The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 245
Views: 83,502
0 New build. Won't start. Funky compression numbers
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,184
0 Exhaust differences from 98 to 99
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 26
5 Red Shift cams similar to Jackhammer 570 ?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 246
0 New pn OEM battery for Sporty 04 up
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 130
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18,108
Views: 1,068,396
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,122
Views: 356,374
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,068
0 My 08' Nightster
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 690
0 Can I use heads and jugs (top end) from 2001-1200
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 122
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 22,166
Views: 2,268,237
0 Sportster fans, tell us why!
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 686
Views: 182,076
0 front brake caliper interchange question
Last Post: Seek4aws
Replies: 9
Views: 1,825
0 Year electronic diagnostics started
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 86
0 99 1200S Sport Ignition Troubleshooting
Replies: 28
Views: 861
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 4,836
Views: 664,537
0 72 heads, do these look normal?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 24
Views: 744
0 82 E84 L84-85 charging systems?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 97
0 Piston Question '82 Ironhead 1000 Electric Start
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 75
0 Send a note to Sportsterpedia Admin
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 138
Views: 30,615
0 Hard saddle bags -
Last Post: Samedward
Replies: 2
Views: 10,885
0 Muffler Insulation / Packing Suggestions
Last Post: Samedward
Replies: 6
Views: 182
0 Potential future changes for the Sportster motor?
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 49
Views: 2,008
0 Race Reort: Some Disasters, Some Wins
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 872
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: ftwflh
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,014
Views: 412,758
0 Whats the Ironhead TOP SPEED?
Last Post: XL Dane
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 140
Views: 18,181
4 What will 10 cents buy?
Last Post: Iron Chuck
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 29,937
0 $700 Ironhead ? Good value? depends who you ask
Last Post: DollarBil
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,932
0 never mind
Last Post: Proteus
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 192
Views: 25,607
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 112
Views: 55,678
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (76), demgdaj (70), Playtoe (65), shanneba, Charlie Allen (61), the cowboy way (61), P-Diddly (58), Utahsporty (57), evo-pete (56), stf420 (55), NevadaRob (53), Punisher (51), Razor_Reznor (46), Paycheck (43), jfs92579 (41)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond repute

If everything; bendix (called the "Starter Drive Gear Unit" in the parts manual), its shaft, etc. all the way through to the starter motor turns then yes. If the bendix alone turns then the thing is slipping inside. Mine "felt tight" and kept testing fine on the bench but wouldn't grab when trying to turn the engine over. Before I gave in and admitted defeat, I had my starter out and back in so many times I though about replacing the bolts with zippers.
A word of advice; There's a thrust washer on the end of the bendix shaft where it plugs into the bearing in the primary case cover. Make sure it doesn't get away into the primary as you remove the starter 'cause it usually ends up being stuck to the inside of the primary cover by nothing more than a thin film of oil and is easy to dislodge.
And make sure it's on the bendix shaft when you reassemble. A dab of grease will hold it there.
Old 19th August 2019
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
USAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of light

SOLVED...

I'm normally not a fan of just pulling parts in an attempt to find trouble. However, after pulling the battery tray, tray support, and the solenoid, I placed the combo on the workbench.

I knew there was slop, but all the XLH videos showed the same slop, and the end of the starter shaft wasn't being supported by the roller bearings in the primary cover, so slop was expected.

Until I pulled the starter shaft and looked at the end that goes into the opposite roller bearing...

The bearing isn't rusty, but is seized and not one of them rolls. Anyone have a solid jack shaft for a 75?
Old 19th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond repute

The shaft has definite problems. Still curious as to bendix condition. I'd seriously consider replacing it with a fresh one since you've already got it this far apart.
Slap it back together and find the problem still exists is something I've been known to do.
Old 19th August 2019
Greasemonkey

USAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of lightUSAFpj is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, sir- that's advice I will take; already paid good money for it! I see that most of the shafts these days are made in Taiwan...

Always something..
Old 20th August 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with this one.

SPORTSTER-starter-jackshaft-1967-1980

Be sure and replace that bearing as well.

65-86-Panhead-Shovelhead-STARTER-SHAFT-HOUSING-BEARING-9062
Old 25th August 2019
Greasemonkey

After installing the new bendix back onto the new shaft, attaching the solenoid, and cursing the battery mounting bracket for over an hour, I finally got everything attached back on the bike. With fresh battery, and not caring that fuel was pouring out of the small fuel filter and float, I hit the start button. Got a little action. Turned off the fuel, opened the throttle wide open, and hit the start button again...

After sitting for 28 years, my Dad's XLH came to life and scared the crap out of me and my 2 boys; I surely didn't think it would start!

Unfortunately, I spend months away overseas for work, and I leave again very soon. But when I return, I only have to put a new primary gasket on, and attach the balanced wheels, and she'll be ready for her first (of many) shake down runs.
Old 25th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

At least while your gone, you'll have a smile on your face and a story to tell, when you think of the bike!
Old 26th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Glad to hear you got the starter problem ironed out. Now you can look forward to many riding miles when you get back.

"After sitting for 28 years, my Dad's XLH came to life and scared the crap out of me and my 2 boys; I surely didn't think it would start!"

Hey, what did you expect it to do? It's a Sportster.

Happy riding.
Old 26th August 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant future

Just think soon you'll be passing it on to your boys.What did the bearing look like?
Old 26th August 2019
Greasemonkey

The bearing 'looked' good. But when i stuck my pinky finger in it, none of the rollers moved either individually, or as a unit. No visible rust, though.