
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Blacky
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,845
Views: 401,514
0 never mind
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 270
Views: 43,762
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 49,916
Views: 8,156,947
0 Ammo cans
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 154
0 Newbie Full Rebuild Help Thread
Last Post: thecarfarmer
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 219
0 03 xlh 88"
Last Post: Blacky
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 5,699
0 Rear Shock length '81
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,080
0 Speedo fog
Replies: 3
Views: 105
0 New Owner
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 7
Views: 249
0 Late 84-85 primary cover to 86-90 cover??
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 26
Views: 663
0 One cylinder working ...
Replies: 35
Views: 1,585
0 Sydney and Northern Beaches riders - any around
Last Post: petersinc
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 10,823
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2021
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Jeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to behold

We're kind of doubling back now - we've covered most of this. The tiny little "decorative" oil coolers seen today, if they perform any real function at all, only serve to save the oil from thermal breakdown so that it can continue to lubricate. Superfluous in a day and age when many appropriate oils have such high thresholds for such that the wheezing, underpowered engines to which these coolers are fitted will never reach that threshold. So this is where the marketing guys win the engineering argument - the customer expects to see an oil cooler as an indication of increased power and performance. The engineer knows it's not required. The customer does not. The marketing guy says to put it on - the "more powerful" bike "needs" one... nod nod, wink wink...
Old 13th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of

Consider that the new $9K HD cafe racer is a 750 water cooled twin with radiator and won't get out of its own way, made in xxxxing India too. Now I love Indian food and Mahindra tractors are great too, but an HD???

Does it surprise me that they put an oil cooler on? Yes Did it surprise me that they put a 1930s Indian clutch in a 72 AMF Sportster...Yeah. Did it surprise me when all of the hard facting in the 72 transmission was glitter in the oil in 10K miles? Yeah.
Old 13th January 2021
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 68XLCH59XLCH98FLHTC99FLST
Sportster/Buell Year: 59XL
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 68XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: 98FLHTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 99FL
nibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the rough

.....good thread...
Old 13th January 2021
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
Nope, the LT-1 came with solids. 72 was the only year you could order the LT-1 with an A/C. And it was the last year for the LT-1 so maybe it didn't work out so well. (Although I think it was more insurance/price related)
Did more research and found a claim that there were 240 1972 LT-1 Vettes with factory A/C.....engines were solid lifter.....another bet I would have lost to join the 1965 327/365 Vette with factory Air....
Old 13th January 2021
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

i never had much interest in Indians but hearing they used a wet clutch in the 30's got my attention.maybe that's the reason i never had much interest in indians?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 13th January 2021
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now left wondering if there is some reason I have missed about why a wet clutch is more desirable than a dry clutch ?

I have always just presumed HD gave up on actually trying to fix what was the real problem, sealing them off from the oil" and just took the easier option.

Yamaha with their race bikes went the other way. As they started to produce a lot of HP they went to a dry clutch. Seems obvious enough to me.

But maybe they just weren't smart enough to make a wet clutch work ?

The little TZ's need to slip their clutches for the first 50 yards just to get under way. You'd think a wet clutch would be perfect for that ! It's very easy to make them slip.
Old 13th January 2021
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post

The little TZ's need to slip their clutches for the first 50 yards just to get under way.
and coming out of slow tight corners.i remember hearing them do that.
Old 14th January 2021
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud of

Oil helps to cool the clutch

Plus....if you get oil or grease on a dry clutch like in my BMW.....guess what
Old 14th January 2021
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Jeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to beholdJeff is a splendid one to behold

Us old Ducati kids wear tee shirts that say "loud clutches save lives". That distinctive dry clutch rattle used to be the hallmark of the make. Now, with increasing power, they've gone wet.
Old 14th January 2021
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now, with increasing power, they've gone wet.
And do they have hydraulic clutches or do you have to have arms like Popeye The Sailor Man ?