The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: EL in NH
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,660
0 What jets should i buy? [88 1200]
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 651
0 What would you ask the Sportster Engineers/Designers?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 723
Views: 172,272
0 Sundowner seat positioning
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 189
0 I guess I'm back
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 75
0 Vote for Most Sought After Sportster
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 327
Views: 71,222
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: A Seabee
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,165
Views: 280,282
0 Right Hand fork leg 45922-00
Last Post: bimbo
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 159
0 Oil in air cleaner
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 2,163
0 Front brake is terrible
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 478
0 Question for RB racing exhaust guys/gals
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 306
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,019
Views: 288,698
0 '89 Sportster 1200 Chopper
Replies: 75
Views: 7,146
0 Tightening clutch basket nut (left hand)
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 24
Views: 320
0 Wet sumping?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 85
Views: 2,850
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Replies: 345
Views: 70,936
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: Len PA
Replies: 2,211
Views: 196,476
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: Hopalong48
Replies: 515
Views: 187,437
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: pdavis5160
Replies: 305
Views: 34,634
0 Exhaust - Generic questions
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 13
Views: 234
3 Ironhead Pictures Thread
Last Post: A Seabee
Replies: 1,992
Views: 796,371
0 Progress
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 16
Views: 288
0 GPS Speedo?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 31
0 Rutt's Hut Old Bike Night tonight
Last Post: Len PA
Replies: 2
Views: 174
0 Grounded
Replies: 26
Views: 816
0 74 XLCH - a revival
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 173
Views: 21,290
0 Ironhead Survey: Most desired bike
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 69
Views: 11,488
0 ....1
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,872
Views: 282,524
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,045
Views: 6,893,585
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Replies: 3,892
Views: 759,656
More...
Members Birthdays
longhair (65), Ozarkster (62), Monstermile (50), killswitch (50), yu69lorenzo (50), ChrisAF (49), Ingemar (48), Omega (44), bald_bueller (43), BEHIND BARS (42)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Naplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura about

Old 3rd September 2017
Biker

Naplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura about

In this picture showing the original spring on left, the one on right the one that came with Baker smooth shift kit. It makes a BIG difference. In my case, finding neutral is still difficult but the more I ride it the better I get at finding neutral.

Last edited by Folkie; 28th November 2017 at 00:02.. Reason: Fixed pic layout
Old 3rd September 2017
Biker

I also wanted to show another big change from original and Baker, the detent plate is bolted on and not using a clip. The plate is much more secure with no movement. Be sure to use lock-tite on anything that moves or vibrates. It would suck if it came loose.

Last edited by Folkie; 28th November 2017 at 00:02.. Reason: Fixed pic layout
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd September 2017
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
BlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud of

Great info Naplesron....gonna have to get into mine soon and drop the coin because the first gear engaging and disengaging from a start at a traffic light is starting to become scary. Thanks for the time and pictures. I will report back the same when I get to it.
Old 3rd September 2017
Biker

Trust me, it is worth it. I also agree, scary in traffic. B well
Old 1st August 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
canoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to behold

great thread and so glad and appreciative of the pictures you guys posted - makes a world of difference.

I've been getting the same "surge" in 1st gear occasionally for months now. Today for the first time 1st gear surged twice in quick succession - a very weird sensation and not fun as it happened in heavy traffic where we really depend on our bikes to respond instantly. I guess it's getting worse...

'92 XLH 1200 with about 33K.

there's a few things I don't understand yet but I'm just starting my research, mostly just wanted to say THANK YOU to all who posted their experiences and the pix!
Old 2nd August 2018
Flat Track Champion

BlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
great thread and so glad and appreciative of the pictures you guys posted - makes a world of difference.

I've been getting the same "surge" in 1st gear occasionally for months now. Today for the first time 1st gear surged twice in quick succession - a very weird sensation and not fun as it happened in heavy traffic where we really depend on our bikes to respond instantly. I guess it's getting worse...

'92 XLH 1200 with about 33K.

there's a few things I don't understand yet but I'm just starting my research, mostly just wanted to say THANK YOU to all who posted their experiences and the pix!

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 11th December 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

canoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to beholdcanoli is a splendid one to behold

thanks Dave I will.

I was hoping to do everything in one day but now I think I better take a look inside first. These tranny gears are not exactly cheap. I haven't shopped around much but my usual supplier (stcharlesharleydavidson.com) has 1st gear countershaft for $182 and $76 for 3rd gear countershaft. IIRC these are the 2 gears most folks replace...? Anyway I'll take a good look first before I order anything.

Hopefully I'll get to it before the new year. Thanks again you guys!

btw - I saw somebody in this thread used an impact gun to remove the clutch and engine sprocket nuts. I was planning on using one too but I read somewhere that the magnets on the rotor could be disturbed by using an electric impact gun. My bike is a '92 with 35K and I doubt these nuts have ever been removed. Is it risky using an electric impact gun?
Old 12th December 2018
Flat Track Champion

canoli, You don't need to use one. It's not that hard to get off. It helps to have an extra set of hands to keep the bike still but you can do it by yourself.
Old 12th December 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

That's good to hear Dave, thanks, then I won't bother trying to get one. I got some rigid pipe laying around the shop to slide over the ratchet handle. I assume I'll need some kind extension. Otherwise I'm pretty well set on the procedure.

I guess I'll understand it better once i go in but right now i don't see the wear on the chamfer in the pix posted earlier. I forgot who posted them but it's the side-by-side shot of 2 gears, new and old.