The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 1980 XLH Rocker Head question
Last Post: jc1980xlh
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 TC88A Programming Hardware
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 85
0 Hi , from NZ
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 38
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 130
0 Ironhead in the uk
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 182
0 Right rear turn signal out 2002 XL1200C
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 100
0 Send a note to Sportsterpedia Admin
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 111
Views: 18,806
0 Where can i find this led Tail light ?
Last Post: NightsterJoe
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 19
0 roadside belt change
Last Post: jazzman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 2,258
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: commando57
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 2,263
0 What do you get when you buy a bike ?
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 293
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,358
Views: 863,820
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 156
Views: 15,824
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 96
Views: 3,710
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 182
Views: 5,942
0 1970 XLH 900 color?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 Hi From Atlanta
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 138
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 20
Views: 994
0 Options for SE a/c cover
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 3
Views: 189
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 8
Views: 317
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Last Post: tussuck
Views: 253
0 External breathing systems
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 527
0 never mind
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 133
Views: 10,162
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 31
Views: 1,014
0 What kind of saddle do you use on your sporty?
Last Post: duffy
Replies: 285
Views: 82,528
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 696
Views: 183,762
0 Range feature on the speedo/tach combo
Last Post: Firehawk
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 163
0 H-D 2019 Financial Results
Last Post: jzink0883
Views: 50
0 K&N Air Filter for old SE style backing plate?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 9
Views: 371
0 cam lobes
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 34
Views: 2,054
More...
Members Birthdays
77xlch, buell_fxr (74), Danny (63), Wino (51), no_chrome (45), USMC_Davii (43), dijitaldna (38), 08nightmare
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Mr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura about
Default DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review

I bought a set of used Samson Original Big Guns "Low Magnum" from a fellow HD forum member. They are set to arrive this week, and I will post a review on those pipes in the future. The pipes are unbaffled, so I was interested in the DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts to place in the end of the Big Guns. I ordered the W158 set as per Kevin's recommendation, and received them in the mail 3 days after I ordered them (quick shipping, thanks!)

My '04 883xl currently has a generic set of slip-ons the previous owner had installed, except when I got the bike the baffles had been removed. It was loud, but not in a good way. There was a harsh drone at certain RPMs, and the metallic racket at idle had a hollow magaphone sound and I didn't like it at all. The performance also sucked, anything past 1/2 throttle just made more noise with no acceleration, and the coughing/sputtering was annoying. I ended up installing the baffles which improved the sound and performance somewhat, but in my opinion it wasn't the sound I was looking for and there was still coughing/sputtering when cold and if I tried anything 3/4 to WOT the bike fell on its face. I figured it was jetting/carb issues and just dealt with it until I could get different mufflers or pipes and then I would try to properly tune the bike.

I was bored the other day and thought I would try an experiment. I took the baffles back out of the slip ons and installed the TTI's in the mufflers. I used the bottom mounting holes for the baffles, but had to enlarge them with a 3/8" drill bit to fit the inserts. I centered the round part of the inserts in the pipe and have the threaded part facing in towards the engine as Kevin recommended. I just want to state I paid full price for these and am in no way affiliated with or compensated by DK Customs, and I don't have any dyno sheets or data to back up my claims. I ride daily to work and back and with the exception of three days where there was snow on the streets, I ride in ALL types of weather. When the temperatures are below 50 degrees F, I would need to use the enrichener knob for about 7 of my 9 mile commute, or the bike would sputter, cough, and be cold natured as hell.

Well this morning, it was 42 degrees when I left the house, and the enrichener was all the way in by mile 3. I can ride in 4th instead of 3rd at 35-40mph with no bogging or coughing, and the power delivery is smooth and linear. Its a whole different bike. I actually was able to wind it out through 4th for the first time ever, and it sounds amazing. It may be loud for some, but the harshness is gone, no drone, and it accentuates the potato/potato sound. I can't believe how much better the bike runs now. I haven't touched the carb or did anything else to the bike. I can't wait to leave work today to ride some more. I make a quick video of a cold start up after installing the inserts. It's best to listen through headphones or decent speakers with some bass response. With my Iphone earbuds the video is accurate to how the bike sounds. All I can say is anyone that wants to run an unbaffled exhaust should get these, for $30.75 shipped you CAN'T go wrong, and these solved a lot of the tuning issues I was having. I can't wait to get my Big Guns in the mail and install these inserts in those and see how the bike runs. I will do a writeup and video when that happens.

Last edited by Mr. Cro; 24th February 2014 at 19:53.. Reason: attach video
Old 24th February 2014
Biker

Mr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Cro has a spectacular aura about

The videos are posted below, I didn't know how to do it earlier.

Last edited by Mr. Cro; 5th March 2014 at 17:46.. Reason: fixed links
Old 24th February 2014
Biker

I'm having trouble embedding the video, sorry. The link is good though.
Old 24th February 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
DF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to beholdDF-SLICK is a splendid one to behold

Very Nice sounding machine. I would like to hear it with the new pipes too, when you get that job done.
2005 XL1200C. Vance & Hines two into one exhaust system, Mikuni HSR42, Stainless braided Throttle and F-Brake & Clutch lines, PM Front Caliper, EBC Floating front rotor. Round NRHS Air cleaner. F/Fork Intiminators, Ricor 13.5 rear shocks, Super Brace. Works Performance Front Springs. TC88A with Rico's Jester ignition maps. NRHS Stainless Oil Filter.

Old 24th February 2014
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Terry Smoove has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go.
DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts
Old 25th February 2014
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF-SLICK View Post
Very Nice sounding machine. I would like to hear it with the new pipes too, when you get that job done.
Thank you for the compliment. The pipes should be here tomorrow or Wednesday, and hopefully I'll be able to install them this weekend. I'll definitely update and shoot a new video.
Old 25th February 2014
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Terry Smoove View Post
Thank you, now that I'm replying to you via quote I see how to embed the code. I actually meant to post the longer of the two videos I shot.

This one
04 Sportster 883 w/ Dk Customs W158 Thunder Torque Inserts
Old 5th March 2014
Biker

Default Installed the Big Guns with the DK Customs W158's!

Okay,
An update...Installed the pipes with the inserts on Saturday, really am surprised at how smoothly the bike accelerates. I thought the pipes would be louder than the slip ons with baffles removed and TTI's inserted. I think because the slip-ons had a 3" opening vs. the 2 1/4" opening of the Big Guns, the slip ons had a deeper tone that actually became a little annoying on longer rides at sustained RPM. That's why if you have a 2 1/2" opening or larger DK recommends the W or Q 258 I bet. Anyway, I did learn an important lesson. Stupidly after the pipes were on and everything was tight, I noticed the bottom of the brake pedal touched the forward pipe when the pedal was fully depressed. I loosened the rear bracket bolt and moved the pipe down a little without loosening the exhaust manifold nuts. After 150 miles or so, I noticed an exhaust leak coming from the front pipe, I apparently stressed the front pipe and a factory weld where the pipe steps from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" cracked! So now I took the front pipe off to get it rewelded. I know now to get evereything lined up first and then tighten everything down. Well, here's the first startup video, I'll try to get a better one later next week. Enjoy!
Samson Big Guns w/ DK Customs W158

Last edited by Mr. Cro; 5th March 2014 at 17:14.. Reason: embed video
Old 3rd July 2015
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 883R
maurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to all

thanks for the info, I am about to order the thunder torque inserts. I prefer that sound myself to the full pipes.
Sponsored Links
Old 31st December 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Ironbel is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but can I ask a question?

I would like a beefier sound to... I still run stock exhausts and stock air intake on my 2009 iron....
If I use the TTI from DK customs, do I need a new intake or ViED fuel management?

Thanks,