The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 can you tell me why?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 856
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 7,254
0 A visit to the Norley workshop
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 279
Views: 71,169
0 Spark plugs another oddity. On 68 magneto
Last Post: Oldmxdog61u
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 98
0 Powervision autotune questions
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 161
0 Big bore kit vs salvage 1200 engine
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 2,017
0 Wont shift from 1st to 2nd
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 314
0 93 Sporty Key replacement
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Views: 96
0 Tapered Muffler Baffle Repair?
Last Post: Hornsmith
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 144
0 Roadster Dampers in Nightster
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 1
Views: 34
0 what you think
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 9
Views: 409
0 1955 KH motor on E-Bay
Last Post: night-train
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 183
0 Kayaba forks no springs? Help with missing parts
Last Post: Bturkey
Replies: 0
Views: 26
5 Tire Pressure?
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 41
Views: 3,230
0 Throttle Body loose
Last Post: MachU
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 1,944
0 Power cones
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,192
0 Wheels
Last Post: Merch131ho
Views: 408
0 What's your opinion on LED light kits?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Views: 218
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 899
Views: 83,696
0 clutchless 2003
Last Post: lehel
Replies: 8
Views: 159
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 19,063
Views: 1,926,365
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,774
Views: 2,026,430
0 Super E knock offs?
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 3
Views: 118
0 American Flat Track revised 2020 schedule released
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 3
Views: 168
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 613
Views: 51,372
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 460
Views: 96,112
0 Spark plug discrepancy
Last Post: Ted Town
Replies: 8
Views: 235
0 floor boards for rear passenger?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 2
Views: 77
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 3,976
Views: 783,431
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 117
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

The list of parts that you have to remove from a 1980< XLH to remove the solenoid is to long to list, and too frustrating to think about

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 19th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Here's another uniquely Harley-Davidson problem. The handlebars it came with were too wide to ride through the people-door in my one-car garage, so I bought a set similar but narrower. But the front master cylinder hit the speedometer gauge and the brake/throttle wouldn't slide on all the way - the banjo bolt hit the speedo.

So, after a member here pointed out that I could disassemble the speedo & tach without too much trouble, I removed the chrome gauge mount, cut one inch out of the middle and welded it back together, and re-installed the gauges. Now it fits through the door and the brake/throttle is on pretty much all the way.

Pic shows narrowed gauge mount with an OEM mount above it.

I can hardly wait for the next part that needs fixing/replacing.
Old 19th November 2019
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
Other Motorcycle Model: KZ 550
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
class of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to all

yes, it is fun fun fun I tell you!

IMHO, what I have read and have now done it is rather easy to work on.

I have had mine down and split cases for rebuild got screwed started over on my own and just bit the bullet and did it myself. I now have almost a 2nd E84 built from ebay parts and left overs now.

what I have learned is the 82 is the 25th anniversary for the sportster, 83 is a anniversary yr also the yr Harley was bought back from AMF.

IMHO-they did not screw it up again till the late 84-85 ironheads with the alt behind the clutch basket.

addicting also. I have 6 late model cyl heads/4 new cyls/2 primary set ups/ whole crap load of small misc stuff/3 complete wire harness-2 xlh 1-E84 roadster

working on a set of empty cases/trap door/primary & cam covers to build a 74 cubic inch stroker next

find a good machinist you can trust for the really important stuf and do the rest your self. only a couple special tools needed and most can be fabbed up at home.

sucks 4-5 things come off too do something but you get to know your sporty and you will find things before the are issues. like cracks/broke mounting tabs.

my rear MC was like that also. I got the 40" drag pipes and it only needed turned at the cyl port and adjust the rear pipe mount..got about a finger width

last of an era with 82/83/E84 ironheads.
Old 19th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74/5
paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
The list of parts that you have to remove from a 1980< XLH to remove the solenoid is to long to list, and too frustrating to think about
Feels the same on my 76 too. On the plus side these bikes have a lot less of that than many. A friend of mine has a Ducati on which virtually any simpe job involves first removing many parts to gain access.
Paul

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Old 20th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

OK, with everything connected as described in post/pics above (green alt + yellow alt wires connected to 'IG' on ign switch + white wire), I connected the battery and turned the ign switch to position #2. Oil pressure lamp came on but not the Gen lamp. Turned handlebar rocker switch to 'Run' and then hit 'Start' rocker. Engine turns over, still no Gen lamp. I turned ign switch to position #3, got F&R lights on plus Oil pressure lamp, no Gen lamp. Hit 'Start' and engine turns over.

My question here is - Should the Gen lamp be on with the engine turning over with it wired this way??? Showing that it has not reached the rpm where the alternator will charge the battery...

(The Gen lamp worked OK before removing the generator/regulator).

No tank or gas; cycle is in my house. If all had worked, I would open a door and connected gas tank w/gas and fired it up to check voltage. Ten inches of snow outside, taking it for a ride is not practical.

Last edited by ferretface; 20th November 2019 at 23:13..
Old 20th November 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

class of 82.july 4th 1981 the motor co.was bought back from amf.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 20th November 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: FLH Electra Glide 67/82
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
saddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
OK, with everything connected as described in post/pics above (green alt + yellow alt wires connected to 'IG' on ign switch + white wire), I connected the battery and turned the ign switch to position #2. Oil pressure lamp came on but not the Gen lamp. Turned handlebar rocker switch to 'Run' and then hit 'Start' rocker. Engine turns over, still no Gen lamp. I turned ign switch to position #3, got F&R lights on plus Oil pressure lamp, no Gen lamp. Hit 'Start' and engine turns over.

My question here is - Should the Gen lamp be on with the engine turning over with it wired this way??? Showing that it has not reached the rpm where the alternator will charge the battery...

(The Gen lamp worked OK before removing the generator/regulator).

No tank or gas; cycle is in my house. If all had worked, I would open a door and connected gas tank w/gas and fired it up to check voltage. Ten inches of snow outside, taking it for a ride is not practical.
idiot light should be «on» when you turn the ignition and will stay «on» until the engine start ,then it will go out if connect correctly,mean system is charging correctly,those Poweraythor has been check in every step of the building process,friom start to finish and final test with load test and idiot light in line,I mean every single one of them has been check and test that way,Ray
Old 20th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebagrail View Post
idiot light should be «on» when you turn the ignition and will stay «on» until the engine start ,then it will go out if connect correctly
That is what I had surmised from your instructions. Would you have any idea what I may have wired incorrectly??? Or what may still be wired but shouldn't be???
Old 21st November 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: FLH Electra Glide 67/82
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
saddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to allsaddlebagrail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
That is what I had surmised from your instructions. Would you have any idea what I may have wired incorrectly??? Or what may still be wired but shouldn't be???
your idiot light have one or 2 wires ? and housing of the idiot light is metal or plastic ?
Old 21st November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebagrail View Post
your idiot light have one or 2 wires ? and housing of the idiot light is metal or plastic ?
Looking up under the visor, I see two black wires going into a white plastic housing.