The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Which Battery?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 15,363
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: Len PA
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 631
0 Right rear turn signal out 2002 XL1200C
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 10
0 Early 60's headlight "brow", "mount", "visor" or whatever you want to call it.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 5,409
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 126
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,218
Views: 452,217
0 Sonnax, Timken, Torrington
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 452
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,335
Views: 863,298
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 591
0 so where the heck is insane shane?
Replies: 8
Views: 357
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 16,384
Views: 1,596,107
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,901
Views: 506,688
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 3,571
0 Issues with my jiffy stand... HELP!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 10
Views: 181
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 2
Views: 153
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 1,057
Views: 335,224
0 Any1 running this ignition??
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 5
Views: 135
0 Celebrating Sportsterpedia's Fourth Anniversary
Last Post: DéDé
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 91
0 Rear Sprocket for Belt
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 97
0 TC88A update ?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 1,189
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 244,609
0 Rain pants
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 166
0 Changing stock Speedometer mount
Last Post: sarcvicious
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 437
0 Do you have the service manual?
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 763
Views: 203,234
0 Too HOT to ride?
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 323
Views: 25,456
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 22,285
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 154
Views: 15,766
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,197
Views: 7,321,862
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,084
Views: 301,968
0 Hi from Spain!
Last Post: corndog76
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,275
More...
Members Birthdays
Taipan (61), Harveyveepower (60), regoscar (51), kmm0000 (45), SmokeyDrifter (37)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS850GL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
jsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the rough
Default Valve stem seals

Like just about everything else, I've heard conflicting things about Ironhead valve stem seals. I've heard not to use them, I've heard you have to modify some parts, and I've heard there are seals that fit.

Are there seals that fit? If so, what are they, and where do I get them?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

I look at it this way.

Ironhead valve guides are very short.

Now you want to shorten them more to make room for a seal? This will shorten guide and valve stem life. Then put on a seal and take away the oil?

Why?
Old 1 Week Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 XLH1200Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 FXDB
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold

No valve guide seals. Besides being too short already, the oil on the valve stem lubricates it and has a valve cooling effect. The oil will always be cooler than the cast iron head.
Old 1 Week Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 88" softail frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1250 Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Randy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of light

I have successfully installed valve stem seals to stock motor with P cams.
I only modified the outter diameter of the guides to fit car type seals.
I had to make sure that there's enough room for them but with P cams it was OK.
No problems at all, no mysterious valve seizure, no excessive valve guide usage.
I could agree that teflon seals could make the stems dry but not viton seals, they allow enough lubrication to keep them alive and well.
20k miles on this motor so far and zero problems.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

A local machine shop installed valve stem seals on my motor against my instructions. Many of these guys have expert knowledge but do not understand about vintage engines or IronHeads in particular. I hate it when they get arrogant and will not listen to the customer.

Anyway the result was that the exhaust valves would stick, consistently under a specific condition - riding at a constant 70 MPH for about 5 miles. Then I would pull off the road, let it cool and carry on.

It was very annoying as you can imagine, and humiliating when riding with my IronHead buddy. It definitely spoiled the higher speed excitement we enjoyed.

I did not know that there were valve seals in there. I had never seen one previously. But when I took down the top end and saw these things in there I immediately knew what they were from many years of discussions on this forum.

I took them out, re-assembled, problem solved.

They were never installed by the factory, they are not ever needed, the exhaust valves do need the oil for cooling, it is risky to install them. Don't do it.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

No one has said why valve seals SHOULD be installed.

What is the benefit?

There is no catalytic convertor to protect! At least on mine...
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

old subject
truth told, seals are DESIGNED to leak, they WILL not stop oil usage only control the amount used. seals are useful on the design of the engine oiling where there is a flooding of oil. the ironhead does not fall into this area. waukesha used to use shields, then went to seals and then went back to shields due to issues and that only the inlets were shielded.
hd said that 500 mile to a qt of oil was normal and not a warranty issue, my 1974ch new from the box got 1000 miles to a quart and no issues.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS850GL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
jsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the roughjsandidge is a jewel in the rough

On the Jap bikes that I'm used to, you will get unusual smoking on start-up when the seals go bad. I have replaced them and cured the issue. I don't have this problem on the Ironhead, but thought about the seals since my top end is torn down. After hearing what you guys have said, I won't be installing them. Thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Oh yeah!
Serious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud of

Installed them on mine, no problems. Them and new rings drastically cut oil consumption. Once the rings are properly run in I expect this to reduce to negligible. Then I'm going to try surface discharge plugs.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
A local machine shop installed valve stem seals on my motor against my instructions. Many of these guys have expert knowledge but do not understand about vintage engines or IronHeads in particular. I hate it when they get arrogant and will not listen to the customer.

Anyway the result was that the exhaust valves would stick, consistently under a specific condition - riding at a constant 70 MPH for about 5 miles. Then I would pull off the road, let it cool and carry on.

It was very annoying as you can imagine, and humiliating when riding with my IronHead buddy. It definitely spoiled the higher speed excitement we enjoyed.

I did not know that there were valve seals in there. I had never seen one previously. But when I took down the top end and saw these things in there I immediately knew what they were from many years of discussions on this forum.

I took them out, re-assembled, problem solved.

They were never installed by the factory, they are not ever needed, the exhaust valves do need the oil for cooling, it is risky to install them. Don't do it.
I want to add to this...
I changed the oil at every ~1000 miles. It was never down by more that a few or several ounces.