The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > HARLEY STREET 500 and 750 FORUM > HARLEY STREET 500 and 750 Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Which Battery?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 15,363
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: Len PA
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 631
0 Right rear turn signal out 2002 XL1200C
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 10
0 Early 60's headlight "brow", "mount", "visor" or whatever you want to call it.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 5,409
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 126
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,218
Views: 452,217
0 Sonnax, Timken, Torrington
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 452
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,335
Views: 863,298
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 591
0 so where the heck is insane shane?
Replies: 8
Views: 357
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 16,384
Views: 1,596,107
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,901
Views: 506,688
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 3,571
0 Issues with my jiffy stand... HELP!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 10
Views: 181
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 2
Views: 153
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 1,057
Views: 335,224
0 Any1 running this ignition??
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 5
Views: 135
0 Celebrating Sportsterpedia's Fourth Anniversary
Last Post: DéDé
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 91
0 Rear Sprocket for Belt
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 97
0 TC88A update ?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 1,189
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 244,609
0 Rain pants
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 166
0 Changing stock Speedometer mount
Last Post: sarcvicious
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 437
0 Do you have the service manual?
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 763
Views: 203,234
0 Too HOT to ride?
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 323
Views: 25,456
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 22,285
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 154
Views: 15,766
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,197
Views: 7,321,862
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,084
Views: 301,968
0 Hi from Spain!
Last Post: corndog76
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,275
More...
Members Birthdays
Taipan (61), Harveyveepower (60), regoscar (51), kmm0000 (45), SmokeyDrifter (37)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Street XG500
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
RDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant futureRDHenley has a brilliant future

After reading through this whole thing and enjoying some of the back and forth, and some of the off topic too, I found an often overlooked thing I can completely agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
If Harley has to meet EPA corporate emission standards, maybe selling electric and water cooled bikes with allow them to keep selling air cooled bikes. I'd like to think that more sophisticated cooling systems with oil and fuel injection can keep air cooled heads and cylinders around longer than we think.
+1 for bringing that up, I'd have given you some rep on that but apparently I have to spread some more around first as I've already rep'd you for the suspension thread. Most people would be amazed at how much government regulation affects what's manufactured, in some cases probably as much as the demands of the marketplace. Having some things that surpass the standards in the line helps offset the penalties for producing what the marketplace really wants but doesn't meet the standards.

And then, something I completely disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Problem is, it looked too heavy and too big for beginner, small in stature, riders. In that case, the Honda Rebel 450, or 400, whatever it is now, would probably be a better first bike.
When we were shopping for a bike for my 5' 100lb daughter we looked at and test rode several different things, including a couple of Honda Rebels, and I'd about resigned myself to the idea that I was going to have to do some severe modification on a Sportster frame to get her on a bike that fit her proportions while still having enough seat and suspension to be comfortable on the fine potholes and frost heaves that Colorado calls roads. Even a friend's extremely lowered 883C was just a bit too tall for her, and it has almost nothing in the suspension and seat department.

Just watching her navigate around the dealership parking lot on the XG500 it was apparent we'd found her a bike, she just looked so much more comfortable with it than anything we had tried. (Though the sales lady about had a cow when she found out I was letting a 16 year old run it around the parking lot. Teach her to turn her back on me after handing me the key, though truth be told, even more so than the test drive I took, that is what actually sold the bike. ) While I'm no expert on such things, I think center of gravity has a lot more to do with the feel than the actual weight, because I have a few friends that think my Sporty feels heavier than their Softails and StreetGlides, but it obviously isn't. I'll allow that the Street is a bit cramped for my 5'9"/34" inseam, and with my 200lbs on it, it's not the quickest. But with her 100lb weight, even the little 500 doesn't have any trouble keeping up on the highway, and with the addition of the windshield it's not that bad to take on a longer ride.
Old 16th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: YES
oupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond reputeoupa has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree on the too heavy for... line being untrue. While lighter bikes are easier to do a lot of things with, balance and comfort far outweigh... umm weight, in my experience.

I'm guessing more people riding cruisers can't pick them up than can. Thing is, if you don't fall down you shouldn't have to!

TELLING someone they need a lightweight, underpowered bike to "learn on" is an instant confidence blow. The real key is a bike the beginner is comfortable and confident on and then riding within his/her comfort level. This is advice a whole lot of people could benefit from if they'd face their "confidence level" instead of trying to look macho.

I'm liking the Street 750 more everyday. As the race bikes come together (finally!) I'm slowly accepting the present. The future (EV's) is gonna take some more time.