The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Pipes "Wheezing" on decel
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 888
0 shovster ignition timing
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 243
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 31,712
Views: 1,876,611
0 e bay deals i got past 2 weeks
Last Post: mct496
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 718
0 "The Blues" thread!
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,186
Views: 192,694
0 Through The Years
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 130
0 Something different: 1948 Willys Truck
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 10,415
0 Putting the Sport back in the Sportster
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 189
0 Latest toy arrived... 1967 Sportster XLB
Last Post: boonoorong
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 3,749
0 winding idle up excessively to start bike.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 86
Views: 5,103
0 Chain: What Type?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 770
0 A few Thoughts
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,381
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 39,625
Views: 5,219,941
0 Cams for a Turbo XL1200H
Last Post: casual_obser
Replies: 4
Views: 499
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,912
Views: 501,174
0 What's Wrong With My Bike
Last Post: PoodlePunche
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 162
Views: 11,059
0 A year later...
Last Post: Andy56
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 338
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 55,674
Views: 9,551,471
0 HD announces end of the Sportster model
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 2,170
12 POLL: How many times have you dropped a motorcycle?
Last Post: gconnsr
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 142,437
0 trimmed shovel top hats
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 285
0 Amazon CV carb
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 1
Views: 121
0 Belt tension
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 33
Views: 1,881
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Bryan1976
Replies: 9,920
Views: 2,445,640
0 Ignition circuit
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 7
Views: 372
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 5,491
Views: 1,288,315
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 790
Views: 124,070
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 341
Views: 74,193
0 Buell XB top end on Sportster Who has Done It??
Last Post: Racepres
Posted On: 2 Days Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 613
0 distributor
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 2 Days Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 417
More...
Members Birthdays
breakwind, OkieHD1911 (73), Sal77 (68), Jeffro (52), NYSPORTY (47), lordharley (46), gearzslyb (29)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2022
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reroute oil lines on my 1991?

I was inspecting my oil lines today, still appear serviceable, but, I did realize that the dirty deed of changing them is coming. So, I had an idea.

The stock routing (from the pump) is rather roundabout between frame and under the engine, across to the left side, and back up behind the primary case and frame, and across to the tank.

I was thinking perhaps I could route one (or both) lines behind the sprocket/cam cover, across in front of starter end, and to the tank, like the newer models seem to do. I have the 1/2" under battery tank drain hose, so that can stay the same as can the vent line. This would keep both feed and return on the right side, no crossing/under, over, up, and across. The feed line looks rather straightforward, if I can route down through the cover, a straight drop to the pump. Half a loaf would be better than none, if only the feed line will fit, I can still route the return by the original pathway. That would save almost 2' of hose on the feed side.

Has anyone with a '91-'93 bike tried this potential reroute? Looking from underneath, it looks like at least one hose should make it.

Since the pump fittings are still in the same place in 2022, it may be an easy reroute. Who knows?

Maybe I should have posted in the rigid frame section. Feel free to move it.

John
Old 14th August 2022
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

No reason you couldn't do a re-route. The original packaging was most likely done for assembly line convenience.

I looked at my '17 and the lines aren't run under the sprocket cover but are under the rear of the cam chest cover, immediately behind the cam chest, in front of the front sprocket cover mounting boss. They run under the cover area many trim off. They run over the top of the sprocket cover en route to the oil tank.
Old 14th August 2022

John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
No reason you couldn't do a re-route. The original packaging was most likely done for assembly line convenience.

I looked at my '17 and the lines aren't run under the sprocket cover but are under the rear of the cam chest cover, immediately behind the cam chest, in front of the front sprocket cover mounting boss. They run under the cover area many trim off. They run over the top of the sprocket cover en route to the oil tank.
That's the routing I was looking at as well, more positioned under the camchest cover and up. I'll do some more recon with better lighting.

John
Old 14th August 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

You gonna keep all the lines out from under the starter?
Pics?????

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Reference the XLFORUM'S Sportsterpedia
for additional technical information & advice
Old 14th August 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
You gonna keep all the lines out from under the starter?
Pics?????
The only line under my starter is the vent line. My feed and return run below the motor and just above the frame from the pump across to the left side and come up behind clutch hump on the back of the case. Then they go to the tank on the right side.

In the above from the FSM, it looks like the red and blue go under the starter but they are actually below the motor. Very poor drawing. Only the vent from the camchest runs under the starter.

This is the back end of the frame and engine, with both oil lines coming from the pump over to the left side.
Photo taken from underneath, upper area of photo is the pump side.

The "shiny" hose is the feed line coming up from the left side and below to the oil tank. You can see the smaller vent line coming from under the starter and the transmission breather hose where it connects to case. As you can see, it's quite a roundabout routing.

John
Old 14th August 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I see your point. That tranny vent pulled up under the seat and looped down or just down from where it is in the pic?
Here's mine coming off the pump if it helps any.

Old 14th August 2022

Yes, thank you for that picture! Rerouting the feed line looks like a slam dunk, but my return line may have to take the original route as can the vent line. My return and vent ports are on the back side of the tank, but my feed spigot looks about in the same place as yours.

Yes, my trans vent line does go up under the seat and loops back. Another long run of hose on my bike. Somebody had stock in Gates Rubber that designed my bike with such long oil lines and vent lines.

John