The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 shovster ignition timing
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 241
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 31,712
Views: 1,876,592
0 e bay deals i got past 2 weeks
Last Post: mct496
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 713
0 "The Blues" thread!
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,186
Views: 192,687
0 Through The Years
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 130
0 Something different: 1948 Willys Truck
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 10,412
0 Putting the Sport back in the Sportster
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 189
0 Latest toy arrived... 1967 Sportster XLB
Last Post: boonoorong
Replies: 44
Views: 3,745
0 winding idle up excessively to start bike.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 86
Views: 5,098
0 Chain: What Type?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 744
0 A few Thoughts
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,377
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 39,625
Views: 5,219,620
0 Cams for a Turbo XL1200H
Last Post: casual_obser
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 499
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,912
Views: 501,150
0 What's Wrong With My Bike
Last Post: PoodlePunche
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 162
Views: 11,056
0 A year later...
Last Post: Andy56
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 338
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 55,674
Views: 9,551,353
0 HD announces end of the Sportster model
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 42
Views: 2,168
12 POLL: How many times have you dropped a motorcycle?
Last Post: gconnsr
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 142,437
0 trimmed shovel top hats
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 278
0 Amazon CV carb
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 1
Views: 120
0 Belt tension
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 33
Views: 1,856
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Bryan1976
Replies: 9,920
Views: 2,445,623
0 Ignition circuit
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 7
Views: 372
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 5,491
Views: 1,288,106
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 790
Views: 124,069
0 Pipes "Wheezing" on decel
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 8
Views: 884
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 341
Views: 74,191
0 Buell XB top end on Sportster Who has Done It??
Last Post: Racepres
Posted On: 2 Days Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 613
0 distributor
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 2 Days Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 416
More...
Members Birthdays
breakwind, OkieHD1911 (73), Sal77 (68), Jeffro (52), NYSPORTY (47), lordharley (46), gearzslyb (29)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2022
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Racepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud ofRacepres has much to be proud of

While in Rebuild process... Make sure your float, actually Floats... some are "lighter" than others.. If the float, floats reliably... that damnable little spring is Not a necessity (yea somebody somewhere will eventually call ya out for leaving out parts...Oh Well)
In general, those floats are not reliable, and therefore one needs to struggle with that Spring... Worth it to study carefully and get it in Correctly. If installed incorrectly, it is Worser than leaving it out!!!
Old 10th August 2022
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Shadow
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
IronHeadRon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte03 View Post
Bendix - Zenith Float Needle & Seat * there are many Threads on this Carburetor here at XL Forum, If you ever pull the VITON coated float needle , inspect it with a Magnifier, the seat is just a Brass Ring, as the Needle wears it gets an indent ring around the VITON and will ‘hook’ in the brass ring seat , at this point replace the float needle
Yeah, you should check that gas is getting to the bowl, I guess I just assumed you had a clear filter you could watch flow like I do. But definitely would cause a lack of squirt!
Old 10th August 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

Float level is 3/16” end of float to carb body flat , use a 3/16” drill bit
Old 10th August 2022
Chief Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Shadow
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
IronHeadRon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte03 View Post
Float level is 3/16” end of float to carb body flat , use a 3/16” drill bit
Yup, that's the spec. However you may need to adjust up or down to fit your particular set up (in my experience anyways very small adjustments) to get it to stop the flow (on my carb, maybe others have issues with flow stopping to soon, or maybe it has to do with the dump and spec works for most -\_o_/-)

Anyways, he didn't mention a float issue, and the plunger gas is sucked up from the bottom so idk why it would be (unless the needle is stuck shut as someone mentioned above, but that seems far from the most likely cause, and if it's overflowing that doesn't affect the squirt in a bendix in any substantial way, just makes it a bxxxx to get started).

imo
It's either the plunger he was searching or the brass valve at the bottom if the bowl I think. Best way to tell is (again, imo) to tear it apart, suck through the plunger hole ensuring it comes from bowl, blow ensuring it goes to venturi (it takes quite a blow, but I felt it, hence why I am not using the new valve) this will rule out the valve, then its either the plunger or linkage

If his throttle is opening and the plunger is attached correctly it is most likely not the linkage leaving the plunger he is searching for the most likely culprit

Be careful not to huff too much gas, best to let the bowl dry out a while, and probably blow first actually

also, if I remember right you'll see the valve jump up and maybe turn ¼ or a something ...... yeah, I'm pretty sure I am recalling correctly, but most importantly air comes from bowl and goes to venturi with respect to the hole the plunger is inserted to; for ruling out the valve anyways.

EDIT replace all instances of venturi with brass nozzle thingy that sticks into the venturi, clearly when the bowl is off the venturi is sitting on the bench or something
Old 10th August 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

* I mentioned the float 3/16 measurement as general info to help the poster, Set too low it starves - Too high gas pisses out the overflow onto the Magneto or Distributor , and that won’t be pretty ..
Old 11th August 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: '89 GL1500 & '71 CB750
Other Motorcycle Year: ^^^^
ZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond reputeZTatZAU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricusa View Post
Are there any good quality accelerator pumps still available out there for these carbs? The ones I've found so far are cheap & useable. Even Zenith refers you to Chinese made kits. I just had to order a NOS Harley #27762-71TA from Australia! Still have a couple bikes with these carb's.
I'm wondering what ever happened to RICUSA and how this thread has gotten so far afield??? This discussion has really wandered from the OP's question?

Ricusa simply asked if anyone knew where to get a good quality accelerator pump. The Zenith kit (from Zenith or D/K) contains an accelerator pump that works fine. (Purple color plunger as opposed to black or gray)

Ricusa said, "... The ones I've found so far are cheap & useable..." Though I'm guessing that he meant un-usable; but he never explained what the problem was.

From what I've read the cheap black accelerator pump plunger cups are difficult to insert into the barrrel without distortion and lose their seal. But the purple zenith plunger cups worked just fine for me and seem to work fine for many others.

The only other problem I've learned about is some of the accelerator plunger shafts are too long above the single hole (or multiple adjustable holed) pin that secures the shaft to the pump actuator. The extra length can cause the end of the shaft to hang up on the actuator. The Doctor 71 wrote about this problem here...

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...mp#post5724843 (see POST #12)

And posted his fix for this problem here...
http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...20&postcount=7

I'm still learning here but I hope this helps the OP!

ZT (Ironhead Apprentice)