The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Air gap
Last Post: Aragorn
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 83
0 Spark plugs
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 165
0 Greetings from Missouri!
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 84
0 Slash cut drag pipes without oxygen sensors wanted
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 117
0 Differences? 1998 and 2002 Sportster 1200 Engines?
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 314
0 Crane HI4 ignition question
Last Post: juzyHD
Replies: 4
Views: 108
0 Huge pile of Ironhead Parts
Last Post: brianbbs67
Views: 373
0 04 21" spoked wheel front brake upgrade kit
Last Post: Calcustom
Replies: 10
Views: 241
0 Help with a Harley Davidson side bag
Last Post: motorfish
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 92
0 Corbin Hollywood Solo / Matching Passenger Pad?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 64
0 turning idle mixture screw no effect?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 8
Views: 155
0 Gel in seat for rigid?
Last Post: 84bobber
Replies: 1
Views: 118
0 RIBSTER PRIMARY? 2004 up vs 2001?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Views: 303
0 What Year Range of Heads & Cylinders?
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 173
0 883 Highway Speed?
Views: 223
0 Hello from LA
Replies: 10
Views: 354
0 Good afternoon!
Replies: 16
Views: 494
0 It's me - Kokopeli.
Replies: 12
Views: 561
0 New guy from Georgia
Replies: 8
Views: 130
0 Other Than Black XL Book
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 100
Views: 27,063
0 Transformer XR1200
Replies: 329
Views: 35,518
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 650
Views: 54,633
0 Show your bike next to an abandoned building
Replies: 48
Views: 15,055
0 Completely Chromed 10.5" Rear Lowering Shocks
Replies: 2
Views: 95
3 Ironhead Pictures Thread
Last Post: Kokopeli
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,014
Views: 829,447
5 Terminology Sticky?
Last Post: XLtimes
Replies: 75
Views: 20,591
2 Your daily tunes...
Replies: 21
Views: 5,161
0 DK customs suspension
Last Post: Bryan1976
Views: 258
0 Polished rotor/brake pad compatability
Replies: 13
Views: 420
0 '81 swingarm internals
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 172
More...
Members Birthdays
jeffcahill (67), jeebus (52), cdepaola (50), RubenAlonzo (50), chida66 (45)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmerf View Post
I think if you replace the problem gears with like Andrews I don't think your have a problem with it exploding.
right, it's just two gears. cheap insurance, really.
Old 17th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmerf View Post
I think if you replace the problem gears with like Andrews I don't think your have a problem with it exploding.
From reading the threads here, that seems to be the way to go. I would like to decrease the downtime by having a 'trans cassette' ready to go in. If that really isn't possible (due to required part-by-part shimming) then I'll just get the gears.

Whatever happens will happen in the middle of the night, on a weekend, probably in the rain. During finest riding weather. And it'll take weeks to fix. If it's fixable.

I'm a pessimist. If something bad can happen, it will. I'd like to be ready. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Old 17th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

ferretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud offerretface has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
right, it's just two gears. cheap insurance, really.
Yes. I'm hoping that counting the teeth will enable me to get the right 2nd countershaft and 3rd mainshaft gears. My XLH has been around for 36 years, the trans may have been replaced/rebuilt already. It may even already have Andrews gears in it.

But I can't count teeth without eyeballing the trans. Which is the reason for a spare. Already built, ready to plug in.

If possible.
Old 17th December 2019

doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

No need to count teeth on those two gears, they didn’t change. Having a fully/properly spaced spare trans is not a bad idea just maybe a little overkill. You can do all the spacing needed on the bench except for main and counter shaft endplays.
Old 17th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
No need to count teeth on those two gears, they didn’t change.
...???...The FSM shows different gear ratios for '79/'81 and '82/early '84. How can the gears be the same if the ratios are different??? (I am here to learn...)
Old 17th December 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
...???...The FSM shows different gear ratios for '79/'81 and '82/early '84. How can the gears be the same if the ratios are different??? (I am here to learn...)
i may be wrong on that, i only have the early parts book and an old vtwin catalog, however...

35750-58A 20t counter shaft '58-'90
35305-56A 20t main shaft '56-'90

there are different 1st gear and different 4th gear ratio sets, but those 20t gears have stayed the same (according to info culled from the vtwin catalog i have). see if anyone else agrees/disagrees with this info...
Old 17th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
i may be wrong on that, i only have the early parts book and an old vtwin catalog, however...

35750-58A 20t counter shaft '58-'90
35305-56A 20t main shaft '56-'90

there are different 1st gear and different 4th gear ratio sets, but those 20t gears have stayed the same (according to info culled from the vtwin catalog i have). see if anyone else agrees/disagrees with this info...
Those are correct numbers as noted in my parts catalog (minus the "A").

But what about the 23 tooth 2nd counter/3rd main gearsets??? Is it only the 20 tooth gears that are grenades???
Old 17th December 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Those are correct numbers as noted in my parts catalog (minus the "A").

But what about the 23 tooth gearsets??? Is it only the 20 tooth gears that are grenades???
reportedly, yes, only the 20t gears. another switch everyone who's done it will recommend is changing the 4th gear set to an andrews close ratio (often referred to as c4th or close 4th) what it does is eliminates the large rpm drop when shifting from 3rd to 4th. worth it's weight in gold, that one! do it now or do it later, just be sure to do it!!
Old 18th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
reportedly, yes, only the 20t gears. another switch everyone who's done it will recommend is changing the 4th gear set to an andrews close ratio (often referred to as c4th or close 4th) what it does is eliminates the large rpm drop when shifting from 3rd to 4th. worth it's weight in gold, that one! do it now or do it later, just be sure to do it!!
The 4th close-ratio gearset sounds interesting but I don't see those two gears listed in Andrews catalog/price list. Are they called something else??? "Main Drive" maybe???

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites.../page_29_0.pdf
Old 18th December 2019
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default Be proactive

You dont wanna wait till they break the cases end up busted alot of times
Ap#252040 counter 2nd 35750-58&58a
Ap#253050main 3rd 35305-56&56a
Both above are the 20 tooth gears known to break
If you have the extra loot you could replace the sliding 23 tooth gears also
Ap#252020 main 2nd 35296-56&56a
Ap#253030 counter 3rd 35709-54a&54b
The above 4 gears fit all 4 speed sportsters 57-90 they never changed
Ap#254740 is the c ratio main drive gear set
A little ironhead tranny story
A bro of mine bought an 82 he brought it by the shop. Igave it a quick look over nice bike everything looked ok but he knew no history on it so we agreed that the next weekend we would change all the fluids and remove the tranny to give it a look over. He called me later that day bring your truck something happened to the bike. Something ended up being counter 2nd hanging out the back of the cases