The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,186
Views: 301,050
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,064
Views: 7,725,446
0 Rear wheel alignment
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 945
0 Anyone know normal operating temp?
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 5,703
0 Ignition advice
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Replies: 37
Views: 1,067
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 20,939
Views: 2,152,907
0 Crank failure and ?? killed my 1275 Hammer Build
Last Post: npaisnel
Replies: 36
Views: 315
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 10,899
Views: 2,114,190
0 Sprortster Softail 1200 with Edelbrock NOS
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 13
Views: 303
0 CV carb running way rich!
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 147
0 I was at the gym yesterday
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 62
0 Koso hd-01-04 2014+
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 47
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,696
Views: 329,805
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 114
Views: 53,296
0 wavers
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 37
Views: 774
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 504
Views: 128,743
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 181
Views: 21,828
0 Need help with turn signal and tail light connections
Last Post: keys79
Replies: 11
Views: 193
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Sasnak75
Replies: 3,998
Views: 794,117
5 Harley T-Shirts
Last Post: Kbetts
Replies: 296
Views: 49,640
0 HELP Identify These Headers Please
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 516
9 1970 XLCH Project Not starting
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 94
0 Front Master Cyl rebuild question
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 340
0 Remember these?
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 14
Views: 554
0 Sissy bar with HD quick release bracket
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 1
Views: 119
5 Accidentally put Synthetic auto oil and caused engine to seize
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 25
Views: 1,205
0 Basket case
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 575
0 Cv carb jetting
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 9,194
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 583
0 Buell Blast headlight compatibility
Last Post: apotheon
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 153
More...
Members Birthdays
1911Bronco, Blackbird (82), thai808b (65), Nathan71 (51), lucky-13 (49), Barndog (47), discobanjo (43), albana (41), pat5150 (36)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant future
Default Removing rear mount with engine in place?

Multi-part post follows. I'm fairly certain the threaded portion (where the bottom bolts go) on the rear motor mount are all buggered up (stripped, mangled, etc.). Frustration has me ready to invest in a rear Pingel mount, as I should have done in the first place. This is a custom engine (taller than stock) in a custom frame (tighter than stock). Getting the engine in is a job, to put it very mildly.

Question: has anyone cut off the rear mount with the engine in place? If I'm being an idiot, please tell me and move on. I just don't look forward to removing and replacing that engine again. It looks like very careful use of a reciprocating saw can do the job, but the only thing worse than removing the engine again would be accidentally carving up the engine or frame with a Sawzall. The engine can be held in place with the front mounts and a scissor jack or two (I only own two) supporting the rest of the engine

Anyone? Here's the frame and engine to show my reluctance. Thanks for any input.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Getting the engine in is a job, to put it very mildly.
I am new to Sportsters, but others here have stated that it is much easier to lay the engine on its side and lower the [bare] frame over it. I haven't tried it, but it does seem much simpler. Would that work with your engine/frame combination???
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Tightening sequence is most important. Rear is done first.
See this link in the Sportsterpedia for tightening sequence.
Pay special attention to the "Further explanation of the tightening sequence" section.
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...k:ih:engmech09

Yes, you should be able to cut the stock mount off and install a Pingel.
More on that here:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...:ref:engmech09

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS850GL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
jsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to all

I just recently had to replace a broken rear mount. I wondered the same thing, and found it would not work. You will have to pull the motor, and if you want to remove the mount without splitting the cases, you will have to pull the 3 studs that go into the left case.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Scott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
I am new to Sportsters, but others here have stated that it is much easier to lay the engine on its side and lower the [bare] frame over it. I haven't tried it, but it does seem much simpler. Would that work with your engine/frame combination???
Yes, the engine can only be installed by laying the bare frame over it, and then doing a dance and praying. The rocker boxes are two piece. I just learned that they have to come apart to get the engine in the frame (it’s tall) and then get reassembled in the frame. That’s part of the challenge.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant future

Even if you could cut it off , how would you get the new one on?

Even if you could I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the aftermarket mounts need to be hand fit. I've had several that didn't sit square until a little massaging between the case and mount was done.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't finish that thought from my last post.
Yes, you should be able to cut the stock mount off and install a Pingel.
But the motor needs to come out.
Someone else had trouble with fitment and the Pingel needing massaged to fit on the case... needspeed? can't remember.
XLF member, paraord, used a Dremil tool to cut his out.
You've got more accessability with the motor out.
edit:
Here is some information on installing the motor by laying the frame over it if it helps.
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...k:ref:genmsr41

The trouble cutting it out is the 3 studs as jsandidge mentioned.
A sawzall is difficult to make a cut without slipping into the wrong piece.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Heff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of lightHeff is a glorious beacon of light

I think you could do it.
Things I think would help...
Dremel with cut-off discs.
A small, pneumatic reciprocating saw with proper blades, maybe trimmed to fit without hitting cases.
I'd cut off the top part of the mount first. Then the left and right side, where it's bolted to the frame.
That would leave you with the center of the mount, held in with the 3 case studs. I think with some careful trimming and use of cut-off wheels, you could work your way in to being able to double nut the studs. Maybe a little heat from a small mapp gas or propabe torch, where the studa go in the left case...you could probably remove the studs. Once those are out, the remains of the mount will come out. Install new mount with bolts...and that should take cate of that.
I think it can be done.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Thanks for the links, Hippysmack.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I have found the Pingal mounts to be very good.

However, nearly every frame I used them on needed some grinding on the twin tomahawk section to fit correctly.
The mounts rest on a narrow ledge machines into that casting. The engine mount needs to sit flush on there.
If your lucky it will fit. If not, I don't know how your going to get in there to grind away the problem.
And yes, the studs can be very difficult to remove at times.

Any "healthy" engine is probably going to break the stock alloy mount eventually. They aren't strong enough for stock engines.

Although I suspect a lot of them get broken due to problems with either the top engine mount or the front engine mounts.