The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Crank Seal Missing; Is My Engine Damaged?
Last Post: MkC
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 187
0 2004 ICM
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 2,090
0 Willi is back!!!!
Last Post: bplinson
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 27,506
0 Front brake hose
Last Post: flthd31
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 61
2 Your daily tunes...
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 5,727
0 Exhaust pipes
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Views: 100
0 It's me - Kokopeli.
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 19
Views: 965
0 Anyone carry a gun while riding ?
Last Post: bill smith
Replies: 469
Views: 86,016
0 Your trans/engine rebuild advice
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 4
Views: 99
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,081
Views: 982,904
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,785
Views: 2,036,340
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 676
Views: 56,311
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 691
Views: 50,362
0 Proper XLCH
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 75
Views: 16,275
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Replies: 356
Views: 33,936
0 chrome xlch bosch regulator cover
Last Post: 1968xlch900
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 418
Views: 59,378
0 Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ!
Last Post: Bow only
Views: 54
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 491
Views: 122,943
0 Highway cruise speed
Last Post: xElvis
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 256
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 343
Views: 37,184
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 19,270
Views: 1,951,379
0 2006 Sporty Charging System Upgrade
Replies: 14
Views: 543
0 Problem on a trip
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 13
Views: 195
0 Chinee Ignition
Replies: 11
Views: 489
0 900cc Pistons
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 280
0 Top End Whirring Sound
Last Post: Jason's Sporty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 101
0 Simplified Wiring and Bars
Last Post: wannabehero
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 598
0 The farthest Ive ever trailered a motorcycle.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,593
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,410
Views: 320,431
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud ofcazz1000 has much to be proud of
Default what you think

110 on the rear cold,,120 when hot with a squirt of oil,,,, ,front cold 135 ,,hot 137,,,,, no smoke,, these are from cold,,to idle to really really ride,,, to a 10 mile hott ride,,,,, got up to 65 mph,,, woo hooo,,,, 3200 to 3300 rpm,,,,,, come back home and take readings,,, same no change,,,,,,,, just ride right,, that's what I thought,,,,,,, good night brother.s and sister,s,,,
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: 111 Ironhorse Outlaw
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to beholdRicThompson is a splendid one to behold

3200 to 3300 rpm? You gotta up them numbers man!
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”!!
Amen.....
It is amazing how people want to take completely good engines apart "To see if everything is OK" The guy I sold my Sportster to 34 years ago is still talking to my friend Jim about who can take it apart. It was a 77" motor that I built, Dytch 3 1/4 barrels, S&S 4 5/8 wheels, a set of hand built ported XLR valved heads done for a Bonneville racer by Robert Tomrose and Chris Zootis, It had the transmission ring installed, rocker arm springs replaced for Bunting Bronze spacers, even had KR barrel nuts. Sifton collars and keepers, Sifton minus/minus cams and S&S pushrods. It ran like snot used a bit of oil because of two ring forged pistons. I'll bet that motor had less that 10,000 miles on it and the guy who bought it NEVER rides it. But he wants to take it apart. If I wasn't 75 I'd buy it back and just park it in my garage to keep anyone from screwing it up.

Last edited by 11B40; 1 Week Ago at 09:09..
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicThompson View Post
3200 to 3300 rpm? You gotta up them numbers man!
Absolutely!
You can cruise at 4,000 with no harm. They are just coming up on the cams at 38-4,000. I have had a 55" motor at 8,000 by accident at the drags. It was shaking like a volcano when I happened to look at the tac and almost fainted.
Carl had talked me into a 16 tooth sprocket for one run...
They are not cars......
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
Amen.....
It is amazing how people want to take completely good engines apart "To see if everything is OK" The guy I sold my Sportster to 34 years ago is still talking to my friend Jim about who can take it apart. It was a 77" motor that I built, Dytch 3 1/4 barrels, S&S 4 5/8 wheels, a set of hand built ported XLR valved heads done for a Bonneville racer by Robert Tomrose and Chris Zootis, It had the transmission ring installed, rocker arm springs replaced for Bunting Bronze spacers, even had KR barrel nuts. Sifton collars and keepers, Sifton minus/minus cams and S&S pushrods. It ran like snot used a bit of oil because of two ring forged pistons. I'll bet that motor had less that 10,000 miles on it and the guy who bought it NEVER rides it. But he wants to take it apart. If I wasn't 75 I'd buy it back and just park it in my garage to keep anyone from screwing it up.
I know how that feels...I can't look inside your wallet of course but I'd buy it back anyway. People like this do not deserve this bike. Give him a basket case so he can 'improve' it in stead of xxxx-up a perfect bike.
What's 75? It's just a number that goes up every year. You have too many years left to enjoy these things. When you are in your 90's you can park it in your own garage and look at it.
Old 1 Week Ago
SPANIARD

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 ₪ 1275
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Big Dog K9
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Highly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
I know how that feels...I can't look inside your wallet of course but I'd buy it back anyway. People like this do not deserve this bike. Give him a basket case so he can 'improve' it in stead of xxxx-up a perfect bike.
What's 75? It's just a number that goes up every year. You have too many years left to enjoy these things. When you are in your 90's you can park it in your own garage and look at it.
Well said!!!

Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like ambient air temps around here. Oh? We are talking scooters.

Stock sucks.

Traveled to
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
Magneto Sportsters are very physical motorcycles. They are hard to kick when you have no legs left, they are hard to keep upright when you are trying to bump start them, looking behind by twisting your torso around is almost impossible now ......and if you peek too long you will be either off on the right or on the left. Mine was a light 440 lbs and I used to just pick up the 200 lb engine when I was working on it. All that is gone now. The ultimate reason I sold it was I could see helmets coming down the pipe pretty soon and I just had a new baby boy, I did not want to end up on the grill of some drunk farm workers truck. Last, we did what is called T&T riding exclusively, that is Tavern to tavern. I was drunk most of the time I rode it and I could see the Mad Mothers as a future problem. Today there are twice as many drivers on the same roads and they are for the most part, lousy drivers and a large percentage are drunk too. In my Sonoma County there are 38,000 illegals that drive with no license or insurance. Most are from southern Mexico, Oaxaca and they drove sheep and cattle not automobiles. It is stunning what these folks do to the rest of us and then just walk away. Physically, my back is arthritis top to bottom from lineman accidents. I walk with a permanent stoop. I have no feeling in my feet from mid-shin down as a result of Peripheral Neuropathy from agent orange. Two years in the Army and one in Vietnam, it all comes due when you stop playing sports and keeping everything tuned up. It is a sad situation but I'm lucky to be still alive at my age.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
Magneto Sportsters are very physical motorcycles. They are hard to kick when you have no legs left, they are hard to keep upright when you are trying to bump start them, looking behind by twisting your torso around is almost impossible now ......and if you peek too long you will be either off on the right or on the left. Mine was a light 440 lbs and I used to just pick up the 200 lb engine when I was working on it. All that is gone now. The ultimate reason I sold it was I could see helmets coming down the pipe pretty soon and I just had a new baby boy, I did not want to end up on the grill of some drunk farm workers truck. Last, we did what is called T&T riding exclusively, that is Tavern to tavern. I was drunk most of the time I rode it and I could see the Mad Mothers as a future problem. Today there are twice as many drivers on the same roads and they are for the most part, lousy drivers and a large percentage are drunk too. In my Sonoma County there are 38,000 illegals that drive with no license or insurance. Most are from southern Mexico, Oaxaca and they drove sheep and cattle not automobiles. It is stunning what these folks do to the rest of us and then just walk away. Physically, my back is arthritis top to bottom from lineman accidents. I walk with a permanent stoop. I have no feeling in my feet from mid-shin down as a result of Peripheral Neuropathy from agent orange. Two years in the Army and one in Vietnam, it all comes due when you stop playing sports and keeping everything tuned up. It is a sad situation but I'm lucky to be still alive at my age.
I now understand that my response was a little thoughtless as I read your response, I'm sorry about that. It never crossed my mind in my reaction regarding the bike. And I had completely forgotten about the fact that it's a kicker. It's sad to hear about your physical situation. I understand what you mean. Greetings and strength from a fellow infantryman, 11B40 .