The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 low rpm problem
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 180
0 Remember these?
Last Post: Parker 1000
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: vferdman
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 189
0 900cc Cylinders
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 303
0 Anyone using the V&H FUELPAK FP3 currently?
Last Post: Sportyman13
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 172
0 Speedometer Replacement - 2011 xl1200cp - how to remove
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 968
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,074
Views: 1,012,046
0 Kinda of a Dumb Question on Top End Build coming up
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 111
0 Basket case
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 198
0 Runway 06 C
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 162
0 wavers
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 15
Views: 252
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 48,039
Views: 7,717,426
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: trappnman
Replies: 14
Views: 542
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: trappnman
Replies: 20
Views: 675
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 110
Views: 10,507
0 Coil Resistance Question
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,892
Views: 2,145,520
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,133
Views: 1,727,470
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,891
Views: 2,111,325
0 Member "Wedge" Heads for 1275 Conversion
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 716
0 1275 Kit and Krome Werks Headers?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 318
0 Totally no connection fault..or is there?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 673
0 Rear wheel alignment
Last Post: v3ko123
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 535
0 Range With EFI 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: jzink0883
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 150
Views: 69,540
0 Compression tool for working on springer front ends?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 381
0 fender Installation & Components
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 487
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 761
Views: 63,647
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,671
Views: 225,221
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,903
Views: 1,047,792
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,762
Views: 637,125
More...
Members Birthdays
Desertfox (70), gd714 (60), insalltm (57), seagullplayer (55), ac_tx, jon686 (49), NineSixteen (45), dstroy12 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of
Default You are plowing ground that has already been tilled

In the 60-70s all avenues of Sportster performance were thoroughly explored and proven. Take it from someone who has been there and done that, stroking a Sportster will give you more usable performance than anything you can do. It's a proven technology and when you ride one you won't believe the difference in performance. The Sportster is not a Japanese bike, it is 50s design utilizing hemi heads and cubic inches for performance not RPMs. As a matter of fact spinning a Sortster past 6K is just wasting your time. It will easily go to 6800 or 7000, but it won't do it rapidly. Putting on a set of shovelheads will just add extraordinary mounting and frame issues and if I am not mistaken the shovel doesn't flow as well as a Sportster. 1 7/8" XLR intakes and 1 3/4" exhausts will give you everything you need. If you want to go that way, sell the Ironhead and buy an Evo. It is 1990s design. An S&S 4 5/8" stroke will give you about 75" and that's strong power. Your big jug idea will not come close to it in seat of the pants horsepower, torque and acceleration.
Old 25th January 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseChez View Post
im trying to get the bigger bore.....
I am not an expert on this, but it has been discussed here in the past. It is going down a wrong road to increase the bore as a route to more power. You can build a successful stroker - one member here has done it; but i think it too is a wrong road to follow.

Read the two books i referenced above.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 25th January 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of
Default Mick: Tems of Thousands of people have done it

It was the thing to do. Every KH Harley had it's flywheels stolen to do this, then George Smith made them for everybody. The only down side is you may use a little more oil. I rode one for years. They are dead reliable. We are not talking about automobiles here! You ride a Sportster for performance, this is the ultimate trip for performance. You are not condemning your bike to a life of misery, it is no big deal and it can be reversed if you think you can't deal with the trauma.
Old 25th January 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
It was the thing to do. Every KH Harley had it's flywheels stolen to do this, then George Smith made them for everybody. The only down side is you may use a little more oil. I rode one for years. They are dead reliable...
OK, so there are stroker kits available, such as one from S&S. I have heard that back order is many months. And a person should most definitely read all the cautions in the Sportster Performance book before doing anything. It is not a project for the inexperienced to learn on.

But i thought the originator of this thread is asking about boring to increase displacement for more power. And i think there is no significant gain to be had there.

Last edited by IronMick; 26th January 2009 at 04:35..
Old 25th January 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

The biggest bore used on Ironheads I've ever seen is 3.5 inches. At that size, the cases need to be bored and that makes them too thin in the lifter block area. So they have to have a weld build up to allow the boring with adequate margin for case strength. I don't even know if any one is making big bore cylinders for Ironheads any more. A stroker is more practical for the street and would give you a really good seat of the pants power increase.
Old 25th January 2009
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

Boys, come on now, let the guy go for it if he wants to. Who knows maybe he's rich. I don't think anyone is making Ironhead cylinders even Axtell. After all I don't want to be the only guy here with a big motor. I think when he finally realizes how hard it will be to get parts and the cost of them, plus the labor he might rethink it all. But I'll tell you this, nothing beats cubic inches.

Here is the welding between the lifters that will need to be done.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 25th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

FDNY,
I want that Motor when you are Ready.........
Monte

I mean't that I'd Love to Buy it.......
Old 25th January 2009
Drag Race Champion

SportyPig is on a distinguished roadSportyPig is on a distinguished roadSportyPig is on a distinguished road

Do a search on ebay, guy was selling trock big bore iron head cases and starting bid was 500.00. i dont think they sold, maybe he relisted them. Would be a good start to a very expensive project.
Old 25th January 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

D & S still sells cases, and STD makes a set as well. The problem is cylinders. Axtell does make custom cylinders, I just had a set of custom cylinders made for a revtech 100" motor last year. I gave some thought to an evo top on an early 'ch bottom. I was going to turn down the spigot of 883 cylinders to the biggest I could bore the cases, and fill the stud holes, redrilling for through studs. The big problem is top end oiling. All evos oil through the pushrods, and there is no easy way to plumb oil to the rockerboxes. It's also just as difficult to put oil through ironhead pushrods. Additionally, EVO top ends grow dramatically, so solid lifters are a bad idea with alloy top ends.

Big bores are superoir to strokers in a number of ways. Especially in a sportster, because they are capable of higher revs. The piston speed increases when you stroke a motor, leading to reduced piston/cylinder life, and lower redline rpms. A big bore is capable of stock-like reliability and redlines. The problem is the difficulty of adapting the cases. Early cases are flimsy and have minimal deck surface. Also a big bore will always breath better, as when you move the cylinder wall away from the valves you unshroud them. Big bore EVOs beat stroked EVOs easily. I'll take a 97" axtell over a 96" S&S any day!
Old 25th January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

Sounds like the Guy needs an EVO, I played with a Buell for 2 years and that bike was fast as a stocker, an Ironhead is a different animal, yes piston speed increases with the long stroke but for the dollar as many stated, the stroker will walk from the big bore Ironhead, a Sportster is a natural stroker anyway and the KH from the factory had a stroke of 4 9/16", that would be 1/16 larger than guys runnin S&S 4 1/2" stroke.
Add to my BS, the Man will pay a small fortune today to have the heads matched to the cylinders, relocating bolt holes, welding the case deck when the stroker using the 1000cc top just would have to be notched for the longer stroke, oil holes in jugs lowered.. there is no cheap way out dude..
How about this:Leave the stock displacement, have the heads Ported, Andrews R5 cams, S&S E carb, lighten the bike by 50 pounds and ride the shit out of it..